2001 sts "service tire monitor"
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Suspension, Brakes and Tires Discussion, 2001 sts "service tire monitor" in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Hey all, New to this forum. I just picked up a 2001 STS. Yesterday the "service tire monitor" error showed ...
    martyb is offline Cadillac Owners Member

2001 sts "service tire monitor"

Hey all,

New to this forum. I just picked up a 2001 STS. Yesterday the "service tire monitor" error showed up on the DIC. Does anyone know of a way to turn this system off? I religiously check my tire pressure weekly, so I am not really in need of the system, plus I hate having to cancel an error message every time I start my week old car!

Thanks in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

El Dobro is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Re: 2001 sts "service tire monitor"

Looks like you'll have to take it to a dealer to check it out. It could be a sensor gone bad. It's a safety item, so it'll probably have to be checked with a scanner to be shut off.

stsdriver is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2001/2002 STS

I had a similar problem with mt 2001 STS. Dealership reset the Tire Pressure Monitoring System using a magnet, took only a few seconds to complete. TPM can be turned off using the FEATURED PROGRAMMING section, however if the tire pressure goes below 24 PSI or above 38 PSI it will trigger a response on the DIC.

martyb is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Thanks for the input. Does anyone know if the magnet used to reset the system is anything special?? I have done some research and found that you simply hold the lock and unlock on the keyfob until you hear the horn beep. Then you have 1 minute per wheel to hold the magnet at the base of the valvestem, then the horn should beep again, signaling that that sensor has been reset. I used a normal magnet, but did not work.

Any ideas??

Logandiagnostic is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2001 DTS, 2005 Mustang GT

Check out this link....talks about the GM system....the 'magnet' Kent Moore tool.....balancing....rotating....etc. 2 part article.

http://www.motorage.com/motorage/art...l.jsp?id=73729

Logan
    www.airbagcrash.com
    www.logandiagnostic.com

rherkenrath is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Post Re: 2001 sts "service tire monitor"

What we are talking about over here is the so called:
    Kent Moore Tire Pressure Tool - J41760.

You can purchase it directly from Kent Moore Tools
    or e.g. via etoolcart.com

Runs around $80.

If you consider that the dealership charges you up to $40 for a reset and assuming that you will have to reset the monitors a couple of times over the years (in case that your tire dealer messes it up), maybe worth an investment.

An article on ABN.com gives you a step by step guide how to reset the monitor.

Good luck.

Rainer

El Dobro is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

If you're looking for a magnet that'll work, go to your local Saturn dealer and ask a tech for the round magnet that's used on the S series automatic trans. Usually they'll have a few floating around. Even if you have to buy one, they go for around $2-3.

RKHill is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003 STS

I tried the "magnet" method by buying a Radio Shack set (5) of round 1 1/8" Ceramic magnets with about a 3/8" dia hole in them. Part #64-1888 for $2.99.

I used the following procedure:

1) Turned on ingnition (left key in ignition)
    2) Held down the Lock and Unlock buttons (at same time). A chirp from horn sounded
    3) Shut car door and put reciever (FOB) in my pocket
    4) Starting at the LF tire I placed the magnet over the valve stem (as close the wheel as I could get them). No luck... did not get a chirp...

SO doing some more reading I found that the magnet had to be "Strong" I read where someone had purchased them from Home Depot. I had larger magnet at home. It was 1 3/4" dia with a 3/4" hole and 3/16" thick.. and tried again... still no luck... after days of frustration I broke one of the small magnets trying to drill it out larger to get closer to the sending unit of the valve stem.. still no luck getting the magnet closer.
    .. Then final sucess... I put the larger magnet at the base, the broken one (from Radio Shack) next, and the remaining 4 togther in a stack. That increase in magnetic power worked like it should. I did steps 1 thru 4 above and finally got the chirp... IT WORKED... then continued to RF, RR and finally LR and got a confirming two beeps at the end... Problem solved....

SO GET STRONG MAGNETS... learn from my mistake..

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.