Can the dealer reset mileage?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

+ Reply to Thread
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Can the dealer reset mileage? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; I just picked up my Blk 04 CTSV. Traded in my EB 03 Z06. When I picked it up it ...
    Midlife Z06 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Can the dealer reset mileage?

I just picked up my Blk 04 CTSV. Traded in my EB 03 Z06. When I picked it up it had 44 miles on the odometer. Trying all the buttons days later, I came to the Trip "a" and "b" odometer numbers which were both at 259+ miles. I had about 100 mi total on the vehicle odometer at the time. That seems weird. Every other vehicle I had, the mileage equalled the Trip a and b numbers until I reset them. It runs great but is something wrong here?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Cadillac Forums
    Advertisements

Jon
    Jon is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 18 ATS-V, 04 CTS-V, 09 CTS, 04 CTS

Re: Can the dealer reset mileage?

Not sure, but I had a similar experience. Back in '00 when we picked up our Windstar, it had 4km on the car, but it said engine oil life was 80%

benjet is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

My V had a simliar situation. In my case the dealer did not have my car long enough to put that many miles on it. To my knoledge only the factory can reset the ODO (dealers have to send instrument clusters back to GM/Cadillac to be replaced).

I wouldn't worry about it. Enjoy the V.

2004ctsv is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTSV

If dealers could change mileage then some of them would and you'd definitely read about it.

IMHO - New vehicles may have some strange data stored that should have been reset

rabid is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

I bought my V with 85 miles on it-new. I hit Trip A and it said 172. I think maybe the cars are "test driven" at the factory and right before they go onto the transport truck, the odometers are started. Sorta like what I heard with Porsche and BMW. I dunno, just a guess.

BUILDINGCTSAMG is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

That is what i have heard, each v is driven to get rid of some of the engine shavings and too make sure its working, then the oil is changed then the odo is set, dont worry about it things are all good....except the 44 miles that were on the odo is a bit high, i hope they didnt beat the v up or give people test drives...

Cal
    Cal is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

So the simple, short answer is:

'yes, a dealer can change mileage'

DgtalPimp is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): CTS-V CAI, CAM, BB X-pipe, Baer Extreme Plus

I am sure those 44 miles were very slow careful (read under 25 MPH) miles. BTW you usally don't get above 30 doing big ol' smokies right? Jokeing of course. The sales guys prolly took her for a spin.

Silver Baron is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2

I used to live in Germany and ca. 20 years ago - before electronic odometers - I got a new BMW with 99,995 km on the odo.

I learned than that the factory set them 10 km early so driving around yard, shipping etc... does not confuse new car custumers.

I am not sure 44 miles (60km) can be explaiend this way.

DgtalPimp is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): CTS-V CAI, CAM, BB X-pipe, Baer Extreme Plus

Thats a good point. I think we all are assuming the odometers are starting at zero. Maybe they start the odometer at a negative number.

Dgtal

miscreant is offline GM Connection

The ODO is stored in the PCM. The PCM is not dealer-reprogramable as far as the ODO is concerned - they have to be sent off to a Factory Authorized place and they have to be authorized by GM.

As for the Trip A and B discrepancy, that is actually known. For some reason, bogus numbers get input into that area as it is not protected like the factory ODO. There are bulletins out for service techs and one of the things is to reset both trip a and b during the Pre-Delivery Inspection. Your's just got missed.

So FYI, dealerships can NOT reset ODOs.

Additionally, keep in mind that during the Pre-Delivery inspection, dealerships are *basically* required to drive the vehicle approx. 10 miles during the inspection (we don't usually but that does happen). Plus vehicles have about 10-15 miles on them from the factory depending on how many times they were ramp-loaded and unloaded.
    2004 Cadillac CTS (**SOLD** ): http://www.ctsowners.com
    2004 Pontiac GTO: http://www.myyellowgto.com

Midlife Z06 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Thanks for the replies. You bet any mileage on the car gave me some concern. of the four CTS-V's I was looking at the miles were 22, 37, 44 and 176.

The 22 mile car had the FG2 option but that dealer was $1200 off on trade-in.
    The 37 mile car did not have the sunroof option
    The 44 mile had the next best trade-in and it performed perfectly
    The 176 mile had the best trade-in but...... it had 176 miles on it!!!

I test drove one back in February. During the ride the salesman turned off the traction control and said "go for it!" Wheel hop in first, second and a chirp in third. I didn't miss a shift but I'll bet a few test drivers did.

I can't stand a trans with bad syncros.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

What Cadillac(s) do you own? (Or type NONE)

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in