2008 CTS with 12K miles--CYLINDER HEAD REPLACEMENT!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
V6: 3.0, 3.2 LA3, 3.6 LY7, 3.6 DI LLT Discussion, 2008 CTS with 12K miles--CYLINDER HEAD REPLACEMENT! in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Bought my 2008 CTS (V-6) in March 08. Had 7200 miles on it, was part of dealer fleet, and likely ...
    Sludge Diva is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Thumbs down 2008 CTS with 12K miles--CYLINDER HEAD REPLACEMENT!

Bought my 2008 CTS (V-6) in March 08. Had 7200 miles on it, was part of dealer fleet, and likely driven by the (former) general manager between August 07. I have put fewer than 5000 miles on it myself. Check engine light came on in Sept 08, called On-Star. They ran a diagnostic check, and said that two error codes had come up (it is not their policy to state which ones), said the car was safe to drive, but I should visit the dealer within 7 days.

The service dept. said that the cam lever was "moving around," which would set off the sensors, and that it needed a "little bitty washer," which would be ordered. NINE DAYS LATER, the part was supposedly received, and the warranty repair had been made. It was great that they provide a "free" rental, but if any damage occurs, no matter whose fault, if you do not purchase Enterprise's insurance ($15/day), they apply YOUR deductible, and YOUR insurance policy applies. So, I don't like to be responsible for anyone else's car but my own.

About 6 weeks later, check engine light comes on again, called OnStar, and they ran the diagnostics AGAIN. Error codes came up, car safe to drive, visit dealer within 7 days. Light went out two days later (bulb works), then came on again a week after. Visited the service department AGAIN, and AGAIN, the story was, "the cam lever is moving around a bit, setting off the sensor, and we need a 'little bitty washer'--this time it was a different technician. When I told him that they had just done this less than two months ago, he checked with the other tech to verify.

Again, driving a rental (DTS-old lady car-embarrassing), this time for 12 days. I suspect they had simply put in a shim to keep the cam lever from moving around the first time. This time, they replaced the cylinder head. The car has only 12,000 miles on it! I had experienced some light engine knocking sounds, burn mid-grade detergent gasoline, and wonder if this is going to be an on-going saga for years to come. I won't have the original warranty forever; only what remains of the 3-year/50K mile factory warranty. I am going over there now, to pick up my car.

Cadillac just called to say that it is ready...I'm about ready to tell them to take it back. I had turned 50, my fourth child is graduating, and I decided to treat myself with my very first Cadillac. I'm thinking it's going to be my LAST.

Any other people with this problem? Having to replace the cylinder head after only 12K miles, doesn't seem right for "Motor Trend's 2008 Car of the Year!"

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

C&C
    C&C is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac STS (2011)

Re: 2008 CTS with 12K miles--CYLINDER HEAD REPLACEMENT!

I feel your frustration. Whether this is just the tip of the iceberg, or whether your car is fixed, is difficult to say. I think you need to give the vehicle (at least) one mulligan, especially if this is the only problem it ever encounters; who knows, this might just be the best vehicle you've ever owned (again, can't tell and don't know your history or future).

You should probably know, before your warranty expires, whether you need keep the vehicle or move on to something else. Good luck in whatever you decide.

MuGeN is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac CTS 2004 3.6L

Common problem on those cts begining in 2008! End play of the cams on left head is too much causing check engine light to come on. The first we got at our dealer we change head but now they have a bulletin to put a spacer between the camshaft and the camshaft actuator and that fix the problem. We do some of them and never got prob after that!

LS6TT is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 Cadillac CTS

Man sorry to hear that, glad to know if i decide to sell my 04 and step up, guess i should skip the 08

urbanski is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS-V

no you shouldnt, it was a couple of cases. sh!t happens and its all fixed under warranty

MuGeN is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac CTS 2004 3.6L

Quote Originally Posted by urbanski View Post
    no you shouldnt, it was a couple of cases. sh!t happens and its all fixed under warranty
    Exact! Only the first part of the year 2008 that got that problem for now.

Ronster is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2008 Black/Ebony CTS-4, Other(s): 2009 Wicked Solstice

this happened with my car. build date is nov. 2007 and it took over 12k miles for it to show up. same symptoms.
    I chalk it up to manufacturing tolerances and sensor/reluctor sensitivity ranges. this is an expensive repair for gm so I have to believe they clamped down on head mfg. as soon as they determined what the problem was. it happens but it really is rare. I'm keeping mine thru lease end, no reason to bail.
    rg

LuvGolf is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS

Sludge,

I have a 07 cts with 9500 mi. Mine quit yesterday. This is a defective camshaft that was machined badly from the vendor. It is effecting Saturns that have this same engine.

Saturn dealers are doing complete top end overhauls, on both engine banks left and right sides. They put a washer on mine to, but I know the cam has damaged the valve stems because of the idle. My play on my cam was .082 in.

You would think you get better treatment from GM's top of the line.
    My next call is to the Cadillac zone manager. Check the Saturn forms for details of the fix and GM TSB.

DVS-LY7 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): LY7 in a GMH ute

damn i feel for the ppl in this thread...my engine light came on after i got the exhaust done...i immediatley thought a bung o2 sensor as they may have dropped them by accident...and being ceramic internals...there not strong...anyway i got the fault code wiped...and about a week later it came back on...got it wiped again...also asked them ti diagnose and give me a summary as to wat it was...costing me $40au each time and $100au for the diagnostics report...so another week passes...and has been on ever since ( 20,000kms )...so now reading that the LY7 has struck these problems overseas i might take an interest and see how the cam galley looks......but that sucks...anyone know what would cause that to come loose over time?

mikes2nd is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

seriously you should have said im not driving that rental car. Shoulda said hand me Escalade or at least another cts or sts...

any car this can happen too. Ive seen lexus's drop trannys after 1000 miles. Mercedes blow up...

Just make sure its fixed correctly. have to worry about the monkey who rebuilt your engine. make sure you run it hard after you get it broken in.

Any issues AT ALL mark it down and bitch the dealer out. If you could take it back I would definately turn it in.

Roger G. is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Red 08 CTS4 3.6DI

Quote Originally Posted by MuGeN View Post
    Common problem on those cts begining in 2008! End play of the cams on left head is too much causing check engine light to come on. The first we got at our dealer we change head but now they have a bulletin to put a spacer between the camshaft and the camshaft actuator and that fix the problem. We do some of them and never got prob after that!
    So what code ist set when this happens? Also I hear from other LLT engines that have similar if not the same symptons with the P0008 error and the dealer says it's the timing chain that needs to be changed. Wehre can I find those bulletins for the 08 with LLT engine ? I'm getting my 08 next week that only has about 7k on the odo but also only one year warranty left. I don't want to experience the problerm a day after warranty has expired ...

Thanks for your help
    Roger, Switzerland

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.