Aftermarket Air-Filter Upgrade
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
V6: 3.0, 3.2 LA3, 3.6 LY7, 3.6 DI LLT Discussion, Aftermarket Air-Filter Upgrade in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Wondering if anyone has found anything different than I have, and that is that neither K&N nor Fram Airhog is ...
    Killrwheels is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 05 Vette Z51, 06 SRX, 08 CTS DI, 10 Lacrosse CXS

Aftermarket Air-Filter Upgrade

Wondering if anyone has found anything different than I have, and that is that neither K&N nor Fram Airhog is made for the CTS 03 3.2 liter motor. Not looking to remove the stock airbox ( no-no on the FIPK Unit), but prefer an oiled filter to airfilter when possible. Anything I missed ???

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

1500cc is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Re: Aftermarket Air-Filter Upgrade

I wouldn't switch. K&N filters let far too much dirt past when compared to a regular OEM paper filter (as confirmed by oil analyses). And their gains are questionable. On LS1s, it's been proven time and again that a K&N does not increase power. In fact, a buddy just dynoed his WS6 with paper and then right away with K&N and lost 2 RWHP with the K&N.

odysseus is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS Manual Trans., '93 STS

There aren't any high performance filters made specifically for the car, but it's easy to add one. Do a search on "TonyA Airbox" and you'll see how to insert an Airhog filter into your existing air filter 'frame'. It's easily reversible. All you do is put a stock filter back in.

Incidentally, the restriction is not so much in the filter, as the airbox design. It draws air through a 4" opening that's restricted. Tony (and others who've done it) describes the mods needed to increase airflow. Total cost is under $50, if you put the filter in. It’s free, if you simply modify the airbox.

I did it at 2000 miles. Love the sound at full thottle!

collapsed is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

what is the part # on the Airhog filter that goes in the 3.2 airbox??

N0DIH is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 94 Fleetwood Brougham

IMHO, I don't think I would subject my engine to a filter like the air hog, looked at one tonight and I can see tons of places that larger dirt can pass right on through. No way for me.

DDS rollin a CTS is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS-V, 2001 Honda Shadow Sabre

Heres the link for the how-to for the TonyA mod:

http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answe...ram/index.html

I'm thinking about doing it on my car, right now I'm waiting for odysseus to do a dyno comparison (stock vs volant vs TonyA I think) to see what the numbers look like. He says theres definately a "seat of the pants" difference going from stock to either the Volant or the TonyA but didnt know about between the two. He'd done the TonyA mod on his own 03 and said it definately helped cut down on low-end lag and resulted in a better overall engine sound. He's using the Volant now b/c the TonyA doesnt work with the V bumper. Currently I'm a little hesitant on cutting holes in my airbox or plunking down the $200+ for a good intake but we'll see.

On another note, you mentioned that there werent any aftermarket kits for the 3.2, I beg to differ.

According to K&N's website, the FIPK #57-3040 (averages around $200 online) fits the 03 CTS (3.2L)

http://www.knfilters.com/search/prod...x?Prod=57-3040

Many car parts sites also list the K&N Air Charger Kit #63-1082 (runs somewhere around $250 online) as fitting the 03 CTS but I don't think it's "street legal" in all states and is not listed at the K&N site.

http://www.car-stuff.com/performance...9&part_name=15

I was planning on buying one of the K&N kits a little while back but couldnt figure out what the heck the difference is between them. If anyone knows, feel free to speak up.

According to the FRAM website, part #CA9459 (usually $31, on sale for $18 at Advance Autoparts right now) will replace the stock filter. This is a different number from what's listed in the TonyA how-to guide. I'm guessing its a new part maybe? If it does work as a replacement filter, that would sure beat having to mutilate your existing one.

http://cpgcatalog.honeywell.com/cpg/...LLAC&model=CTS

At the Volant website, part number 15632C is listed as a compatable intake kit (averages around $250 online).

http://www.volantperformance.com/pdetail.asp?ID=145

I should note that the K&N kits replace the ENTIRE intake system up to the motor while the Volant kit is only the airbox/filter and retains the rest of the stock intake (this is according to what other people in these forums have said and what I've seen at the websites).

Most people around here seem to go with the Volant if they've got the dough, or the TonyA if they don't. Best of luck to you and keep your eye on the "Great Air Intake Challenge" thread (in the CTS forum) for when odysseus posts his results from the dyno runs.

10secvette is offline Banned

hmmm

2001CatOwner is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2001 Cadillac Catera

nice

N0DIH is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 94 Fleetwood Brougham

Another local.... They must have got internet to north of the Cheddar Curtain finally!

Quote Originally Posted by 2001CatOwner View Post
    nice

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.