Synthetic Oil For Cts 3.6l
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
V6: 3.0, 3.2 LA3, 3.6 LY7, 3.6 DI LLT Discussion, Synthetic Oil For Cts 3.6l in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; The dealer I bought my CTS from owed me a free oil change, so I took it in today. They ...
    strindl is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Synthetic Oil For Cts 3.6l

The dealer I bought my CTS from owed me a free oil change, so I took it in today. They said they don't use Mobil 1, but use a Citgo Oil . This dealer has already lost me as a customer because of poor service, but I was hoping they could handle an oil change without a problem.

I did some checking, and can't find any evidence that Citgo even makes a fully synthetic oil that meets GM spec GM4718M. I asked at several Citgo stations, checked with a large auto parts store that sells Citgo oils, and checked with the Citgo web site...none of them had any information on a citgo synthetic oil.

If I trusted this dealers service dept, I'd just believe them and let it go. but with their track record with me, I won't sleep well if I do that. I subscribe to the Ronald Reagan philosophy...trust, but verify. Does anyone know if Citgo does in fact offer a fully synthetic oil meeting the GM spec for the CTS engine?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

miscreant is offline GM Connection

Re: Synthetic Oil For Cts 3.6l

Quote Originally Posted by strindl
    The dealer I bought my CTS from owed me a free oil change, so I took it in today. They said they don't use Mobil 1, but use a Citgo Oil . This dealer has already lost me as a customer because of poor service, but I was hoping they could handle an oil change without a problem.

I did some checking, and can't find any evidence that Citgo even makes a fully synthetic oil that meets GM spec GM4718M. I asked at several Citgo stations, checked with a large auto parts store that sells Citgo oils, and checked with the Citgo web site...none of them had any information on a citgo synthetic oil.

If I trusted this dealers service dept, I'd just believe them and let it go. but with their track record with me, I won't sleep well if I do that. I subscribe to the Ronald Reagan philosophy...trust, but verify. Does anyone know if Citgo does in fact offer a fully synthetic oil meeting the GM spec for the CTS engine?
    No I don't know, but you know what? It doesn't matter. They NEED to use Mobil 1. There is a post like this in the SRX section (?) and I've checked with my Service Manager (been around since we opened the store) and he swears that they are FORCED to have Mobil 1 in stock for oil changes during your warranty period.

But, alas, I always purchase my own anyway, heck of alot cheaper.
    2004 Cadillac CTS (**SOLD** ): http://www.ctsowners.com
    2004 Pontiac GTO: http://www.myyellowgto.com

j-w
    j-w is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

I believe Citgo only produces a synthetic blend. If this is all they're offering for the "free" oil change, tell 'em no thanks or step up to proper mfg specs.

Devil_concours is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

i guess cadillac still isn't up to par in terms of customer service.

Quote Originally Posted by miscreant
    No I don't know, but you know what? It doesn't matter. They NEED to use Mobil 1. There is a post like this in the SRX section (?) and I've checked with my Service Manager (been around since we opened the store) and he swears that they are FORCED to have Mobil 1 in stock for oil changes during your warranty period.

But, alas, I always purchase my own anyway, heck of alot cheaper.
    hmm....somehow..I am not surprised. This dealer has screwed up everything since I ordered this car. I owned Corvettes for 10 years, a 94 and a 99, and they required Mobil one as well. I always took a case with me to the oil change place near my house in case they did not have it in stock. And I watched to make sure they used ONLY mobil one. The times I had my trusted chevy dealer change the oil, they always confirmed to me that they only use Mobil one in vettes.

I just hoped that because this dealer is a Cadillac Franchised service facility that they would know what oil to put in there. So..I guess its off to the oil change place by my house in the morning to have them drain out the Citgo stuff and put the Mobil One in. Geez this dealer makes me fighting mad.

Quote Originally Posted by Devil_concours
    i guess cadillac still isn't up to par in terms of customer service.
    Not at Russ Darrow Cadillac in Waukesha Wisconsin, anyway. I have found a much better dealer to give my business to though. Crest Cadillac in Brookfield, Wisconsin has been great to work with. The only reason I even went back to Darrow was because they owed me a free oil change.

CTSLew is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I just tell them to use regular oil because I think Mobil 1 is too expensive. What's the benefit to using synthetic?

