MP3 via USB not playing all songs
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

+ Reply to Thread
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, MP3 via USB not playing all songs in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; A few days ago I copied an MP3 album onto my USB flash drive, plugged it into the car, waited ...
    naiku is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS Sport Wagon Premium/Performance

MP3 via USB not playing all songs

A few days ago I copied an MP3 album onto my USB flash drive, plugged it into the car, waited the 30 minutes for the ancient thing to read all the ID3 tags and.... the new one is not showing up. Thinking maybe I was over the limit of files on the drive, I deleted a few hundred files and got the file limit below 3,000. Tried again, still not there. Weird. So I then deleted pretty much everything off the drive, down to only 515 files and 3.23GB (kind of a waste of a 64GB thumb drive).

What do you know, the stupid thing still does not show up.

If I select "Folder" then I see the folder listed as well as all the songs, but as soon as I click the first one, the head unit goes through every single one, not playing anything or reading the tab, just shows Track 1, 2, 3 and so on until it reaches the last one, then it moves onto an entirely different album and plays fine.

What I cannot figure out is why this particular one will not play. I checked the file format as I have some things in FLAC, WMA etc and it is an MP3, checked the bitrate which is 320k, not a problem there, I have other files on the drive that are also 320k and play just fine. I have run the album through Musicbrainz Picard as well as MP3Tag and made sure the tags all look good. There are no weird symbols on the ID3 tags, the tags are ID3v2.3 the same as others that do play.

Any ideas? It's driving me a bit nuts as I cannot figure out what is is about this particular album that the CTS does not like.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Cadillac Forums
    Advertisements

DavesWagon is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Sport Wagon

Re: MP3 via USB not playing all songs

It is very picky about the MP3 tags. There may be duplicate tags or other problems with the tags that are not obvious and don't cause problems with any other MP3 player in the universe.

I've had luck using this software to clean files up that wouldn't play and now run EVERY file I copy to the CTS through it first before copying to the car.

http://mp3diags.sourceforge.net/

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Padgett is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '11 CTSC & several other cars.

I just keep all of my songs on a 64GB microSD in my cell phone and link to the car. The idea is to have on any of my cars. Phone aps show the graphics. Try playing through the aux input rather than the HDD.

That works too, but that increases your risk of paying a "distracted driving" tax here in NJ.

I haven't copied anything to the car in years since it's such a PITA to do it.

Operation of the music/GPS is up to the co-driver or when stopped.

Being stopped doesn't qualify you for tax exemption in all states.

I rarely have a passenger in my car to begin with even more rare to have someone qualified to control the music.

What do they consider Android Auto ? Never heard of a DD tax but you can get a ticket for texting while driving.

Yea they call them tickets here too, but since their main purpose is to generate revenue they are no different than a tax.

I don't think it's illegal to touch the radio in the car.......yet. so you should be ok with AA for now

Soon it should all be voice activated anyway. We are close now.

Quote Originally Posted by DavesWagon View Post
    It is very picky about the MP3 tags. There may be duplicate tags or other problems with the tags that are not obvious and don't cause problems with any other MP3 player in the universe.

I've had luck using this software to clean files up that wouldn't play and now run EVERY file I copy to the CTS through it first before copying to the car.

http://mp3diags.sourceforge.net/
    I'll give that a try, my wife is out with the car now (it's her DD) and my last attempts did not work, so will give mp3diags a shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Padgett View Post
    I just keep all of my songs on a 64GB microSD in my cell phone and link to the car. The idea is to have on any of my cars. Phone aps show the graphics. Try playing through the aux input rather than the HDD.
    If the CTS had better Bluetooth integration, such that I could store songs on my phone, but navigate them via the head unit, I'd be all for that, but having to navigate the phone to find songs is too much of a distraction. I am using the aux input, with a USB flash drive plugged in.

Quote Originally Posted by DavesWagon View Post
    I haven't copied anything to the car in years since it's such a PITA to do it.
    I copied things I knew my wife would always want in the car to the HDD, then use the USB for the things that she may not like in 6 months time.

Soon it should all be voice activated anyway. We are close now.
    Voice activation is OK, but I get enough issues with it in the house, trying to do it in the car at 60 MPH on the interstate with road noise..... technology is definitely getting there, but not yet.

Depends on how bad you want it. For $500 you can add Android Auto or Apple Carplay and display/play from the touchscream.

aamusic.jpg

Music is on my cell phone.

Depends on how bad you want it. For $500 you can add Android Auto or Apple Carplay and display/play from the touchscream.
    If I remember correctly you are running the NavTool unit right, are you still having teething issues with it though? I would happily install it if it were my daily driver (been running a Nexus 7 in my daily driver for years, I am used to it's quirks), but with it being my wife's daily driver, it needs to work, 100% of the time, and as simply as possible. Having random resets and locking up would not go down well.

I would not call them random resets rather that I tend to stress systems and see what happens (it does not like the phone suddenly disconnecting).

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

What Cadillac(s) do you own? (Or type NONE)

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in