Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Premium gas question for my 03 EXT

7K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  Johnny fox 
#1 ·
Hi guys.... been putting premium gas in my escalade 6.0L since i picked it up last week..... is it alright if i put 87 in the car? Usually by the gas caps in cars it tells you if it needs premium and i checked the manual and didnt see anything.... am i able to use 87?

#4 ·
The GEN III computers use two timing tables so if it detects knock the PCM will jump to the lower of the two tables. It uses a mathematical calculation to slowly "move" to the higher of the two tables the longer no knock is detected.
Basically performance could be affected but it will not hurt the engine.

#7 ·
I always thought because it was a high compression engine that even if the computer does pick up valve chatter it still doesn't change the compression the guy I bought my 03 esv off of ran 89 and I could still tell a big difference between it and 93 as far as being smoother and a little more quiet but in theory that's still a neat idea of a lower timing curve to avoid chatter I just wonder how well that actually works

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.