3.2 liter 5-speed into a Catera
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
V6: 3.0, 3.2 LA3, 3.6 LY7, 3.6 DI LLT Discussion, 3.2 liter 5-speed into a Catera in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Hey guys. Has anyone tried this before? I've been doing a bit of research and info on this kind of ...
    Phantom GTZ is offline Cadillac Owners Member

3.2 liter 5-speed into a Catera

Hey guys.

Has anyone tried this before? I've been doing a bit of research and info on this kind of ordeal is hard to some by. By 5-speed I do mean manual transmission

Big Question:

Would the CTS engine controls swap into the Catera? From what I read, the wiring harnesses aren't far off. Not to mention the obvious similarities.

I guess that would be the major one. I know some mounts will most likely have to be fab'd for the manual transmission. I'll probably hack up a CTS center console for the interior.

I understand there is plenty more involved with a swap, but I wanted to get the discussion going.

Thanks!

-Joel

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Kcryan is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1992 Tripple Black Allante, RIP 98 catera

Re: 3.2 liter 5-speed into a Catera

Id love a 5 speed catera.... other than that the only advice i can offer is talk to CateraV and look into GTO mounts/parts as the frame is similar

Phantom GTZ is offline Cadillac Owners Member

From what I've found you would need to use the CPU, wiring harness, exhaust manifolds, oil pan, and accessories from the Catera.

The restrictions alone from the Catera manifolds will push the lower compression 3.2 liter engine's performance closer to the 3.0 liter Catera motor. I haven't looked into porting the Catera manifolds yet, but I think this swap (at least the engine) is a stupid idea. You might see 10 hp or 15 hp more with an equal ammount of torque.

As far as the 5-speed, I would rather use the Omega MV6 manual trans, center console, and pedal/clutch setup. Now for the kicker: It is almost impossible to find which transmission they used!!! Every info sheet I find lists the details for the auto, and absolutely nothing on which manual transmission it used.

elvin315 is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Platinum 2001 Cadillac Catera Sport

Lightbulb Re: 3.2 liter 5-speed into a Catera

Any updates on this?

This comes from a newbie so take it for what it's worthbut the 3.2 LA3 is externally the same as the 3.0 L81. All the updates and improvements were done internally. The Catera's motor mounts should fit the LA3. I can't really say anything about the ECM or wiring harness.

As for the 5 speed transmission, they are plentiful in Europe. Shipping costs could be expensive but buying a rebuilt tranny shouldn't be a problem. Contact the Omega Owners Club and find out how they go about the conversion and what parts are needed. All in all it doesn't seem it'll be a hard job. After all, all it takes is money.

Marks DTM Calib is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Vaux Omega (Caterra)

To fit a 5 speed R28 manual you need:

Pedal box
    Flywheel (dual mass)
    Clutch pressure and friction plate
    Gearbox and mounting bracket
    Prop shaft
    gear lever assembly and gaitor
    Clutch master cylinder and pipe work (connects to small plastic spur on existing brake fluid res)

Possibly a diff change to sort out the ratios of the final drive (try for an LSD from an Ex-plod!)

Then strap out a pin on the ECU to tell it its a manual setup......

Have a look here:

http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1161013363

caterasport0520 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I am considering doing the L81 to LA3 conversion using a manual 5 speed. I was concerned about sourcing a trans from Europe considering the "used" situation as well as the cost of freight. I picked up the Gertag 260 from a CTS and am considering going that way. (It is not worked out except for preliminary ideas and assumptions.) My understand this is the 5 speed they used in the 2003 and 2004 (2005?) CTS. This would be easy to verify from production info. I'm thinking I would be able to use the 2003 to 2004 CTS flywheel and clutch.
    I'm not sure of the tail shaft height in comparison to the Catera auto. I'm thinking if the output shaft height is similar I could fabricate the trans mounts as well as the shift linkage. The drive shaft is not worked out but do able if one needed to be made. That leaves the pedal box and hyd. system parts. I would use the Opel pedal box master cylinder and linkage. I would use the hyd. CTS parts at the trans. and tie into the OEM Opel parts. I would use the CTS starter that goes with the 5 speed. I'm not sure about the exhaust clearance at this point. According to what I'm hearing there is a way to tell the ECU that we have a manual trans. I'm not sure about the speedometer but I'm thinking it is electronic.
    There is a thread that deals with a few of these issues else here.
    My next step would be to source the pedal box and other Opel OEM parts I need.
    We could ask for help in locating these parts maybe from a Opel owner. It would make sense to source some sets of parts for interested Catera owners. I would be up for a set as I discussed above. I would prefer to use a new clutch m/cyl. and new slave as well as new hyd. lines. Does anyone have pictures of the pedal box parts as well as the linkage and hyd. parts.
    My thought would be to obtain what we need from the UK and use what is available here. Any info. or thoughts on this would be helpful. Thanks,Den

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.