Compressing caliper piston
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Suspension, Brakes and Tires Discussion, Compressing caliper piston in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; I was wondering what would be the easiest way for me to compress the front caliper pistons for my friends ...
    will_z32 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Compressing caliper piston

I was wondering what would be the easiest way for me to compress the front caliper pistons for my friends 95 Sedan Deville.Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

JimD is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '98 STS (RIP @ 206,xxx miles)

Re: Compressing caliper piston

Quote Originally Posted by will_z32
    I was wondering what would be the easiest way for me to compress the front caliper pistons for my friends 95 Sedan Deville.Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    I use a big old C clamp and hold a short wrench flat across the center of the piston to push evenly on both sides. Go slowy and be sure the master cylinder lid is loose.

Imprl59 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

As already stated a big C clamp will work. You can also get a caliper spreader at your local parts store for a few $. To use it leave the old pad in place against the piston, slide the tool in place, then turn the knob until the piston is back.

Some people feel that it is better ro open the bleeder valve while doing this to avoid forcing old fluid and any contaminents that might be in the caliper back up the lines. If there were any it could possibly cause ABS issues.

Steve B.

joeveto is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by will_z32
    I just did my ETC. I have a recent post on this.

I don't have a C-clamp. I'm sure that would be a good idea. So instead, I removed the caliper. While some would point out this is a pain, it's actually a great way to do the job.

Why?

First off, you can closely inspect the caliper for damage (cracking, etc.).

Second, it's going to force you to bleed the brakes. So while you're at it, take the time to change the fluid. The car is a 95? When was the last time the fluid was swapped out? A single person can bleed the brakes with no special tools. Check out my website, I have full instructions on a fool proof, single person brake bleeding system. I demonstrate the job on my Vette, but the process is the same, regardless of vehicle. If you're only doing the fronts (I say bleed all four), bleed the passenger side first (farthest from the master cylinder) then the driver's side. If going for all four, do RR, LR, RF, LF.

http://temp.corvetteforum.net/c3/joe...eto_Home.shtml

The result will be brakes you can trust, that feel like brand new.

Good luck with it. Oh, and don't buy the cheapest rotors out there. They'll squeel like crazy. Spend $30 and buy the carbon ceramics with the lifetime guarantee. They feel great, won't make your wheels dirty, and they'll be quiet as a church mouse.

zonie77 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 ETC,97 STS

On ABS equipped cars it's a NO NO to force brake fluid back into the system.

If you know the history of the car you can make a decision. If they havn't been rebuilt definitely rebuild them. If the brakes wore unevenly, rebuild them.
    At the least bleed the old fluid out.

Joeveto is right about doing it.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.