Escalade vs SSR
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Vortec 6.0 / 6.2 Liter Discussion, Escalade vs SSR in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; OK can someone tell me what the difference is between the 6L Escalade at 345hp and the 6L SSR at ...
    delliot is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 Escalade

Question Escalade vs SSR

OK can someone tell me what the difference is between the 6L Escalade at 345hp and the 6L SSR at 400hp?
    And can we use any of the parts to up the power in the Escalade...

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

caddycruiser is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '93 Fleetwood Brougham...Dad's

Re: Escalade vs SSR

COMPLETELY different engines. The 6.0L in the current Escalade is an iron block/aluminum head design much like the run of the mill 4.8L and 5.3L found in lots of other GM trucks, all of which have a basic design that's based on the aluminum LS1 5.7L engine that was in the last gen Corvette. There was also the LS6 version of the same engine, that they used in the Z06 and are still using right now in the CTS-V.

Then, when they redesigned the Vette for '05, they gave it a completely new aluminum 6.0L engine, known as the LS2. They also started putting THIS engine in '05+ SSR's, along with the new '06 Trailblazer SS.

So, in essence, completely different engines that don't interchange. But, the all-new GM SUV's and trucks for '07 and beyond have the latest generation of the engines they currently use, the iron 6.0L, 345 horse in the '02-06 Escalade getting bumped up to 6.2L and 403 horses.

Or, to put it quickly, the SSR has a direct engine swap from a new Vette and the Escalade has a engine that's only ever been used in the full-size trucks and SUV's.

Oh well... I guess I'll have to buy a new Vette then! HaHa

Or... How about dropping in a new LS7!! it's only $14500!!

Vesicant is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): None :(

If you're looking for more power, then why not go for a supercharger kit?

For example, a Magancharger supercharger kit (or a Maggie as CTS-V owners affectionally put it). Quite popular on GM V8's such as the 6.0. And there are other companies out there as well like ATI ProCharger, Whipple, and Paxton, etc.

If you ask around in the Escalade forum im sure they'll be able to give you some advice as to which is the best setup... should that be what you're looking for. I also know that there are numerious places out there to buy upgraded internals too.

Though that LS7 is tempting

caddycruiser is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '93 Fleetwood Brougham...Dad's

Just trade for a new '07 with 403 horses and the all-new 6-speed from the factory...and then do a couple mods to that to bump it up even more. Then you wouldn't have to do much work at all...well, except for paying for it...

WiFiTech is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): None at the moment Sold my 02 EXT and waiting on my 04 EXT

Wish someone had come up with that idea sooner. I now have the '04 out of the blue EXT with the 6.0 Litre and I also have the '05 SSR in Slingshot Yellow. So maybe I should just swap the two engines before the lease is up. Think they would notice?

Catch you all later.

EXT_Vegas is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

The salesman would not notice but the service tech would when they take it to the back for the trade in inspection. Once he see's it, the service manager would get involved then all hell would break loose. They could possibly back charge you for alteration of a lease vehicle or you may just get away with it.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.