Devil_concours is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Not at Russ Darrow Cadillac in Waukesha Wisconsin, anyway. I have found a much better dealer to give my business to though. Crest Cadillac in Brookfield, Wisconsin has been great to work with. The only reason I even went back to Darrow was because they owed me a free oil change.
    I've had some bad exeperience at the dealership before my cts. (it took them 6 months to figure out why my deville concours was overheating. Actually it was my father who figured out why the councours was overheating and dealer couldn't say a word when i took the car. Water pump they replaced was improperly installed hence leaking water and causing it to overheat over time. Overheated like 11 times :madtalkin ). I thought i might get better service if bought the car from them instead sales person almost pulled a quickie (brought me the wrong car and didn't tell me about it until i asked. He knew that he brought me the wrong car the whole time and didn't tell me about it) and service seems to be heading the same way as before with my cts.

c5 rv is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 91 Allante (gone), 06 SRX (gone)

Quote Originally Posted by CTSLew
    I just tell them to use regular oil because I think Mobil 1 is too expensive. What's the benefit to using synthetic?
    To start with, your oil change indicator is calibrated for the long-life qualities of synthetic oil.

You're just trying to make trouble here, right?

b4z
    b4z is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 Standard SrX grey/black

Use dino oil on a car that requires synthetic?

Cadillac says you can go up to a year on the synthetic. So it doesn't end up costing anymore. I would never go a year but they say you can.

CTS 3.6L produces 255 hp. requires synthetic.
    Buick Lacrosse 3.6L produces 240 hp. Dino oil is okay.
    Buick Lacrosse 3.6L has 500 rpm lower redline.

Need I say more about why the CTS requires it?

Do what I did. The $45 oil change.
    Buy 6 qts at Advance Auto/Pep Boys, etc for $27.

My dealer charge $17.93. For the filter and labor.

Can't complain about that.

RobertCTS is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Black the Darkside

YOU CAN BUY MOBIL 1 AT MOST AUTO STORES FOR ABOUT $5 QUART, IF YOU'RE UP TO CHANGING IT YOURSELF. MOST DEALERSHIPS GET UP TO $85 FOR AN OIL CHANGE

miscreant is offline GM Connection

Quote Originally Posted by CTSLew
    If you have a 2004, synthetic is REQUIRED for warranty. For 2003, it was not.

If you buy your own Mobil 1 and have them use it, it's not that much more expensive, and you can go at minimum twice as long between oil changes. Why risk it with such an important substance as your engine oil???
    2004 Cadillac CTS (**SOLD** ): http://www.ctsowners.com
    2004 Pontiac GTO: http://www.myyellowgto.com

greyghost04 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '14 CTS 2.0 Luxury AWD, '12 SRX 3.6 AWD

Walmart has a 5 qt. jug of Mobil 1 for $21. go buy the GM filter for about $17. It's pretty cheap if you can diy.

Quote Originally Posted by greyghost04
    Walmart has a 5 qt. jug of Mobil 1 for $21. go buy the GM filter for about $17. It's pretty cheap if you can diy.
    I bought a 6 quart box of Mobil One at Sams Club...that will work just fine for the 5.6 quarts that the 3.6 engine needs. I havn't found the oil filter that it takes at my normal auto supply stores yet though.

I'm just about to leave for the oil change place to have it changed now...since it was just changed yesterday...although with an in correct oil, I can probably have them use the same filter that was put on yesterday. Just dump the bad oil out of it..it can't have gotten very dirty driving 12 miles.

Skuuter is offline Cadillac Owners Member

If you want to cheap out on the oil, why buy a Cadillac in the first place? :rolleyes2 That's penny wise/pound foolish, in my book.

As was mentioned, the oil life monitor only works accurately with Mobil 1. I don't believe there is a dino oil that comes in 5W30 form. The tolerances are so small on these engines, that a very light oil is required for sufficient startup lubrication.

Strindl,

I think you're safe to use the oil filter from the other day's oil change. If it were me, I'd be inclined to open the canister cover and make sure they put one in there! Then, I'd make a call to Cadillac and inform them that your dealer purposely put the wrong oil in your engine. They should lose their franchise over that. It would make me wonder what other shortcuts they take on customer's cars.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.