(I've posted this in both this area and the Fleetwood area as well. Sorry if I broke the rules.)

So I'm about to replace the shocks and springs on my 85 Fleetwood Brougham. I know the front is a standard setup, and the rear is of course air shocks. Searching this forum, I keep seeing things about rear air shock conversion kits to convert the back to standard shocks.

Now, I went to Advance Auto Parts, and they just carried standard Monroe Sensa-Trac shocks for the rear. They say they fit, but after seeing things about these conversion kits, I'm not so sure. Could someone please clarify why these conversion kits are needed? I plan on just ripping the air compressor and everything related to the system off the car once I'm done.

Also, does anyone know the size of the nut that is on top of the shocks in the rear? Just asking, so my friend and I do not have to play "guess the wrench size" tomorrow.