Need New Tires, What Brand???
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Suspension, Brakes and Tires Discussion, Need New Tires, What Brand??? in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Well, I have OLD tires on the Fleetwood, even though they are in great shape, with hardly any wear, to ...
    Ralph is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Need New Tires, What Brand???

Well, I have OLD tires on the Fleetwood, even though they are in great shape, with hardly any wear, to feel safe I may get new ones this spring. The original Michelins are on it, and they are wearing great, with minimal wear, and evenly as well.

What brand do you feel are the best/good?

What brand have you had good luck with/longest lasting?

Who has the best tire technology IYO? Why? Convince me!

I would value opinions on this, and thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

elwesso is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45

Re: Need New Tires, What Brand???

It all depends what you want...

Taking a shot at it, Id assume youd want a semi long lasting tire, with low road noise and a lot of comfort... IE you dont need good handling.... Id also assume you want all seasons...? Otherwise youd have a set of dedicated winters and a set of dedicated summers (what I have)

CADDYBLACK99 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS-4 1999 Deville Concours

Ralph,
    I hated the GY RSA's that came on mine. This tire scared my one time on the wet highway. I was in traffic (safe distance and speed) and hydroplaning all over the place, the traction was terrible. I traded them in for 4 new TOYO Proxyes TPT. Very aggressive pattern, lots of sipes. They now cut through the water instead of sliding on top of it. On dry days they are quiet and smooth with great handling. They are great in the snow as well.
    I have had good luck with TOYO (3rd set) on several past vehicles and run them on my wife's Alero as well.
    I paid about $120ea(tax,mount,bal,stem) here is the link.
    http://www.toyo.com/tires/index_frame.html
    Paul

D148L0 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

I have pirelli P3000 cinturato. Once I tried them never went back to michelin. I like them so much that I gladly pay for the S&H since the only dealer for that model is 300 miles away... They are easier to get in Canada, though...

99Zee28 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1990 Eldorado

When I first bought my car back in April of 02 it had some OE Michelins on it. They were still in good condition because the car only had 24,000 miles on it, but since they were so old I wanted to change them for safety measures. Also, they handled like crap, although they were quiet and smooth. Since the Caddy is not a car that handles particularly well I wanted a tire that would perform well in all aspects, preferably cornering. I looked at many tires on Tirerack.com. Not coming to a conclusion I called Tire Rack to get a recommendation. They told me the best handling tire for my car would be the Bridgestone Turanza LS-T, so I ordered those. They are T rated and have a 80,000 mile warranty. They were also only $75 a tire. Once I had them installed it was like a world of difference. They handled awesome, especially for being on an old mans Caddy! These tires are very responsive, quiet, smooth, and have awesome treadlife. I have never once slid in wet weather by making an emergency maneuver. Something I could not say the same for my Michelins. I am extremely happy with every aspect of these tires. They stick like glue, have an awesome treadlife, and are reasonably priced. I never rotated my tires and after 46,000 miles the fronts were getting pretty warn. The backs however look bran new. If I were to have rotated them I would've easily gotten 90,000 miles out of them, if not more. I ended up going to Discount Tire to get a new set of Bridgestones. They do not distribute Bridgestone there so the guy told me they would have to order them. He then tried selling me some Kelly tires which are suppose to handle awesome. He also said they have a 30 day guarantee so if I don't like the tires I can come back and have the Bridgestones put on. He kept raving about the Kelly tires so I finally had them put on. Nothing to lose since I can get the Bridgestones if I don't like them. Anyways, the Kelly's handled well but not nearly as well as the Bridgestone. I went back to Discount Tires 3 days later and ordered my Bridgestones. After having the new tires put back on it reminded me just how great these tires really are. For the big boat that you have I would suggest the Bridgestone. They are excellent tires in every aspect! I highly doubt you would be dissappointed. Go on www.tirerack.com and check them out. Read the user reviews. Everyone gives them great reviews. They're really a wonderful tire.

Good Luck,
    Dave

brougham is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre

One thing that's going to give you less tires to choose from is if you want ones that have whitewalls. But if you don't care if they have them or not it doesn't matter.

One of my cars has Uniroyal Tiger Paws on it and that's going to be the first kind of tire I look at next time I need any. They handle good, aren't noisy and don't wear out fast. The Cadillac has Goodyear Reagattas on the back wheels. I don't know how old they are or how much milage is on them but I don't have any complaints about them either.

We've never had much luck with Michelins. I guess they're OK tires but they don't last too long.

Night Wolf is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Unicycle

The Cad has semi-worn Vouges on back and cheap Made in China "Enduro Runway" tires on the front.... the back seems ok, but the tires on the front (new) suck really bad, especaially in the rain, or anything besides dry road....

...my Oldsmobile has GoodYears on the front (I think) and Bridgestones on the back (I think) they are like 50% worn, kinda dry rotted though (car sat for awhile befor ei bought it0 but I don't care... I really should see the tye of tires they are (14" wheels) as I really love them, the traction in snow is great, quiet, handle well etc... I have no complaints about the tires.... just that from sitting, like i said, they are kinda dry rotted and cracking in a few places... it is just the winter car, although if I decide to keep both cars on the road, I will probably get new tires for it soon....

