Is this possible?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Suspension, Brakes and Tires Discussion, Is this possible? in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; History: My '79 Seville has had this noise indication for over a year. Squeeling in front at least half of ...
    79 Seville is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Disk or caliper noise

History: My '79 Seville has had this noise indication for over a year. Squeeling in front at least half of the time when braking at low speeds, (maybe 3 1/2 to 4 years now). A grinding sound when braking down near a stop, (maybe for a year and a half now). That sounds like rivets into rotors, though not as loud. These 2 things gaul me, since I really do maintain all I can on my vehicles. I've had it into a shop for these things, who turned out to be lacking in competence. I can tell you a few stories about that 'service'. Then a week or 2 ago, I took it in to another shop for rear brake work, and that went well, and the sounds I describe were not apparent to them then. Anyway, I was concentrating on the rear. But half the time since then, the front has made these sounds. Yesterday, I replaced the front inner left wheel bearing / race / seal, since it was overlooked at the first shop I just mentioned. Now as I've examined both front disks and caliper assemblies more than once, I still don't see anything in need of correction for sure. Only, the disks, which have plenty of meat on them, probably have slight variation to them. But in my experience with these things since disk brakes have been on the road, they look alright. I know that such squeel occurs at the mating surfaces of the caliper / pistons / pads, and have used spray to help there, if that's where the sound chatter occurs. No dice. Please scratch your heads, and give me some thoughts. Machine the disks? Pads are nice and beefy. I've lightly sanded these disks to break the gloss. No dice there either. What could it be?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Is this possible?

Can brake squeal and a grounding-down-to-stop noise occur from a very minimally noticeable wheel disk imperfection?

(follow-up on post from 2 days ago)...

DaveSmed is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1968 Cadillac Sedan deVille, 1994 Chevrolet G20

Re: Is this possible?

Could, what type of imperfection are we talking about? Do you have access to a dial indicator? check for any runout. Take the slider bolts out and inspect them. make sure they don't have any weird wear patterns, and that they aren't binding.

brougham is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre

Disc brakes like to squeal. If you haven't changed the pads yet try something different to see if it makes the noise go away.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveSmed
    Could, what type of imperfection are we talking about? Do you have access to a dial indicator? check for any runout. Take the slider bolts out and inspect them. make sure they don't have any weird wear patterns, and that they aren't binding.
    Dave - Are the slider bolts the 2 that hold the caliper on?
    If so, these look just fine.

I don't have a dial indicator, and the imperfection I see is some very slight grooving, and very slight dipping. However, this is so minimal that I have never seen such as reason enough for the noise symptoms. The squeel is one thing, but that low grade grind at maybe 3 or 4 mph - to dead stop, is of the most concern. Still, maybe they are the same problem.

Sorry to bring up something that seems hard to identify, but I hate the old trial and error method of unnecessarily replacing parts. I guess I could use something as a stylus that won't damage the rotor, and spin it to hear it's trueness, as is done with a dial indicator.

Imprl59 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Sonds like the pads to me. Some pads have different metallic content and tend to make noise. Try another set. I would try to find some soft ones, non-metallic if you can. You will have to replace them more often but they will be quieter.

Steve B.

EastOfGratiot is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I don't know about the grinding noise, but squeaking brakes are often caused by vibration between the metal pad backing plate and the caliper. Some newer OE replacement pads come with a tube of material (rubber?, silicone?) that you apply to the back side of the pads before installation to prevent pad squeal. The last set of OE pads I purchased for an S-10 pickup came with this stuff, as did rear aftermarket pads I purchased for an Eldorado a couple of years ago.

It might be worth a try.

http://hometown.aol.com/wadewmbryant/seville.html

Thanks for your comments / suggestions, folks. I plan to change pads now, and look for types you mention. And check trueness of rotors mor precisely. Good thoughts in your replies!

Murphyg is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2001 STS

Possiply one of the calipers may be loose. If its only happening at low speeds those slight dips you mentioned may be causing the caliper to shift and give that grinding noise you refered to.
    Take your tire off and give them a pull, push, yank. I believe they should be firm and shouldnt have any play.

Hey thanks folks for all your replies. Saturday, I took the front wheels and pads apart again. I checked the rotors with my version of a dial indicator. I layed the tire down and tire iron on top, with my knee holding it aimed up to the rotor. Both sides 'indicated' some slight warpage. So the auto parts turned them both for $8.50 @, (they removed .010), and I put it all back together with my new $42 ceramic pads with the antisqueal backing plates. Now they're all seated and feelin' fine. I used the brake spray just to help insure the squeal avoidance.

So I have an extra set of pads now, since a shoddy shop had put these so-so pads on several months ago. They have some metalic content, which means some squealing can be expected. I should have known they didn't check those rotors well, since they had only replaced the outer wheel bearings when they said they checked all through everything. Too short-cutting to remove calipers and check the inners. I did that several days ago too. So all looks good. All cleaned up nicely. Good to go...

Muchas Graz...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.