I got torqued and my rotors got warped
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Suspension, Brakes and Tires Discussion, I got torqued and my rotors got warped in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Not trying to be a drag but we bought a certified 99 STS sat Crest Cadillac in Nashville...they put used ...
    screwedinnashville is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I got torqued and my rotors got warped

Not trying to be a drag but we bought a certified 99 STS sat Crest Cadillac in Nashville...they put used tires on it (4) there must of been something really wrong with em because they tore up the front suspension.Cadillac did force em to put new Michelins on but Cadillac says we warped the rotors.....Get this, they turned them to absolute minimum the rotors and said I'm weer responsible for the warpage.All we do is drive the casr back and forth to the Service department......We had loved the car and I had an entire portion of my website dedicated to Cadillac illustrations and designs. Well out of protest have pulled the site and ask for any feedback re: this matter.

Also is it normal to have to change motor mounts every oil change.We can't drive the car now and still have to pay it off.Doesn't seem right.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

capn is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 94 Eldorado ETC

Re: I got torqued and my rotors got warped

well replacing motor mounts every oil change is a bad thing cause they should last basiclly the life of the car.

Stoneage_Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Gobi 01 Frontier/Ishi 96 Nighthawk/Gladys 94 Deville I Loved

sounds like the car is messed up from a crash or something .....i bet the dealer told you " well if you do a 5,000 rpm nutral drop at the stoplight and run it all the way to the speed limiter then slam on the brakes as hard you you can while going thru a huge water puddle every day it will do that "

to me it sounds like something is drasticly wrong with the car , how many miles traveld since purchase ?

Imprl59 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Used tires can't possibly warp the rotors... I can't imagine the tires being bad enough to tear up the suspension unless you drove thousands of miles on them.

You can get good Wagner rotors for about $70 each and install yourself fairly easily if you have mechanical abilities... If not expect to pay around double that plus labor to have a brake shop install them.

You might have to change motor mounts once in the life of a car if you keep it a long long time or drive agressively... I can't imagine breaking them more than once.

Another poster here mentioned that it sounds like you bought a car that had previously been wrecked and I would have to agree with him/her from your description of the problems. Did you run a carfax on it? How long have you had it (time and miles)?

Steve B.
    Steve B.

joeveto is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by screwedinnashville
    Not trying to be a drag but we bought a certified 99 STS sat Crest Cadillac in Nashville...they put used tires on it (4) there must of been something really wrong with em because they tore up the front suspension.Cadillac did force em to put new Michelins on but Cadillac says we warped the rotors.....Get this, they turned them to absolute minimum the rotors and said I'm weer responsible for the warpage.All we do is drive the casr back and forth to the Service department......We had loved the car and I had an entire portion of my website dedicated to Cadillac illustrations and designs. Well out of protest have pulled the site and ask for any feedback re: this matter.

Also is it normal to have to change motor mounts every oil change.We can't drive the car now and still have to pay it off.Doesn't seem right.
    Bad tires don't wreck suspensions. On the other hand, a bad suspension will wreck tires, in short order.

I'm not sure of your timeline. Why did you have to put on tires in the first place? And why did they put used tires on (besides the obvious answer, they are cheap bastards). My guess, is that the suspension is out of whack due to an accident (read on).

Turning rotors to the bear minimum, will lead to warpage fast, if you brake hard. The thin rotors can't handle the heat as well. Therefore, warpage. The mere act of turning rotors, is way overused. Brake shops do it out of habit, because they can. And in doing so, they can charge you more and ensure you'll be back for rotors, your next time around. Most times, rotors DO NOT NEED TO BE TURNED. As already pointed out, you can easily replace the rotors yourself. For a beginner, it's an hour and a half job. Barely. Do it once, and your next job will take less than half an hour. It's that simple.

Was your car in an accident? Possible. First, look at the paint. The color and the finish should be consistent, all the way around. If a door panel has mild orange peel (the finish is mildly rough, like the skin of an orange), and then becomes baby smooth when it hits the fender, that's evidence of crash damage. Color that is inconsistent, can be evidence of crash damage, especially if it's at a body seam (where the fender meets the door, or the hood meets the fender).

Take your finger, and run it down the seams of the doors, the hood, and the trunk. The seams should be even and consistent. If they aren't, the unibody is most probably tweaked from an accident, and the car was haphazardly repaired.

Measure the distance between the middle of the tires and the wheel opening. Transfer this measurement to the opposite side. If it does not match, your unibody is bent.

Drive through a puddle, onto dry pavement. Drive as straight as possible. Then look at the tire patches. Do the rear tires follow in line with the front? No? Either the unibody is whacked, or the alignment is badly off (possibly because the car can't be aligned, due to poor crash repairs).

Inspect the bottom of the car. Are there any obvious signs of crash damage? Big scrapes or crunches on the under carriage?

Look under the hood. Do any of the inner fenders or firewall have odd, chalk markings? A lot of times, salvage yards will mark their parts with numbers for identification. Crap body guys won't always address this, when they are putting the car together.

What about the door jambs? Look for masking tape marks, or areas where the parts were improperly masked, and the original paint is showing through. Look at the headlamps and tail lamps and compare finishes. The left and right headlamps should have the same sheen to them. If one is badly worn, and the other looks relatively new, this is a red flag. The same goes for the tail lamps. They should be equally worn.

Overspray, anyplace, is cause for alarm.

Now, a car can be involved in an accident, be fixed properly, and go on its merry way to provide years of faithful service. But if they are put together by amateurs, this won't always be the case. If your car is wiping out its motor mounts, there is a real problem, as this affliction is not normal.

Still, I have to ask: What was the car like on the test drive? Did you take it for a test drive? Was it once around the block, or did you insist on taking it overnight? Buying a used car requires science, skill, and luck, in varying amounts. I always take the car home, first. Then, I spend the evening wringing the car out. I want to shake out the bugaboos before I sign on the line. I know it's too late, but sheesh. These problems, while they would not make themselves known on a ten minute drive around the block, certainly would make themselves known on a longer trip.

In the very least, if you know not what to look for, take the car to a trusted mechanic. They do know what to look for.

Sorry this has been such a bad experience for you. I really hope it improves. There is nothing worse than laying down your hard earned cash, only to learn you've been taken advantage of.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.