What tire pressure?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Suspension, Brakes and Tires Discussion, What tire pressure? in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; I have more questions for you guys! In the past I've always inflated my tires to 32 pounds despite the ...
    Ralph is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Question What tire pressure?

I have more questions for you guys! In the past I've always inflated my tires to 32 pounds despite the 35 "max" pressure listed on the tire. Now with the Caddy, the owner's manual recommends 30. On the tire it says 35! 30 seems awfully low to me, and my questions are: If I don't put the tires to 30, will the CCR still work properly? What do you put your tires at for pressure? I think putting them to higher pressure will give less rolling resistance, and therefore more mileage, but a rougher ride. Is there a risk of blowout at 30? Also, a tire guy told me that with a heavy car, you need tires with a stiff "sidewall" is there logic to that statement?::banghead2

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

ultravorx is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Well on mine, I have the tire pressure monitor, and i've been anywhere from 30-35psi, depending on the weather. And i have had no problems, even at highspeeds with 30psi. SO i wouldnt worry about it, unless its below 30
    Frank

Katshot is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    The pressure printed on the tire sidewall is the manufacturers recommended MAXIMUM pressure for that tire. It is by no means the pressure that you should inflate the tires to for normal use. The OEM of the car gives a recommendation for tire pressure. It is usually located on one of the door jambs, the glove box lid, or the owner's manual. This pressure takes into account the weight of the vehicle plus occupants and is specific for the stated tire size. If you change the tires on your car, you're left to your own as for figuring out what to inflate them to. Then it's up to you to play with different inflations until you decide what's right.

AKPsiMC03 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    heres is how i see it.

My car recomends 30 PSI, my tires say 50 PSI max. I like ot have a stiffer tire I put 40 lbs in.

but... sometimes the mfg recomendation could be dangerous. For example. When the exporer first came out people compalined the ride was too harsh. So ford fixed it. they recomended a lower tire pressure. needless to say some people let it get too low cus they dont check it in the winter, then you have blowouts, rollovers and law suits all cus you recomend a low tire pressure.

When i fill up my tires i usually go by what is on the tire rather than what the car recomends. Then i will usually take 5-10 lbs off the tire if i feel it is too high.

It bassicly comes down to how soft of a ride do you want and how quickly do you want to go through tires?

I head on tv on saturday that a recent study shows that almost 75% of all car on the road have DANGEROUSLY low tire pressure. there is some food for thought.

jadcock is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): White Diamond 2001 STS
    Yeah, you'll just have to find out for yourself what ride/handling you like. The CCR will work regardless. A stiffer sidewall will usually give you better response, but the ride will be harsher.

My Nissan truck recommends 26 psi on the door jambs (probably from complaints of a harsh ride), but the Michelin tires I have on there have a max of 44 psi. I like about 35 psi in them. My Cadillac recommends 30 psi I think. And the Michelin tires are also maxxed at 44 psi. I usually run about 32 or 33 pounds in the Cadillac's tires.

It all depends on your preferences and tire style.

kempie is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 99 STS
    38 to 42 front 34 to 38 rear. Just what I run after reading on another forum from a Cad. engnieer type guy. Just dont go under the recomended pressure & you'll be ok.

Ralph is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac
    OK. 26! I would never do that even if the door jamb said to!

Katshot is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    "a Cadillac engineer type guy"?
    WHAT?
    38-42psi is a LITTLE extreme I think but hey it's your car and your tires.
    As long as you manage decent tire wear and ride quality, have at it.

kempie is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 99 STS
    He is "bobinsky" or something like that over on Bruce Nunleys site. Works for GM on Cads. The pressures were for a Seville. I have been running them for 4 mos. (5K mi.) and havent noticed much difference in the ride and no adverse tire wear so far.

kcnewell is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    BBOBYINSKY....One of the most knowlegeable guys I know! If he says it good.....It is!

thu
    thu is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2003 STS w/BoseNav, 1993 Deville, 1985 Deville

Re: What tire pressure?

I inflated the Toyos on my 93 Deville to 41-44PSI. Tire tread is warranted to 65,000 miles, but I got 110,000 miles out of them. Nice quiet tire with good traction in all weather. S- and T-rated. I also rotated and balanced them every 10k to 15k miles.

I liked these tires so much that I got another set (the fourth set on this car). Car now has 298k miles on it.

JPL189 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 02 STS

The best guideline for tire pressure is the manufacturer's recommendation found on the sticker attached to the door (or trunk lid on some vehicles). You can go a couple of pounds higher however it generally should not be more than 5 pounds. The only exception is when the car is loaded to maximum rated load and that is when the maximum pressure listed on the tire sidewall should be used. Excessively high tire pressure can actually hamper handling by reducing the contact patch on the roadway and over working the struts/suspension on roadways that are less than smooth. Additionally, it can result in excessive and premature suspension wear.

PhillyXcess is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2002 DTS (Black on Black)
    I currently live in Austin, TX, but I will always be a Philly Kid.

Does anyone else seem to have issues maintaining tire pressure? It seems like I am having to inflate my tires almost every month (I did not have this issue on past cars). I had all my tires checks and the mechanic told me there are no leaks. I wasn't sure if this was just a randon issue or if other 'Lac owners have experienced the same thing.

Krashed989 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 Eldorado, and a 99 ETC

The mechanic probably just put soapy water on it. A lot of times the leak is too slow to make bubbles in the soap. The only 100% effective way of finding leaks in the tire is to submerge the tire in a tub of water. Before I learned that trick It would take hours to find slow leaks, or I wouldn't find it at all.

iametarq is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): None

Dumb question probably but what is CCR? (besides the band)

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.