Quote Originally Posted by Night Wolf
    The Cad has semi-worn Vouges on back and cheap Made in China "Enduro Runway" tires on the front.... the back seems ok, but the tires on the front (new) suck really bad, especaially in the rain, or anything besides dry road....

...my Oldsmobile has GoodYears on the front (I think) and Bridgestones on the back (I think) they are like 50% worn, kinda dry rotted though (car sat for awhile befor ei bought it0 but I don't care... I really should see the tye of tires they are (14" wheels) as I really love them, the traction in snow is great, quiet, handle well etc... I have no complaints about the tires.... just that from sitting, like i said, they are kinda dry rotted and cracking in a few places... it is just the winter car, although if I decide to keep both cars on the road, I will probably get new tires for it soon....
    I hope things aren't bad enough where you have to buy Chinese tires! I had GY's on my bigMerc, and they weren't too bad on snow, ice, or even wet summer conditions. Aren't Bridgestones Japanese?

Wes, you figured me out! Correct, I want All season radials, with a QUIET ride, and decent wear, handeling. But I suppose I just described what everyone probably wants in a decent tire.

Quote Originally Posted by brougham
    One thing that's going to give you less tires to choose from is if you want ones that have whitewalls. But if you don't care if they have them or not it doesn't matter.

One of my cars has Uniroyal Tiger Paws on it and that's going to be the first kind of tire I look at next time I need any. They handle good, aren't noisy and don't wear out fast. The Cadillac has Goodyear Reagattas on the back wheels. I don't know how old they are or how much milage is on them but I don't have any complaints about them either.

We've never had much luck with Michelins. I guess they're OK tires but they don't last too long.
    Personally, I don't care if I get whitewalls again. I think they look good on a white car. I see some cars that have whitewalls installed backwards to show the blackwall.

I really am amazed at the wear on the Michelins! I don't even have to rotate them yet!

I think they replaced the Reagatta with the Allegra or something. Something I noticed about Goodyear is that every couple of years they come up with a new model tire, and if you need a replacement or get a defect, you have to mismatch.

Quote Originally Posted by D148L0
    I have pirelli P3000 cinturato. Once I tried them never went back to michelin. I like them so much that I gladly pay for the S&H since the only dealer for that model is 300 miles away... They are easier to get in Canada, though...
    You can find Pirelli's at every street corner garage up here! I've never had them though. I've heard that Michelins are a harder rubber compound, therefore they ride harder, have you noticed this when you switched?

CaddyBlack99 & 99Zee8, thanks for the links, I will check 'em out!

I'm going to stick with the original size which is 205/70/15's to keep the speedo in check and accurate. With my Grand Marquis, Ford recommended the same size as the Caddy, but I put 215/75/15's on it to save a little fuel on the highway. It's my understanding that a taller tire spins the transmission/engine less rpm, thereby saving some fuel in the long run.

D148L0 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph
    You can find Pirelli's at every street corner garage up here! I've never had them though. I've heard that Michelins are a harder rubber compound, therefore they ride harder, have you noticed this when you switched?
    The thing I remember most is the difference in handling, it was huge both in dry and wet... I also think the michelins were harder and lasted a little longer. A single tire brand uses diverse rubber compounds for different tire models, so you can find michelin softer than pirelli and viceversa.
    I f you get this specific model you will congratulate yourself later, trust me...

DiamondEldo is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I just replaced the worn orginal tires on my 2000 ESC. With the new Michelin Hydroedge Tires. They are incredible tires. Handle Great. Aggressive tread design. And are good in the rain. I also have had the Perelli P3000's on another car I owned they are also great tires. Cheaper than the Michelin's. My vote is check out the Hydroedge.

Thanks guys. I take it those Hydroedge aren't all seasons? Goodyear used to make something called "Aquatred" for rain or wet climates, and I read they weren't too good on snow. If I lived in Florida, they'd be great?

Msilva954 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 92 Deville

Stay away from GoodYear if you want a good tire...Please....They are so overpriced for what you get.

The absolute best tires I have ever driven with are Kumho tire. The traction from them are great and the noise is minimal. My parents have them on their Mustang and on their BMW 3 series. They are 100x's better then the good year RSA's on the BMW and the Eagles we had on the mustang.

I recommend the Kumho Touring A/S 795 (Standard Touring All-Season) for the Caddy its in your size and for domestic cars you can get it with a whitewall side. The price for the 205/70-15 is $36, which I know there is no way to beat that. The tread warrenty is 6 Years - Free replacement first 2/32 of tread, then prorated to final 2/32 of tread. It even has a road hazard warrenty from the factory, First 25% of usuable tread w/ free replacement. Its rated for 70,000 miles.

Look it up at the site, or call, tire rack has the best service, but if you order from them call, ordering from the site can get alittle weird, I like to talk to someone anyway. I dont know if Costco is up there, but they charge $40 for the complete installation and balance and you get free rotations with them too. Hope this helps.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.