03 6.0L test question
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Vortec 6.0 / 6.2 Liter Discussion, 03 6.0L test question in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I missed this question a few years back on a semi annual exam. . The question read some thing like ...
    AJxtcman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): The Northstar Tuner

03 6.0L test question

I missed this question a few years back on a semi annual exam.
    The question read some thing like this.
    On an 03 Escalade is the pistons OD bigger than the Cylinders ID?
    I got it wrong.
    The information is stated in the following area.

New Product Information
    The purpose of New Product Information is to highlight or indicate important product changes from the previous model year.

Changes may include one or more of the following items:
    • Torque values and/or fastener tightening strategies
    • Changed engine specifications
    • New sealants and/or adhesives
    • Disassembly and assembly procedure revisions
    • Engine mechanical diagnostic procedure revisions
    • New special tools required
    • A component comparison from the previous year
    Disassembly and Assembly Procedure Revisions
    • For certain applications, a spacer plate has been added between the flywheel and rear of the crankshaft. It is necessary to remove the spacer plate prior to removal and installation of the crankshaft rear oil seal and clutch pilot bearing.
    • The piston, pin, and connecting rod are to be serviced as an assembly.
    • Newer design pistons have a graphite coated piston skirt. The coated skirt outside diameter (OD) may be slightly larger than the cylinder bore inside diameter (ID) and the piston assembly may have a slight interference fit to the cylinder bore during initial installation.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

AJxtcman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): The Northstar Tuner

Re: 03 6.0L test question

The second test this year had a question about an 8.1L in a 2007 GMC Truck Sierra Classic. Is the piston OD bigger that the cylinder ID. I was not going to miss this one. We sure have come along way from the old TRW pistons that had .0066 clearance

GM info
    The piston skirts are coated in order to create an interference fit into the cylinder bore.

Important: The coating on the piston allows for an interference fit between the cylinder and the bore. The piston diameter can NOT be measured accurately because the piston coating is not a consistent thickness. DO NOT measure the piston diameter.

To select the correct piston for installation, the cylinder bore must be measured. If the cylinder bore diameter is within service specifications, install the original piston/connecting rod assembly or a new, standard size piston/connecting rod assembly. A used piston/connecting rod assembly may be installed if, after cleaning and inspection, the piston is not damaged. If the cylinder bore is NOT within specifications, the cylinder must be resized to accept a new, oversized piston.

For proper piston fit, the engine block cylinder bores should not have excessive wear or taper.

dkozloski is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger

Two-stroke motorcycles are very critical for cylinder to piston clearance. I measured the clearance during a rebore operation by inserting the piston in the cylinder with a long feeler gauge at 90 degrees to the piston pin. Then I'd use a spring scale to measure how much force it took to withdraw the feeler gauge. I handled the piston and cylinder using gloves and/or shop towels to minimize heat transfer.
    Don't mess with Binky Bear!

z06bigbird is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Sedan de Ville, CTS

Quote Originally Posted by dkozloski View Post
    Two-stroke motorcycles are very critical for cylinder to piston clearance. I measured the clearance during a rebore operation by inserting the piston in the cylinder with a long feeler gauge at 90 degrees to the piston pin. Then I'd use a spring scale to measure how much force it took to withdraw the feeler gauge. I handled the piston and cylinder using gloves and/or shop towels to minimize heat transfer.
    When you worked on the cylinders, did you polish them to a mirror finish? My uncle had a H D dealership, and he used to remind me to make sure that the cylinders (at least on the 2 cycle) bikes had a mirror finish. Greater speed, less heat, I guess.

Just curious.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.