Go with new engine or fight for a new vehicle
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
V6: 3.0, 3.2 LA3, 3.6 LY7, 3.6 DI LLT Discussion, Go with new engine or fight for a new vehicle in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Hi: My 2011 CTS Coupe (with the 3.6L VVT DI engine) spun the #3 rod bearing at 1600 miles. The ...
    wiz02 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Coupe

Go with new engine or fight for a new vehicle

Hi:

My 2011 CTS Coupe (with the 3.6L VVT DI engine) spun the #3 rod bearing at 1600 miles. The dealership has received authorization from GM to replace the entire engine. While this seems better to me than going the rebuild route, I am not happy that my new car will have the engine removed and replaced.

Does anyone have any knowledge to share on this type of situation? Is it totally out of line / futile to ask for a new vehicle? Thoughts?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

ejguillot is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2000 Seville STS

Re: Go with new engine or fight for a new vehicle

With the new engine replacement being done properly, you should be just fine, no lost value or anything.

vincentm is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac Eldorado ETC

Wow spun a rod bearing already?

vincentm:
    Hard to believe the rod bearing spin in only 1600 miles isn't it? The service manager's theory is that an oiling passage is obstructed and the bearing didn't get enough oil. Luckily I never touched the engine in any way. I was planning on changing the oil this weekend no less.

ejguillot:
    I keep my vehicles a long time, and while lost value is a certainly a consideration, I am unsure that I will get the same longevity and performance from all of the engine / transmission subsystems after they are opened in the field.

FYI - I called Cadillac customer service yesterday and I opened a "case". I will keep you posted after they check with the dealer and get back to me.

jagilbertvt is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): NONE

Quote Originally Posted by wiz02 View Post
    FYI - I called Cadillac customer service yesterday and I opened a "case". I will keep you posted after they check with the dealer and get back to me.

How did you make out? My 2011 Buick Lacrosse CXL (w/ the same LLT 3.6L VVTDI engine) just spun a rod bearing at 5855 miles. They are currently rebuilding the engine. I am a bit concerned about that and I find myself wondering if I should be demanding a new engine.

98eldo32v is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 98 eldo/KD54 w/N37,T96,QA1,D55,DS3,U1Z. U3R next

1600 miles? A spun bearing? 2011 car? WOW.

Personally, I would have driven right back to the dealership. Gotten a hold of my salesperson, the service manager, and the dealership owner. I would have politely asked, "Gentlemen, if this was your brand new car and this happened, how would like to have this situation resolved?" While you ponder over that, I'm going to leave this car here and you guys come up with a solution, I DON'T WANT A REPAIRED ENGINE OR SWAPPED ENGINE. You guys figure it out.

sfv41901 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 CTS
    Quote Originally Posted by 98eldo32v
    1600 miles? A spun bearing? 2011 car? WOW.

Personally, I would have driven right back to the dealership. Gotten a hold of my salesperson, the service manager, and the dealership owner. I would have politely asked, "Gentlemen, if this was your brand new car and this happened, how would like to have this situation resolved?" While you ponder over that, I'm going to leave this car here and you guys come up with a solution, I DON'T WANT A REPAIRED ENGINE OR SWAPPED ENGINE. You guys figure it out.
    This is what I would have done

Cougar281 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 04 Silverado Duramax, 95 Cougar, 2010 CTS4 Premium

Personally, I would not have a problem with a new crate motor being dropped in, even at 1600 miles, but I WOULD have a problem with that new of a car getting the engine rebuilt.

Edit: Wow, didn't realise how old the thread was

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.