Windshield - OEM or After Market
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

+ Reply to Thread
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, Windshield - OEM or After Market in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; The '08 CTS has a damaged windshield. What is best OEM or After Market? OEM cost is @ $800. After ...
    CDanDeville is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '08 CTS - 3.6 L

Windshield - OEM or After Market

The '08 CTS has a damaged windshield.

What is best OEM or After Market?

OEM cost is @ $800.
    After Market is @ $210.

Insurance coverage pays either way, minus an out-of-pocket deductible.

I have read and was told (mostly by the glass company) that there is no difference between the two other than the GM logo.

I also have read that OEM is better for safety reasons, quality, size, fit, finish, etc.

So Forum readers weigh-in. I can't see wasting the insurance company money on the other hand I do not want a sub-quality windshield.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Cadillac Forums
    Advertisements

HurstGN is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 Black Diamond CTS4 Premium Coupe (sold-09 CTS4 DI Black Raven/Ebony)

Re: Windshield - OEM or After Market

If you're still paying the same amount, then go for the GM windshield. That way if you decide to sell, it's not an indication of having been replaced. Otherwise, as I understand it, as long as it's from a reputable manufacturer, the quality is the same. I could be wrong but I hope not, as I had mine replaced last year.

CaddyFred is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '09 CTS DI FE1 Luxury

I suspect that the GM windshield is as good as it gets while some aftermarket glass might be just as good, some could also be of lessor quality. However, I've had several windshields replaced over the years with aftermarket glass and never had a problem not related to poor installation. Given the no-cost choice I'd go with GM.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it.
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD

OEM, Safelite, whatever. Many "OEM" GM windshields/auto glass pieces are marked "Made in Canada". So are many "aftermarket" windshield/glass items. Take your pick.

Never had a problem with over a dozen Safelite installations both at home and in the shop. Two Taurus and an F-150 windshield, done right here in the driveway.

(Matter of fact, the STS has a Safelite RainSense windshield - nary a problem. Dealership work, condition of sale, warranty, cracks. Installed in 11/05.)

Padgett is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '11 CTSC & several other cars.

I would trust/ask Safelite.

BTW in Florida a windscreen is a no-deductible replacement if you have comprehensive.

Long is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '89 Coupe deVille 4.5L V8, '10 CTS4 3.6L DI Performance/Luxury sedan

Windshield replacement used to be N/C with comprehensive insurance in NY, but in recent years they started counting glass replacement against us.
    Greedy beady-eyed beancounting bloodsucking insurance companies.

HurstGN is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 Black Diamond CTS4 Premium Coupe (sold-09 CTS4 DI Black Raven/Ebony)

I have State Farm and it's not covered unless you buy additional coverage for it. Dealing with insurance companies is the worst.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

What Cadillac(s) do you own? (Or type NONE)

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in