whats the cheapest/best way to get a CARFAX report, owner history?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By byrdman
All Cadillac Recalls and Your Car History Discussion, whats the cheapest/best way to get a CARFAX report, owner history? in Service history, Maintenance log, Recalls; at carfax.com it $40 for 1 and $60 for 3. Is there a cheaper/better way to get the info? -->...
    CaddysAreCool is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

whats the cheapest/best way to get a CARFAX report, owner history?

at carfax.com it $40 for 1 and $60 for 3. Is there a cheaper/better way to get the info?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Cadillac Forums
    Advertisements

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it.
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD

Re: whats the cheapest/best way to get a CARFAX report, owner history?

CARFaX is a voluntary reporting site. You may or may (probably) not get a full history for a selected car.

Go to the local GM/Cadillac dealer service lane on a quiet Tuesday afternoon and ask for a Cadillac printout of a VIN service history. You might get lucky.

byrdman is online now RIP Officer Tara O'Sullivan
    Automobile(s): 2003 DeVille base, 149K miles

info on Carfax is voluntary; it doesn't get there by magic. In the nearly five years I've had my Deville, the ONLY thing on there is the key recall. Carfax can be a source but it shouldn't be your only source.

CaddysAreCool is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

I got the carfax . I signed up for one and it billed me for 6 at $100!! That is not right. I will grieve that with my CC company. Pure theft.

When I got the report it said it had 2 owners but did not tell me the names. When I went to a used lot several years ago and looked at cars I asked for a vehicle history report on a used car I was interested in and the guy ordered one and was printing it in minutes . It showed all the names of all the owners and their info. Thats the kind I want and expected from carfax. I think carfax sucks. I will never buy from them again. Where can I get a report like the one from the car lot I was shopping? It seems to me that a couple years ago I was looking at a used Eldorado and managed to find a report online that did show the names and complete history. I dont remember paying for it either. Any ideas?

Sub are you saying the GM dealership in my town in the deep south may have records on a VIN from New Jersey?

Soapm is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2008 DTS

Most used car lots around here will give you a carfax just to show the title is clean (one owner etc...)

VIN service history from NJ available in the South??? Dude, it's the Internet. GM (or any other manufacturer) service history can be had worldwide.

Try the dealership service lane - there's a new acronym for the service but it used to be VIS. You get all the GM service and maintenance done on the car, whether in Hoboken or Hawaii or southeast Florida. Other CARFaX info is usually emissions tests and registration changes (states only).

CARFaX does not normally give previous owner personal info to prospective buyers - it's a privacy legal matter. I did not know that it disclosed that info to a Korner Kar Korral lot for public use. You want half the world knowing where you live and what car you just bought? The CARFaXes provided to me by both Fitzgerald Cadillac in Annapolis, MD and by Villa Marin Cadillac on Staten Island (original selling dealer) made no mention of the original buyer's personal info. I received that, and a lot more, after the selling dealership asked him if he would contact me. We're now telephone friends.

CARFaX does not "suck" - you jumped in against advice and paid for it. Dealerships and used lots pay quite a bit for the service and receive bulk discounts. You simply paid full retail.

...........here's some more homework. https://my.gm.com/home See if you can drill down to past service history. Or Google something like "general motors vis service history".

kbraniff is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V Stealth Gray stock (unmodded and happy this way)

I'm convinced I will never get a complete history for my car all in one convenient place. Before I purchased the car the previous owner got service at a variety of places including Cadillac and other GM dealers, non-GM new car dealers and non-manufacturer affiliated garages. Many of these reports are grossly incomplete. For example... One has no repairs listed at all. All that's on there is "car serviced". The Chevy dealer I go to now does not report repairs to Carfax. I keep my own mycarfax but it still does not have everything that should be there. Remedy? Anyone?

No remedy. Anywhere, anytime. It's all voluntary, outside of a GM dealership warranty reporting program.

If the car had zero warranty problems and was owned 10 years with service/maintenance at a non-reporting shop there is NO way you can track it all down. If the previous owner kept no online records and cannot forward paper evidence to you it's all moot.

99.999% of the time you buy a used car and what info you get is what the seller/dealer WANTS you to get.

byrdman is online now RIP Officer Tara O'Sullivan
    Automobile(s): 2003 DeVille base, 149K miles

Quote Originally Posted by kbraniff View Post
    I'm convinced I will never get a complete history for my car all in one convenient place.
    is there some alternate universe in which you should be guaranteed a complete history of your car in one convenient place? You bought a used car. You want a guaranteed history from day one, buy a new car and keep it.
    wanzik likes this.

ccclarke is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '02 ETC CE, '04 CTS-V, '04 XLR, '13 XTS Platinum

The right time to research a previously-owned vehicle's history is PRIOR to the purchase. Due diligence includes GM Build Sheets, the GM Service History, Carfax, and an independent mechanic's inspection. CarFax is probably the least comprehensive source of useful info, but occasionally it will report insurance-related information, (like an accident) so it's still a must-have item. Never accept a salesman's description/condition/promises or warranty information without it being in writing. They have one job - to sell the car at the highest price and get you to sign for it.

Having these reports in-hand cannot guarantee purchasing a car without issues, but the majority of owners with buyer's remorse do little more than a quick test drive before handing over their money. This forum is full of posts by complaining owners who didn't do their homework prior to a purchase.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

What Cadillac(s) do you own? (Or type NONE)

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in