Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Intermidate Problem , Won't Idle

4K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Z71 
#1 · (Edited)
This is a copy/paste from post I made other forum. Has anyone experienced this sort of problem with idling and could this be the MAF. There are no codes being set from this problem. http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-catera-cimarron-forum/94328-ewill3rd-jefferyg-techs-please-help-idle.html

98 Catera won't idle at times. A few weeks ago I replaced the heater core and all seemed to work well, car ran fine, idled fine....... other then air bag light illuminating no problem. Due to disconnecting the battery and re-connecting after replacing the heater core, the service engine light did come on for a few run cycles but eventually went off and never came back on. Everything seemed fine other then the air bag light. The mechanic that helped me to replace the heater core told me more then likely it is the clockspring.....so no big worry.

Here is were the problem starts ! It had been about 4 weeks since all the above took place. A couple days ago I decided to try and disconnect / reconnect battery and go through a relearn procedure that was posted in other thread on this site ( turn switch on for 3 min then turn switch off and start car for 30 sec ) in hopes of resetting air bag light...... didn't work ! BUT, after doing this the car started but will not idle. With out using gas peddle car will just die. I decided to tap on the IAC a couple times ........and car started and idled. So I ordered a IAC valve. I got the valve in yesterday and put on car. I started car and all seemed to be working fine. BUT after a couple starts and shut downs ( without driving car ) .......car starts doing the same thing......won't idle. I tapped on the NEW .. IAC valve a couple times and car idles fine again. If I start and shut down engine a few times it quits idling again. I am thinking when I disconnected and reconnected battery trying to eliminate air bag light using the above procedure it caused this idle problem.

Is there a Idle Relearn procedure for these cars? or is this something that it will relearn from driving car through a few cycles ?

Thanks

See less See more
#3 ·
Other then the air bag light , which has been on since replacing the heater core, there are no codes set.

Thinks were fine for a month UN-TILL I decided to disconnect and reconnect battery other day, in hopes of resetting air bag light. BUT after reconnecting battery and doing a 3 minutes switch on / no start and 30 second switch on / start. The car started acting up and not wanting to idle. Yesterday it seems better but at times it don't want to idle with out assistance from touching or push accelerator peddle. It does seem like car runs fine as long as it starts and idles. If you start it and it doesn't idle on its own and you drive it vehicle it continues wanting to stall if you come to a stop.

Thanks

#5 ·
In all reality the car didn't idle great. The weird thing is .....the car all ways idled and started up and idled. Only after I disconnected and reconnected the battery trying to get air bag light to go off, it started acting up. Keep in mind I changed the heater core over a month ago. The only reason i disconnected/reconnected battery a couple days ago was just to see if I could get the air bag light to go off......before i ordered a new clockspring for air bag, other then that car had been doing ok. The air bag light has been on since changing the heater core......I had just been putting off purchacing clockspring. The car had been running with no problem at all......well atleast it would start and idle on its on.

I did change the IAC valve yesterday and seemed to help some. Even after I replaced IAC valve, I did have to tap on it a couple times and the the car would start and idle on it on but not every time. Today I replaced air filter and car seems to run a little smoother....HOWEVER it seems on a cold start sometimes i have to press accelerator a little to start it up.....but not every time. It seems like it just haves a problem at start up and not driving.

Could the MAF be going bad ? and just a coincidence ?

Thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.