Third radiator in 7 months....WTF?!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By darkman
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Third radiator in 7 months....WTF?! in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Bought used in November - 2018, 66k(ish) miles. I thought I smelled coolant but was so in love with car ...
    CTScop is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Third radiator in 7 months....WTF?!

Bought used in November - 2018, 66k(ish) miles. I thought I smelled coolant but was so in love with car and it was sooo clean and good price I took a chance.

Within a couple weeks it was at the shop getting new radiator - no problem, I thought. I knew those can be an issue, but now I've dealt with it.

Early May. 2019 and I start smelling coolant again. Then low coolant light goes on the last week of May. I check, its low AND the bottom of radiator is wet. CRAP! Tow back to shop (yeah, I prob could have driven but tow was free/covered by insurance so why chance it) and pressure test - sure enough bottom seam of radiator is leaking. No worries, they said. Replaced under warranty. Tow and repair cost me zero...cool.

That was about 10 days ago.

Today I start smelling coolant again. Look under car and sure enough, coolant all along bottom of radiator.

I can get it replaced AGAIN under warranty but this is bullshit. If I can't trust the car it is a useless grocery getter only for me = no good if I can't trust her for a day trip or other longer drive.

Anyone got a solution? Or experienced similar?

Considering all aluminum aftermarket options, but there isn't much room there....and this isn't a really common request or vehicle I assume...

Cheers,

2. Remove Advertisements
    Cadillac Forums
    Advertisements

Pakamper is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Re: Third radiator in 7 months....WTF?!

Sounds like youve just gotten really unlucky to be honest.

darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master

The GM original equipment radiators have had problems but, not with that kind of frequency. I notice that the AC Delco units sell for about $215 online while there are off brand units for as little as $65. Your problems could be with off brand replacements.

Well, back at original shop for warranty replacement. No damage and no cost but frustrating.

I've contacted DeWitts radiator in Howell Mi. They make a drop in replacement all aluminum. Ordering today. Even with what should be another brand new rad being installed today, not taking any chances...

https://www.dewitts.com/collections/...cts-v-radiator

I have an aluminum unit from Ron Davis Racing. I did have to clearance one of the plastic fan blades with a dremel tool slightly to keep it from hitting the radiator hose but otherwise the fit was good. The DeWitts looks similar and I expect you like the extra cooling capacity in addition to the reliability.
    CTScop likes this.

AAIIIC is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V

There's gotta be something else going on. I've certainly read about other people having gone through a couple/few radiators, but that's over a number of years, not a number of days! That's crazy.

Maybe try a new cap on the recirc bottle to ensure the system isn't overpressurizing? Hopefully the shop made sure the rubber mounts were all in place so the radiator is properly isolated from vibration and chassis movement.
    '05 Stealth Grey CTS-V, 19x8.5/10" CCW T140s with Toyo Proxes T1 Sports (summer), black Team Dynamics ProRace 1.2 wheels with 275/35-18 R-compounds (track), Hyperblack Rota Torques (winter), KW Variant3s, V2 front brakes, Hotchkis rear sway bar, EPS cam, TEA-ported 243 heads, FAST92 intake w/LS2 TB, JBA Camaro/G8 1-3/4" shorty headers w/JBA cat pipes, Corsa exhaust, UUC motor and tranny mounts, UUC shifter, MAPerformance trailing arms, Specter cradle bushings, etc...

The reservoir cap is part number 15066786, and is readily available online for less than $10.00 before shipping.

That's a good idea. Thanks!

Billfrombyron is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS-V
    While not exactly radiator related, replace the plastic T fitting with a brass barb fitting when you do the new aluminum radiator.

Also you can move the condenser forward, shorten the upper radiator support and move the radiator physically forward to create more space also. Very easy to do while everything is out.

-Byron

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

What Cadillac(s) do you own? (Or type NONE)

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in