Radio Help - 2011 CTS Black screen
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

+ Reply to Thread
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, Radio Help - 2011 CTS Black screen in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; I would greatly appreciate any feedback you guys have to this issue. Like the title says I do have a ...
    tanner is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Radio Help - 2011 CTS Black screen

I would greatly appreciate any feedback you guys have to this issue. Like the title says I do have a 2011 Cts an my Radio/Nav screen has went completely black, and even my climate control has stopped working. It first started with the screen going black and the radio still playing music, then over time it has stopped playing, and now nothing works but the hazards and traction control button on the center console. I have taken it to my local Cadillac dealer and the best Audio place I know to take it to and the only thing both places think it could be is the radio receiver which is $1200. I will be ok with paying the $1200 if it fixes it, but Cadillac is saying its programmed part so weather if fixes it or not it'll be at least $1200. I have replaced the screen its self and also the front panel and neither have helped the issue. If I do a hard reset on the system everything stays black, but sometimes the radio will play for a day or 2 before going back to nothing. If anyone has any history with this issue or any recommendations please let me know. Thank you, Tanner

2. Remove Advertisements
    Cadillac Forums
    Advertisements

Padgett is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '11 CTSC & several other cars.

Re: Need Radio Help!! 2011 Cadillac Cts Black screen

I imagine it needs to be programmed to whether it has the NAV or not but the slow degradation seems strange. That said I saw a bunch of head units on eBay for $100-$300.

When installing the Navtool, I had a couple of times when the front control panel stopped working (except for the clock, that always worked) but cycling the whole car with the "key" and R&Ring the connector. woke it back up (think there is always some power on always to the panel for the clock).

Joseph Upson is online now Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 08 CTS DI

Re: Need Radio Help!! 2011 Cadillac Cts Black screen

There are aftermarket repair facilities that refurbish the nav radio as well as set them up with the appropriate software for your application. You'll have to search them out over the net as I no longer have the link. You replaced the screen and the face plate with no improvement which sounds like the radio is shot. I wouldn't throw it away even after you get a replacement, considering it may have an issue that can be resolved with parts from another working radio, or may have parts that can be swapped into a working radio to restore function depending on the nature of the failure.

For the $1200 price tag with no guarantees, experimenting with used equipment for a fraction of the cost is not a bad idea. If you choose a used radio, try and confirm that it matches your center console RPO codes as closely as possible. Some sellers do post a snapshot of the donor vehicle's RPO codes. I think the likely difficulty will be whether or not you have the reverse sensors vs. the camera, as the other options are more prevalent and likely to be in place.

The radio will require VIN matching but I will attach a link that will help with a workaround if you can't find anyone with the means to VIN match it. I understand that if you're careful, even a VIN mismatch radio will work in accessory mode where the theft system is not looking for trouble, to at least allow you to determine if the radio works as long as you never turn the ignition to full on while it is installed.

Also note whether or not you have the premium sound system or not as I understand the amps are different which should only affect whether or not you get sound, the unit should function normal otherwise which would still confirm the existing radio is bad.

Search the net, there are alternatives to the "Fix it with a new one and cross your fingers approach". $1200 is a new surround sound system for the house for me along with a flat screen.

Check this out for some ideas, an electronics repairman may be able to help you out with it if you think it's a bit much:

https://www.cadillacforums.com/forum...l#post17696574

tanner is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Re: Radio Help - 2011 CTS Black screen

Thank you guys a lot for the info, I will look into all of your suggestions

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

What Cadillac(s) do you own? (Or type NONE)

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in