How To Change Catera Engine?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
V6: 3.0, 3.2 LA3, 3.6 LY7, 3.6 DI LLT Discussion, How To Change Catera Engine? in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I was wondering if any of you have ever replaced an engine on your Catera. I just bought a Catera ...
    brodyaga2010 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

How To Change Catera Engine?

I was wondering if any of you have ever replaced an engine on your Catera. I just bought a Catera which was involved in a "light" flood. I am not sure how light it was, but all the lights, and electronic componenets work properly (brakes, dash, cd player, windows, door locks.... etc). The problem is that the oil pan is busted and there are engine parts in the oil pan. This is probably due to the car sucking in water through the air intake. My question is how hard is it to change the engine on a Catera. The Catera that I just bought is a 2000 Sport Catera, and has 58,000 miles on it. I bought it for the price of $3,500, and I found an engine with 25,0000 miles for $900. I am not sure if thats it as far as expences go, but sure hope so. If anybody has any suggestion or has done this in the past... please help me out.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

zonie77 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 ETC,97 STS

Re: How To Change Catera Engine?

Have you ever changed an engine before? Done serious mechanical work?

Get the factory service manual...not Chilton or Haynes. If you are asking this question you will probably need all the detail the factory manual gives you. It will be worth every penny. Try Ebay too.

10secvette is offline Banned

pia

alexv3ltw is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Relatively easy to do it yourself if you have right tools and done engine swap before. Takes less than 12 hours. Also the job itself is relatively inexpensive. Knowing correct people this could cost as low as 500.

alexv3ltw is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Oh. Almost forgot to tell you!

Make sure that hte engine is from the same year vehicle. Better yet use old wiring harness and sensors. Othervise you could run into a lot of trouble.
    Catera changed sensors, wire harnesses and other components from year to year. Wire harness will have ground and power and may be some other wires swaped in places. If the harness is incorrect it could result in burning out more components. I assume i do not need to tell you about the prices of those...

srinne is offline Cadillac Owners Member

You can check out what I am doing with my catera: (there are a lot of pictures....if you have dail-up, then you might not want to look)

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...e-removal.html

Logandiagnostic is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2001 DTS, 2005 Mustang GT

Exclamation Re: How To Change Catera Engine?

That is the post to see. Lot's of HD pictures. Lots of work.

Timing belt usage.

Is the car running yet? I did have some emails with you..did you find away to rotate the crank and cams? Without banging valves?

Great post!

Logan Diagnostic LLC
    www.ledfix.com
    www.airbagcrash.com
    http://logandieselusa.com/deutzdiesels.html

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.