Tire question - replace all 4??
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, Tire question - replace all 4?? in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; My wife went to leave to work just now, calls me a half mile down the road and says the ...
    naiku is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS Sport Wagon Premium/Performance

Tire question - replace all 4??

My wife went to leave to work just now, calls me a half mile down the road and says the TPMS light is on and she can hear hissing from the right rear tire and found a bolt stuck in it.

I'm hopeful it can be plugged, but in the event is cannot, is it ok to replace only 1 tire, with it being AWD?

The tires on it while not brand new, are a set of Michelin with likely another 15k of driving still on them. I'd hate to have to ditch them but also don't want to screw up the AWD with the slight difference in tire diameter.

Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Cadillac Forums
    Advertisements

HurstGN is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 Black Diamond CTS4 Premium Coupe (sold-09 CTS4 DI Black Raven/Ebony)

Re: Tire question - replace all 4??

The best bet is to replace all 4. I hear TireRack will sell one and they can tell you how to measure the other tires and you provide the info...they will shave the tread to match the wear of the remaining 3. I don't know of anyone that has done this though.

cadillacmike68 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 68 DVC, 96 FLTWD Brgm, 11 CTS Premium (two)

I can see replacing two, either the front 2 or the rear two, to keep them matched, especially if the same tire cannot be sourced, but all four???

I did some research and even just on this site, came up with results for replacing 1, 2 or 4. Just going to hope this can be repaired, could not be a worse time to have to replace them.

Padgett is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '11 CTSC & several other cars.

Every couple of months Sam's club has a special sale - the last one was $140 off a set of four BFGs ($80 rebate and free installation - normally $60 for 4). That is the main reason to buy four- to get the max rebate (I have bought two for one car and two for another before, I usually just bring the wheels to be mounted. They charge $5 extra to install a new TPMS if you bring the sensors in). I do not know which Michelins you have, some are great even half worn and some (Pilots) are not very good except for track day.

Now everyone has a different opinion but I always research tires on tire rack and do not consider any street tire with a UTQG less than 400 or rain traction les than9.0/excellent. For AWD I would buy all four the same size, either 235x55R18 or 235x60R17 (1/2" stagger on the wheels makes no difference).

To June 2nd they are also having a $20 off AGMs sale and have H6/grp 48 AGMs.

ps I do not compromise on tires. Have excellent street tires and for track/autocross I have a second set of wheels and tires good only for dry surfaces.

Quote Originally Posted by Padgett View Post
    I do not know which Michelins you have, some are great even half worn and some (Pilots) are not very good except for track day.
    The ones I have on there now are Pilot Sport A/S 3+ nice tires that I'd hate to lose, never had a bad set of Michelins. 245/45/19s, another reason I'm hopeful this can be fixed, 19s are not cheap for a decent set (and I don't want cheap tires, especially on the family vehicle)

3+ are pretty good 9.2 wet/500 UTQG. M4MX are really bad. Any more I feel Michelin has priced themselves quite high. For me the BFG Comp-2 A/S has a better cost/benefit ratio (nearly $200 less for four) and I like the tread design better. (Michelin and BFG are the same company).

CaddyFred is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '09 CTS DI FE1 Luxury

Hopefully the tire can be patched. Much better than a plug. If not, I suggest replacing at least 2 tires at a time (front or rear, obviously).

cadillacmike68 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 68 DVC, 96 FLTWD Brgm, 11 CTS Premium (two)

Quote Originally Posted by naiku View Post
    The ones I have on there now are Pilot Sport A/S 3+ nice tires that I'd hate to lose, never had a bad set of Michelins. 245/45/19s, another reason I'm hopeful this can be fixed, 19s are not cheap for a decent set (and I don't want cheap tires, especially on the family vehicle)

This is where those larger wheel diameters starting showing their ugly truth, lower real tread life and exorbitant replacement cost compared to a 17" or even an 18" tire.

redheadedrod is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '12 CTS Performance Sports Wagon AWD

With AWD you MUST replace all 4 at the same time or you will cause extra wear on the transfer case and if there is enough of a difference in circumference you will cause premature system failure. It can recognize when the spare tire is on and will disengage the AWD but otherwise, depending on the difference in tire size you are asking for trouble. You have to keep the tires near the same circumference thus the importance of rotation on an AWD vehicle.

Since a RWD vehicle does not have a transfer case you CAN change out 2 tires at a time but you need to keep the tires of the same age on the same end of the car. Front or back. To prevent side to side issues which can wear out the rear differential prematurely or cause your car to pull to one side or the other.

Rodney
    PhilHowell likes this.

Thankfully it was able to be patched, checked the pressure again just now and it's good. Will check again tomorrow and keep an eye on it for the next few days.

That 140ft/lb torque for the wheel lugs was higher than I expected!!!

Also, does anyone else manual say check page 12-2 for wheel torque specs, but the specs are not there? Checked both my paper manual and the online copy at Cadillac owners.

CaddyFred is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '09 CTS DI FE1 Luxury

Best possible outcome. That 140 ft/lbs is very high indeed. Recommended torque values for 14mm wheel nuts range from 85-140 ft/lbs so Cadillac is at the extreme end. I do 125 ft/lbs.

silversport is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): **2014 CTS4 Sport Wagon-Luxury**

12-3 of my 2014 manual for my Sport Wagon shows 110 lb ft for wheel nut torque across the CTS line...

Bill
    CaddyFred likes this.

OH no, not the wheel lug torque issue again. I was tarred as a heretic for saying 140psi is higher than needed and probably to solve another problem such a brake rattle in a -V.

I actually cracked some cheap lug nuts torqueing to 140 psi (now have Gorillas that are stronger). It is interesting that for 2014 it was backed down to a more reasonable 110 lb-ft.

page 12-3 of my '11 coupe OM says "Wheel Nut Torque 190 n-m 140 lb ft"
    wcthunder and duneless like this.

Dunno how I missed it while looking in my manual yesterday, I even flipped the page a couple times looking, but mine does also say 140 lb ft......... 2012 wagon.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

What Cadillac(s) do you own? (Or type NONE)

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in