Coolant - Antifreeze change???
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree40Likes
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, Coolant - Antifreeze change??? in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; what is everyone following for coolant/antifreeze replacement on your CTS???...I'm at 57K miles on my 2014 3.0 Sportwagon...at my usual ...
    silversport is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): **2014 CTS4 Sport Wagon-Luxury**

Coolant - Antifreeze change???

what is everyone following for coolant/antifreeze replacement on your CTS???...I'm at 57K miles on my 2014 3.0 Sportwagon...at my usual trusted garage I mentioned that it might be time for the coolant change and asked about it there to compare with the dealership and me doing it myself...the response was that they would be happy to perform the change but it isn't really needed...

I know the owner's manual states 5 years or 150K miles but in my search I cannot find any of my local dealerships that list their prices for doing the coolant replacement (not Ford, Toyota, Chevy or Cadillac, the vehicles I help maintain)...prices for tires, tune-ups, batteries, etc. yes but not coolant/antifreeze...

I've checked the pH levels, electrolysis as well as visually looked at the color and done the cheap Prestone antifreeze/coolant tester (with rubber bulb at the end) and everything indicates the fluid is as close to new as can be...

I'm just curious as to what your experience and thoughts are...

Bill

2. Remove Advertisements
    Cadillac Forums
    Advertisements

JCBCTS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS Base Manual Tran

Re: Coolant - Antifreeze change???

I changed mine at 80k and about 6 years. Its pretty easy maintenance. Not sure what the testers measure, but I think the reason for changing is due to flow and lubrication properties of the fluid as well as removing suspended contaminants, rather than ability to resist freezing.

TheFlash is online now Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Coupe FE3, 2003 Thunderbird, Gone 2013 ATS, 02 Deville

here are the multitude of reasons. see at https://www.cars.com/articles/how-of...1420680853669/

There is NO need to ever change the oil or any fluid if you plan to sell the car soon, to someone you don't like.
    tinman and JCBCTS like this.

Nicksel1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS AWD Performance and 2015 SRX Luxury

Thinking about flushing my CTS... is there a drain plug or a petcock on the bottom of 2010 3.6 radiator??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CaddyFred is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '09 CTS DI FE1 Luxury

It wouldn't hurt to change it but I agree with your shop that it isn't necessary yet. You could do it now or wait a year or two. Mazda recommends the first coolant change at 10 years or 120k miles. I'm pretty sure that my '09 still has the original coolant and I plan to change it this year but I doubt that there is any significant harm done.
    silversport likes this.

I understand what the reasoning is for changing the fluids...I also mentioned that I checked everything I could and found my coolant/antifreeze checks near the same as new...

thanks for the responses...

Bill

Padgett is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '11 CTSC & several other cars.

Aromatic Hydrocarbons (gasoline) are the most volatile when exposed to air, coolants are next, and oils a distant third. However when old they are all the same: they smell bad.

Drunken Elvis is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS

I would just do a simple drain [remove the cap from the reservoir while it's draining] and replace what comes out with the proper strength of coolant. Usually about half the fluid will come out and by adding new fluid the additives will be some what replenished. The original coolant should last 10 years but after a half drain, as stated above, this procedure should be repeated every 5 years as half of the coolant is still old. Modern coolants last a lot longer than they did 30 years ago. I would not be surprised if what you drain from your car looks and tests like new.
    silversport likes this.

thanks DE...I always appreciate your insight and advice...

Bill
    Long likes this.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it.
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD

But it's basically incorrect.

DEX-COOL and other "long-life" coolants are recommended for exchange about every 5 years.

When all else fails, read the owner's manuals. The car/engine manufacturer usually has some faint foggy idea of correct coolant change cycles.

Maintaining a car by shopping services pricing is the height of folly.

https://www.google.com/search?q=engi...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Drunken Elvis is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS

I pretty sure Silversport came here for advice, thoughts and experience. It says that in his post. Kind of the point of the entire forum.

