Breaks and Rotors 2000 SLS
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Suspension, Brakes and Tires Discussion, Breaks and Rotors 2000 SLS in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Hi. I am planing to change the front rotors and pads on my 2000 SLS. I have read a lot ...
    Dennis101 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2000 Seville SLS

Question Breaks and Rotors 2000 SLS

Hi. I am planing to change the front rotors and pads on my 2000 SLS. I have read a lot of confusing things, now I don't know which way to go. OEM? Slotted? Slotted and cross drilled? ??? Also what kind of pads? Brand names will be helpful. Where to buy would also give me an idea of going prices. Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Douglass Harroun is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1998 STS

Re: Breaks and Rotors 2000 SLS

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis101
    Hi. I am planing to change the front rotors and pads on my 2000 SLS. I have read a lot of confusing things, now I don't know which way to go. OEM? Slotted? Slotted and cross drilled? ??? Also what kind of pads? Brand names will be helpful. Where to buy would also give me an idea of going prices. Thanks
    Go with NAPA premium pads and the $30 chinese rotors- $150 total on fronts- work great

Thanks but no thanks. I refuse to purchase anything made in china, especially break rotors that I would be dependent on for my and my family's safty.

10% of red china's GNP is due to Walmart. You are buying a lot of Chinese products . Look at the tiny "where made" notices on all your inexpensive things

I look at everything that I purchase, BEFORE I purchase, so that I Know before I buy it. It is not totally possible to stay away from everything they send here, (which puts American workers out of work), but I try to buy American made products.

All of this has nothing to do with my original question, can we stick to that. please? I could use the help.

Imprl59 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Your car has pretty dang good brakes right from the factory. I would stick with the standard rotors unless you are drag racing the car or overtaxing the existing system in some way. Wagner makes a fine rotor that generally isn't "pre warped right out of the box" like the Chinese crap you find on the shelf at cheap parts r us. Wagners should run you about $70 each. They also make some very nice pads they call ThermoQuiet that run $50. Also note that Wagner makes severe duty rotors and pads for this car. I don't know if they can be used with the stock calipers or not.

Steve B.

Quote Originally Posted by Imprl59
    Your car has pretty dang good brakes right from the factory. I would stick with the standard rotors unless you are drag racing the car or overtaxing the existing system in some way. Wagner makes a fine rotor that generally isn't "pre warped right out of the box" like the Chinese crap you find on the shelf at cheap parts r us. Wagners should run you about $70 each. They also make some very nice pads they call ThermoQuiet that run $50. Also note that Wagner makes severe duty rotors and pads for this car. I don't know if they can be used with the stock calipers or not.

Steve B.
    I've had great luck with NAPA Chinese rotors- in fact- I did a dial indicator on them versus American Chinese: .0005 runout, American: .005 ( that's new) and they broke in well, were nicely machined

Eldobroken is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis101
    All of this has nothing to do with my original question, can we stick to that. please? I could use the help.
    A bump for you dennis. Also I am not sure does anyone know the differerence between slotted and cross drilled or a combo of both. I have been hearing that a slotted and cross drilled do not have enough surface area so race car drivers have stopped using them. Looking for an alternitave for stock breaks due to driving in rush hour traffic in NY which has multiple fast stops from 55 to 0 for extended periods. This does warp stock rotors fairly quick. Thanks in advance for any one with experience in this area.

capn is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 94 Eldorado ETC

with brakes you dont want to skimp on many things, but power slot if a good place to buy rotors, or brembo. but go with slotted rotors if you have the choice of slotted or slotted and drilled.

drilled rotors have a tendancy to crack around the holes, sometimes its just better to go with normal rotors, and slotted does tend to eat pads. and always when installing rotors dont be hard on them first 10 miles so you do not warp them.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.