Catera - Mustang Engine Swap, Possible?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
V6: 3.0, 3.2 LA3, 3.6 LY7, 3.6 DI LLT Discussion, Catera - Mustang Engine Swap, Possible? in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Dont tell me to buy a new car. I want this done. Can it be done? I wanna know what ...
    aidsxcore is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Catera - Mustang Engine Swap, Possible?

Dont tell me to buy a new car.
    I want this done.
    Can it be done?

I wanna know what id need to change, i can get the money. I know its gonna be pricy and you may say its not worth it.
    i want something unique, my catera is gonna be a sleeper.
    i was thinking about the LS1 but i havent found any support, id see all these threads but nobody here has actually done it.

Now the Mustang-Catera engine sizes arent a huge difference. From what i know.
    Tell me what i need to know =P

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

dkozloski is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger

Re: Catera - Mustang Engine Swap, Possible?

How do you plan on getting it past the EPA so you can drive it. About a million bucks would be a good start.
    Don't mess with Binky Bear!

CadillacSTS42005 is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS4 1SG: GM Acc Lights, Corsa, Platnium Grille, Volant

rofl
    your going to put a Ford engine into a GM car...
    there have been LS swaps do a search and this is a Lightenfinger Catera which was built and parts exist for it, as well as the Holden V8

The Mustangs V6 is about the same size.
    Rear Wheel Drive

I dont see why it couldent be done.

Its not like a big upgrade to a V8

thats even worse
    a V8 swap in some twisted way is at least worth while
    V6 is pointless....

The 3.8 on the stang has much more support and reliability.
    the 3.0 in the catera is a peice of shit with a ****ing shitload of problems.
    that and its a cadillac engine which is alot priceyer to fix.
    and the fact that this car basically has no ****ing support from cadillac whatsoever.
    AND the stang engine is highly modify-able with kits already pre-made.

hahahaha
    1 thats not a Cadillac engine try Opel....
    2 you bought hat "pos" so whats that go to say about your logic...
    3 the Catera weighs ALOT more than a Mustang so idc how you look at it, less you dump some small block V8 in there your NEVER going to haul

i tried to take this seriously but right now your attempts to bastardize your car have reached an all time high, youll still be slow no matter what V6 you dump in there...

Chicano-Mexicano is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1993 Eldorado Sports Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by aidsxcore View Post
    The 3.8 on the stang has much more support and reliability.
    By a stang then

the 3.0 in the catera is a peice of shit with a ****ing shitload of problems. that and its a cadillac engine which is alot priceyer to fix.
    Isn't that you fault for buying it and STS2003 is right its an Opel engine.

and the fact that this car basically has no ****ing support from cadillac whatsoever.
    Again isn't that you fault for not researching your car to begin with, I mean I wish their was a supercharger for my 4.9 but they don't make one so tough shit buddy.

AND the stang engine is highly modify-able with kits already pre-made.
    Again by a stang then.

elvin315 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Platinum 2001 Cadillac Catera Sport

Dont tell me to buy a new car.
    I want this done.
    Can it be done?

I wanna know what id need to change, i can get the money. I know its gonna be pricy and you may say its not worth it.
    i want something unique, my catera is gonna be a sleeper.
    i was thinking about the LS1 but i havent found any support, id see all these threads but nobody here has actually done it.

Now the Mustang-Catera engine sizes arent a huge difference. From what i know.
    Tell me what i need to know =P
    If you're still interested in a Catera engine swap take a look at the Catera forum. Lots of swaps in progress. One owner is installing a supercharged GM3800 V6. Generation II (L-67), 255 bHP @ 4600 rpm, 280 ft-lbs @ 2500 rpm.
    http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...v6-catera.html

A few others are recreating the Opel Omega V8 using parts from Lingenfelter Performance. That car was in the final stages of preproduction before GM nixed it due to problems with the cooling system's ability to keep the engine from overheating at Autobahn speeds. (Ridiculous. GM has been cooling that small block V8 for 50 years. They couldn't find a solution?) These are not kits and don't come with instructions. There's a lot of fabricating and scrounging to do but the guys have bought the parts with the hope of making the Catera that Cadillac should have from the start.
    http://cgi.ebay.ca/Cadillac-Catera-L...QQcmdZViewItem
    http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...t=lingenfelter
    http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...t=lingenfelterhttp://cgi.ebay.ca/Cadillac-Catera-L...QQcmdZViewItem

The Omega and Catera are virtually twins. All the parts for the Omega V8 will fit into the Catera. Lingenfelter bought Opel's inventory of Omega V8 parts with the intention of building them for sale in the US but the plan was shelved when John died. He had already squeezed a 7.0liter/427 cubic inch Corvette C5R engine into a Catera now named the Catera V by her owner. He used Holden Commodore drivetrain parts and beefed them up to handle the 500 HP and 500 ft/lb of torque. This is the ultimate sleeper Catera. Take a look.
    http://www.pbase.com/elvin315/the_catera_v

Elvin

malachi is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I am all for swapping motors into what ever you want.

Here is the first thing you need to look into.

quad4rods dot com

Why you ask? I pioneered a great deal in the Isuzu world. I found how to swap all sorts of motors into Isuzu cars (GEO Storms). One of the many things I have figured out was the compatability of various engines that bolt up to my transmission.
    One of those being the 3.0 54*. (along with 2.3/2.4/ECOtec/Saab 2.0t/2.3t and a slew of other odd motors in the GM family.)

Anyway, the link above is to a place that makes adapters for the Quad 4 motor, and the ECOtec which depending on the specific engine, has your bolt pattern. They make adapters to bolt the engines to T5 and other transmissions.

What this means to you, is that you can use the adapter to bolt your stock trans to a Ford motor. How you would space the flywheel/flex plate is up to you.

Now while the V8 302/5.0 swap sounds fun, the reality is it will involve quite a bit of work to make all your electrical system to play nice. you will lose many things like the various suspension electronics, ABS, and who knows what else. Most asspects can be overcome through the use of your own relays and wiring for fuel pumps (which will be grossly over powerful for a carby), and other things like your needed new custom dash.
    If you go with a full 5.0 HO swap with fuel injection, you are in for a nasty bit of nightmare wiring.
    Good luck.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.