Plug Change on an 02 Escalade
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Vortec 6.0 / 6.2 Liter Discussion, Plug Change on an 02 Escalade in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I just retired my 97 SLS with 168k miles (and tons of problems) and moved up to an 02 Escalade. ...
    digitalcaddie is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '02 Escalade

Plug Change on an 02 Escalade

I just retired my 97 SLS with 168k miles (and tons of problems) and moved up to an 02 Escalade. Any tips on changing out the plugs? It looks pretty straight forward, but the ones in the back might be a problem. Any tips on what (if anything) has to be removed to make the job easier would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

digitalcaddie is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '02 Escalade

Re: Plug Change on an 02 Escalade

In case anyone else is wondering, to get this job done, you'll need to move the metal clip that holds the wires coming off the alternator when you're removing the plug on the driver's side closest to the front bumper. That's only two bolts. The problem one is the plug furthest toward the back of the truck on the passenger side. This one was a nightmare due to the tight space, angle of the plug and some stupid aluminum tray that's back there for some reason. I started by removing the bolt holding the dipstick in place. That allowed the dipstick to move a little bit, but its VERY tight back there. I couldn't get the boot puller tool on the boot so I had to work the wire off by hand which was not easy. I prolly damaged the wire when removing the boot (1 other wire tore off since the metal connector inside the boot was stuck so bad to the plug) so I would suggest replacing the wires along with the plugs. Anyway there's not enough room to get an extension back there on your plug socket which makes things VERY tight. If you have a ratchet with a pivoting head, you're gonna need it here. If you don't have one, you may want to buy one for this job. I was eventually able to get that last plug out, but MAN it was tough. Truck only has 63k miles on it...I couldn't imagine getting that last one out if it had another 40k+ miles to lock in there. Other than that, the job took 2 hours as I was taking my time and enjoying some time away from my screaming 1 month old. Can't wait til the little guy is about 9 years older and I can send him to the garage to do these jobs. Or at least cut the grass while I enjoy a cold one.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.