Long is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '89 Coupe deVille 4.5L V8, '10 CTS4 3.6L DI Performance/Luxury sedan

Quote Originally Posted by Drunken Elvis View Post
    I pretty sure Silversport came here for advice, thoughts and experience. It says that in his post. Kind of the point of the entire forum.
    Exactly.
    silversport likes this.

wcthunder is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS Coupe 3.6 RWD Perfomance Pkg, TriCoat White Diamond

has anyone tried the Evans Waterless Coolant? it's suppose to keep engines running cooler.

https://www.evanscoolant.com/
    RedRover2018 likes this.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it.
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD

You tell the thermostat that !!! An engine will run at a coolant temp set by the installed thermostat, regardless of coolant used,

IF the magic coolant removed heat from the engine metal and transferred it to the radiator a bit more quickly (than normal coolants) that might help a little during racing situations - otherwise, no gains. There must be some reason the engine designers and builders don't run magic potions in their creations.

Don't overcool an engine - the oil, coolant, and transmission NEED to run at design temp ranges for efficiency, emissions, wear prevention, and to realize advertises power output under maximum demands.
    wcthunder likes this.

Lifespeed is online now Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS 3.6L DI rebuilt to FE3 J55 G80 3.42:1

I went with the Mopar OAT anti-freeze, similar to Dexcool but without the nasty 2-EHA organic acid which can be responsible for turning sticky and sludgy over time. Mopar #68163848AB. Flush with tap water until clear, then flush with distilled water, then 50/50 distilled water and coolant. Should be good for 10 years.

from Wikipedia:
    Organic acid technology

Certain cars are built with organic acid technology (OAT) antifreeze (e.g., DEX-COOL[22]), or with a hybrid organic acid technology (HOAT) formulation (e.g., Zerex G-05),[23] both of which are claimed to have an extended service life of five years or 240,000 km (150,000 mi).

DEX-COOL specifically has caused controversy. Litigation has linked it with intake manifold gasket failures in General Motors' (GM's) 3.1L and 3.4L engines, and with other failures in 3.8L and 4.3L engines. One of the anti-corrosion components presented as sodium or Potassium 2-ethylhexanoate and ethylhexanoic acid is incompatible with nylon 6,6 and silicone rubber, and is a known plasticizer. Class action lawsuits were registered in several states, and in Canada,[24] to address some of these claims. The first of these to reach a decision was in Missouri, where a settlement was announced early in December 2007.[25] Late in March 2008, GM agreed to compensate complainants in the remaining 49 states.[26] GM (Motors Liquidation Company) filed for bankruptcy in 2009, which tied up the outstanding claims until a court determines who gets paid.[27]

According to the DEX-COOL manufacturer, "mixing a 'green' [non-OAT] coolant with DEX-COOL reduces the batch's change interval to 2 years or 30,000 miles, but will otherwise cause no damage to the engine".[28] DEX-COOL antifreeze uses two inhibitors: sebacate and 2-EHA (2-ethylhexanoic acid), the latter which works well with the hard water found in the United States, but is a plasticizer that can cause gaskets to leak.[20]

According to internal GM documents,[citation needed] the ultimate culprit appears to be operating vehicles for long periods of time with low coolant levels. The low coolant is caused by pressure caps that fail in the open position. (The new caps and recovery bottles were introduced at the same time as DEX-COOL). This exposes hot engine components to air and vapors, causing corrosion and contamination of the coolant with iron oxide particles, which in turn can aggravate the pressure cap problem as contamination holds the caps open permanently.[29]

Honda and Toyota's new extended life coolant use OAT with sebacate, but without the 2-EHA. Some added phosphates provide protection while the OAT builds up.[20] Honda specifically excludes 2-EHA from their formulas.

Typically, OAT antifreeze contains an orange dye to differentiate it from the conventional glycol-based coolants (green or yellow). Some of the newer OAT coolants claim to be compatible with all types of OAT and glycol-based coolants; these are typically green or yellow in color (for a table of colors, see[19]).
    CaddyFred likes this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

What Cadillac(s) do you own? (Or type NONE)

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in