Cylinder head problem...
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
V6: 3.0, 3.2 LA3, 3.6 LY7, 3.6 DI LLT Discussion, Cylinder head problem... in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I'll tell you my story. For the people who don't know, i'm from chile and i've a catera (an Opel ...
    alvarofue is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Cylinder head problem...

I'll tell you my story. For the people who don't know, i'm from chile and i've a catera (an Opel Omega really). A month ago i had a problem with the heater valve. It was leaking. So i send the car to the dealership. They said Ok, we will fix it, but we must measure the cylinders compression. I wasn't worry, because the car hadn't power or economy problems, but the results weren't good. 2 cylinders had very little compression (about 50-60 psi) and the others were low, but not so bad (arround 180psi, i think). Then, they must take off the cylinder head. The reason for the very low compression in the 2 cylinders was an old head gasket, and the low compression in the others cylinders were by a sealing problem of the valves, they wear out. So, i must replace the valves. The intake valves cost me here in chile about 15 dollars each, which isn't so bad, but the exhaust valves....120 dollars each!!!! the reason: they are filled with sodium.
    So they send the head to an engine repairshop, to make a measurment. I could save the exaust valves!!! and the head was ok.
    Now they're finishing the job, i hope it last.

I'll informe you, when it is ready

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

baddad13 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Re: Cylinder head problem...

omg. I can't beleive it. Your story is almost exactly like mine except for the dealership part. I'm a mechanic and found on my 97 catera a loud knocking sound wich came on all of a sudden. I did a compression test and found #5 & 3 cyl. was about 60 psi and #1 was 210 psi. So I removed the head and found a peice of head gasket(just a little peice of the metal part) in #5 and #3 cyl. I guess it came unlodged when my wife got rearended. made a helluva racket. Bent all four intake valves in those cyl. Going to replace both heads since I'm getting a good deal on rebuilt ones(free). Just wanted to say my piece. What are the odds of that happening?

10secvette is offline Banned

Re: Cylinder head problem...

hmm

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.