2010 cts door wont open
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, 2010 cts door wont open in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; First post here, sucks its not a happy one. Purchased a 2010 cts performance sedan in January. Made it a ...
    Mr.tuttle10 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

2010 cts door wont open

First post here, sucks its not a happy one. Purchased a 2010 cts performance sedan in January. Made it a few months great... Now its a cascading list of failures. Im very handy so while increasingly irritiating, ive fixed them. This one though....

Passenger front door wont unlock. Not with the fob, the button on the door or the interior handle. It wont even allow the lock knob to pull up and release the lock.The door wont open. Ive tried pulling up on the manual lock while pulling the handle. Nothing.

So before i smash door panel or better yet strap the door to the 3/4 ton and tear it off this GM pos.... Anyone have any input?

Ive searched, read the threads... No one seems to be as unlucky as me.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Cadillac Forums
    Advertisements

Joseph Upson is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 08 CTS DI

Re: 2010 cts door wont open

First, welcome to the forum and calm down before you reach "drive it off a cliff" anger. I've joked about how the CTS drives its own forum membership, because of how many new members join because of a problem. So you're not the only one by a long shot.

It helps to understand that the Cadillac by nature of the brand (classy & sophisticated) has a number of complicated versions of what we know as common and ubiquitous accessories, the door locks are one of those. Instead of the simple and dependable electromagnetic solenoid lock/unlock mechanism, it uses an electric motor at least on the front doors and I believe on the rear doors also.

What I don't understand yet is what causes the inside handle not to work in the event of an electrical failure, when I've noticed that there is a cable connection to the inside handle and the lock actuator. Of the two most recent cases of loss of accessibility, one person was able to gain entry with the help of AAA after realizing they didn't have a FOB with their newly purchased CTS and the door key would not work, and another after not being able to open the passenger door stated he was able to pull the top of the panel away from the door to gain access and open it. There was no mention of parts being damaged in the process so I assume the top part of the lock handle screws off.

There's also this video by a forum member on how to replace the actuator, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtvG0xnr9to

Take your time, perform a google search for "Cadillac CTS door actuator" and a wealth of examples should pop up. Select "Images" my favorite, from the top menu of the search bar as well as any appropriate videos. I find google to be better, because some times the thread subject line is not favorable for a good forum search, your's is perfect and it will likely lead you back to the forum to an appropriate solution.

Please keep us posted and to your benefit, sit down and think about preventive maintenance you can perform. The parts are often more expensive than the same in lesser cars, but unfortunately they do not last any longer in the CTS.

Haven't had a chance to go all the way through it but it appears it has the solution as I saw mention of not opening from the inside;
    https://www.cadillacforums.com/forum...-unlocked.html

wcthunder is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS Coupe 3.6 RWD Perfomance Pkg, TriCoat White Diamond

Sorry for the initiation...but,

Padgett is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '11 CTSC & several other cars.

Do you have an emergency mechanical release on the floor ? Thought that was a failsafe but may only be the coupe. Rest (neither inside not outside button works) sounds like an electrical issue, maybe a fuse or a stuck switch.

Long is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '89 Coupe deVille 4.5L V8, '10 CTS4 3.6L DI Performance/Luxury sedan

Quote Originally Posted by Padgett View Post
    Do you have an emergency mechanical release on the floor ? Thought that was a failsafe but may only be the coupe. Rest (neither inside not outside button works) sounds like an electrical issue, maybe a fuse or a stuck switch.
    Mechanical release on the floor is a coupe only item.

Padgett is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '11 CTSC & several other cars.

So limited to two-doors (Corvette, XLR, CTSC). Wonder if the ATS coupe has them.

The post linked was informative. Thank you. I ordered a new actuator latch assembly. As soon as it gets here, I'll start working on getting the door open. It's just aggravating. Love the car, hate the senseless technology. Since when did mechanical door latches become obsolete?! The amp for the stereo died last week. Now this. Not very good for a car with only 68,000 miles on it. This was my first GM product since and old square body S10. Sad to say, there won't be another one.

TheFlash is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Coupe FE3, 2003 Thunderbird, Gone 2013 ATS, 02 Deville

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.tuttle10 View Post
    The post linked was informative. Thank you. I ordered a new actuator latch assembly. As soon as it gets here, I'll start working on getting the door open. It's just aggravating. Love the car, hate the senseless technology. Since when did mechanical door latches become obsolete?! The amp for the stereo died last week. Now this. Not very good for a car with only 68,000 miles on it. This was my first GM product since and old square body S10. Sad to say, there won't be another one.
    I love it when someone gets a used car that is 9 years old and thinks it should be fresh as a new one. It is a USED car.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFlash View Post

I love it when someone gets a used car that is 9 years old and thinks it should be fresh as a new one. It is a USED car.

I love it when some uses the excuse of a car being used for the low quality and poor design.

I ran several dodge neons, the 1g neons. The ones people love to hate for their reliability issues. All to well over 500k with nothing more than maintenance. So how do $8,000 dodges have better reliability than a $45k Cadillac ?

The fact that a car is used has nothing to do with design and function. Sadly all issues you learn after buying

It's the way of the "New World" and you're not going to escape it by moving to a different brand. I've seen a number of relatively low mileage vs. age related problem posts that without looking too closely suggests that the longer these cars are allowed to sit without being driven, the more likely the owner is to encounter seemingly premature component failures, hence the cliche' "Use it or lose it.".

Materials continue to age whether in use or not, and electronics to some degree do the same, especially where the environmental factors; heat, humidity and cold are at play. Then there are those cars driven short distances and making several stops in between with a lot of door handle pulling and remote button action to account for the seemingly early wear.

Post more details about the car. If it has a sunroof you have more work to do.

Automobile(s): '89 Coupe deVille 4.5L V8, '10 CTS4 3.6L DI Performance/Luxury sedan

Quote Originally Posted by Padgett View Post
    So limited to two-doors (Corvette, XLR, CTSC). Wonder if the ATS coupe has them.
    No, it has "traditional" door handles like the sedans.

Performance package sedan. 68k miles. 3rd owner. I drive 120+miles a day. Sunroof ( no panoramic) . No navi.

I tradionally drive classics japanse cars, though ive owned alot of 80s -90s dodges. The simplicity and great looks i love. Decided I'm an adult with a decent income so I'd dip my toes in a used luxury car. Its just not going how i wanted, though its exactly what i knew was gonna happen deep down.

If i can get these stupid issues straightened out I'd be good. Its a nice ride, comfortable. The right amount of features, good looks, nice DD power...But its like every 2 weeks. 80 bucks here, 150 bucks there. Its simply aggravating.

Sunroof ( no panoramic) .
    All "sunroof" equipped sedans are panoramic, unless it is aftermarket.

TheFlash is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Coupe FE3, 2003 Thunderbird, Gone 2013 ATS, 02 Deville

I love it when some uses the excuse of a car being used for the low quality and poor design.

I ran several dodge neons, the 1g neons. The ones people love to hate for their reliability issues. All to well over 500k with nothing more than maintenance. So how do $8,000 dodges have better reliability than a $45k Cadillac ?

The fact that a car is used has nothing to do with design and function. Sadly all issues you learn after buying
    How does a Neon have better reliability than a Cadillac? Well to start off with the neon is like a soap box derby car, is has NO features. so what can go wrong

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

What Cadillac(s) do you own? (Or type NONE)

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in