Premium gas question for my 03 EXT
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Vortec 6.0 / 6.2 Liter Discussion, Premium gas question for my 03 EXT in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Hi guys.... been putting premium gas in my escalade 6.0L since i picked it up last week..... is it alright ...
    luxurylife33 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 99 Escalade (sold) 03 Escalade EXT (sold) - 07 Escalade EXT

Premium gas question for my 03 EXT

Hi guys.... been putting premium gas in my escalade 6.0L since i picked it up last week..... is it alright if i put 87 in the car? Usually by the gas caps in cars it tells you if it needs premium and i checked the manual and didnt see anything.... am i able to use 87?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Cliff8928 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): STS-V - XLR

Re: Premium gas questin fot my 03 EXT

Regular (87) is all that's required for the 2004 and earlier Escalades.

RidingDirty is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 2007 Escalade ESV

Re: Premium gas questin fot my 03 EXT

heck it runs fine in my 07 esv, so yes the 87 will work fine!

KCFormula is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 EXT

Re: Premium gas question for my 03 EXT

The GEN III computers use two timing tables so if it detects knock the PCM will jump to the lower of the two tables. It uses a mathematical calculation to slowly "move" to the higher of the two tables the longer no knock is detected.
    Basically performance could be affected but it will not hurt the engine.

Caliber is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Escalade EXT 2k9

Quote Originally Posted by KCFormula View Post
    The GEN III computers use two timing tables so if it detects knock the PCM will jump to the lower of the two tables. It uses a mathematical calculation to slowly "move" to the higher of the two tables the longer no knock is detected.
    wow.. that's amazing.. didn't even know that

sprink60 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 Escalade ESV

Quote Originally Posted by KCFormula View Post
    This makes sense to me...I have switched back and forth at times and notice an obvious performance improvement using 93 vs 87 octane. For the way I drive it's worth the difference of 15~20cents per gallon for the performance increase. When It's available to me I often times throw in about 20 gallons of 89 to see if I can tell a difference...some but barely perceptible.

Johnny fox is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003 escalade esv
    I always thought because it was a high compression engine that even if the computer does pick up valve chatter it still doesn't change the compression the guy I bought my 03 esv off of ran 89 and I could still tell a big difference between it and 93 as far as being smoother and a little more quiet but in theory that's still a neat idea of a lower timing curve to avoid chatter I just wonder how well that actually works

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.