3.6L vvt pcv ???
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
V6: 3.0, 3.2 LA3, 3.6 LY7, 3.6 DI LLT Discussion, 3.6L vvt pcv ??? in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Hi guys, My car has began to use some oil . Usually, the first 3k miles it used about 1/4 ...
    Spyke is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac CTS 3.6L VVT

3.6L vvt pcv ???

Hi guys, My car has began to use some oil . Usually, the first 3k miles it used about 1/4 of a qart and then the next 1.5k miles it used 1/2 quart. I remember that on my previous car, the only thing I had to do is change the pcv and it worked but on the v6 3.6l on my 05 cts, where is it located please?

I'm still searching.. can someone post a picture and maybe circle the pcv location? Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

MuGeN is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac CTS 2004 3.6L

Re: 3.6L vvt pcv ???

No pcv on this engine. Its be replaced by 2 metering tube in the intake.

so it means no maintenance at all or can I just clean those tubes as a preventive maintenance?

ewill3rd is offline Cadillac Technician
    Automobile(s): none

No PCV as noted, no maintenance.
    Keep track of oil usage and tell the dealer, you could have another problem.

MuGeN is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac CTS 2004 3.6L

Tell the dealer but at our dealer there some cts that drink some oil and nothing they can do cause they say that its not so bad and its on spec.

Thanks guys! I'll keep an eye on the oil consumption and tell the dealer about it.

T.Jones is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS

Sounds like head gaskets. Some cars need to replace these after a few years. Cracks,dry rot.
    Dex Cool is a coolant used in GM.
    Its suppose to give you 50,000 miles of maintenance free life for your cooling system. But, what it can also do is eat up your gaskets, causing oil to run into the radiator.
    Pull the cap off, make sure car is cool, take your finger and insert into radiator, go around the inside edge, if you see sludge buildup, then you have gasket leakage oil into your cooing system.

GM had a problem with Dex Cool. Monte Carlos had the same issue, and I am sure many other also.
    Either Dex cool is bad, or the gaskets are not compatible with Dex cool, at any rate many people will not see this problem until its to late, and the engine will lock up, doesn't matter if you have regular maintenance or not. An experienced mechanic will notice this right off the bat. However, if you take your car to a Dealership, they may not tell you about Dex cool because so many people have filed lawsuits in the past.

ewill3rd is offline Cadillac Technician
    Automobile(s): none

I haven't seen a 3.6 lose head gaskets yet.
    This is likely a piston ring issue, if that much oil was being lost into the cooling system someone would have noticed by now.
    Dex cool isn't evil, but it sure is easy for a lot of people to blame their lack of maintenance issues on it.
    Just like any coolant if you don't maintain it properly the PH will turn acidic and do damage.
    This has been beaten to death on this forum and it is pretty preposterous to pull it out in this topic for an OIL consumption issue on an engine that isn't even known for this problem.

Not to mention the 3.1/3.4 used in the Monte Carlo is a totally different design engine than the 3.6 that Cadillac uses. The issues with the 3.1/3.4 was the intake gaskets and it is related to a poorly designed gasket, not the coolant, and yes it did allow coolant and oil to mix.

I applaud your efforts to think outside the box.

hyrpm03 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac STS

It's not head gaskets....that's a very random diagnosis. The pcv design is flawed. Money says your intake is full of oil due to this. A car is a large investment, simply check your oil in between changes. It takes only a minute and is not difficult at all i promise.

SC2150 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): CTS

Quote Originally Posted by ewill3rd View Post
    I haven't seen a 3.6 lose head gaskets yet.
    This is likely a piston ring issue, if that much oil was being lost into the cooling system someone would have noticed by now.
    Dex cool isn't evil, but it sure is easy for a lot of people to blame their lack of maintenance issues on it.
    Just like any coolant if you don't maintain it properly the PH will turn acidic and do damage.
    This has been beaten to death on this forum and it is pretty preposterous to pull it out in this topic for an OIL consumption issue on an engine that isn't even known for this problem.

Not to mention the 3.1/3.4 used in the Monte Carlo is a totally different design engine than the 3.6 that Cadillac uses. The issues with the 3.1/3.4 was the intake gaskets and it is related to a poorly designed gasket, not the coolant, and yes it did allow coolant and oil to mix.

I applaud your efforts to think outside the box.
    Good info.

Pull the intake tube loose from the TB and reach inside with a clean paper towel to determine if your getting ingestion through the cleanside of the crankcase system.

If dry, then the fixed orfice tube located in the rear of the passenger side valve cover:

You can see the top has one small hole and the bottom 2. We drill these to 11/64" drill size for better evacuation.

You also want to remove the plenum cover on the intake manifold and look into it to see if it is oil soaked:

The one on left has had a RX catchcan installed since new, the one on the right no can...both app 8k miles on them.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.