Wheel shake when braking
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
V6: 3.0, 3.2 LA3, 3.6 LY7, 3.6 DI LLT Discussion, Wheel shake when braking in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Hi I have a 04 CTS and when i am on the highway at very high speeds and press on ...
    Nerryon is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 cts

Wheel shake when braking

Hi I have a 04 CTS and when i am on the highway at very high speeds and press on my brakes to reduce speed, I notice that my steering wheel vibrates and now I can hear the brakes squeaking when i press on the brake pad. I had the car for 2 yrs, never change the rotors and I am not sure if they were replace before I bought the car, I did however change the Brake pads a couple months after I bought the car. Do you think there is a need to change the rotors or maybe I can just get them cut.

Thank you very much

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

txbest1980 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS "Ebony Maria" 2005 Cadillac STS "Grace"

Re: Wheel shake when braking

check and see if they have a lip on the edge of them...if they do, replace them or have them shaved...but as far as the steering wheel shaking, how fast are you typically going when you are hitting the brakes to slow down?

Nerryon is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 cts

If i'm doing between 65 and 75 mph and try to reduce speed, I can feel the vibration in the steering wheel and sometimes also in the break pad. I had the car for two years and never change the rotors just the brake pads. So do you think that could be a reason why it shakes a little when reducing from high speeds?

txbest1980 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS "Ebony Maria" 2005 Cadillac STS "Grace"

that could definitely be a reason for the shaking...

C&C
    C&C is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac STS (2011)

Warped rotors is the most likely scenario but it could also be worn front suspension parts. Hoping it's just the rotors, then it would be a matter of resurfacing (if you have enough material left) or replacement.

93eldodave is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): eldorado

C+c is right the rotors are warped.. and it may be better to just replace them with new ones as they are kinda cheap..

T.Jones is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS

Hitting those brakes at high speeds warms them up. Slamming on the brakes, or hitting the brakes while going over a pothole will warp them in a heartbeat.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.