PSI question?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Suspension, Brakes and Tires Discussion, PSI question? in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; my tires are rated for 44 psi, the tires are fairly new, but when i fill them to 44 psi, ...
    CaddieMan709 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 95 Eldorado

Question PSI question?

my tires are rated for 44 psi, the tires are fairly new, but when i fill them to 44 psi, they still look really under inflated... there is no air leak they hold their pressure but i filled one up, it doesnt look full and to the right pressure until it hits 49/50 psi, so should i leave the tire at 44 psi or eyeball it?? im not getting new tires when these tires arent old and have plentry of tred left of them
    im thinking ever since i just filled them to 44 psi and they look under inflated thats why im losing gas milage, any ideas??

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

carnut is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante' (sold), 1984 Eldorado, 84 Sedan DeVille

Re: PSI question?

This inflation misinformation has been around for at least 75 years. Inflate the tires to what the decal on the car says. The MAX inflation stated on the tire itself relates to at what PSI the tire can safely be inflated cold before blowing up! The tire has no idea what car it has been installed on. The car manufacturer does the research to come up with a pressure that is #1 safe, #2 best compromise for wear and ride. Then it gets posted on a decal on door jamb, gas filler lid or door post depending on who makes the car. Adjusting 2 to 5 lb. from the decal for added weight can help make the tire last longer and run cooler. Every tire regardless of what car it eventually gets put on has a MAX pressure stated on the side wall as a liability protection so some idiot doesnt just keep adding air till it explodes. Newer radial tires are designed to flex on the sidewall to aid in better cornering traction. To the newbie they will, if fact, look under inflated.

Normally i would read the sidewall and go by that, the only reason i questioned it was because it seems to a lot less inflated than what it previously did, even tho the pressure gadge tells me its staying the same, and no, the temperate outside has been the same for the past couple months so its not getting colder outside, normally i wouldnt have said anything

codewize is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1991 Brougham d'Elegance / 2001 DTS / 2002 DTS

carnut is correct. The number on the sidewall is the MAX the tire can be inflated to safely. Don't use that number or you'll most likely wear tires like crazy and decrease handling causing your car to become unsafe and unstable.

Inflate to the recommended pressure on the door sticker.
    Ownership:
    91 Brougham d'Elegance 350
    02 Deville DTS
    01 Deville DTS:
    Custom installed Volant CAI
    Custom PCM
    Body color engine components
    Cruiser Alloy wheels
    EBC brakes and rotors
    Eibach springs
    Corsa exhaust
    Sportwing Spoiler
    Semi-custom interior
    Custom quad Hi-Beams
    Future Plans: More interior work.

Memberships:
    National and regional Cadillac & LaSalle Club
    Proud Volunteer - Northstar Tuning Project
    Guinness World Records - Largest Cadillac Parade

----------------------------

Krashed989 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 Eldorado, and a 99 ETC

The sticker is NOT correct however if you use a tire that does not have some of the stock specifications such as weight rating and maximum PSI rating on the tire. I believe that the maximum PSI rating on the stock tires was 35psi. So for a 4600 pound vehicle (such as my eldo), distributed evenly (I know it's not, but I forget what the weights were in the front and back so I'm just going to say evenly distributed.) would mean that 1150 pounds are on each wheel. That means that the tire has to be able to lift at least 32.87 pounds for every PSI in the tire.

So lets say you just bought a tire with a load rating of "86". That code means that each tire can lift 1168 pounds. Now lets say that it has a maximum PSI rating of 44psi. That means that for every psi in the tire, it can lift 26.55 pounds. So going by the sticker's 30psi would only have the tire lifting 796.5 pounds of the 1150 being place on it. That tire would be underinflated.

This is why it really depends on the load rating/psi rating of the tire you're using.

krimson_cardnal is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 96DeVille

Door Sticker PSI is for the OEM set-up. ALWAYS look at your tire on a clean, smooth, level surface. Inflate to 36PSI and look at it. Bump it up to 46PSI look again. My guess is over inflation. Better MPG. Wear centered on tread. Hard/Firm ride.

COOL Inflation:
    36PSI - front
    34PSI - rear

96DeVille

ok i read the door, it said 35 psi for tires, i did it, the tires dont really look much different than when i had them at 42 psi i suppose, the only problem is im getting a LOT more squeeling going around corners and accelerating, and by no means am i whiping around corners, just at a normal pace and its starting to bug me, is this normal? if not im going to fill them up a little more, im cant listen to that squeeling all the time

MashBill is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2001 DeVille DTS

Quote Originally Posted by CaddieMan709 View Post
    ok i read the door, it said 35 psi for tires, i did it, the tires dont really look much different than when i had them at 42 psi i suppose, the only problem is im getting a LOT more squeeling going around corners and accelerating, and by no means am i whiping around corners, just at a normal pace and its starting to bug me, is this normal? if not im going to fill them up a little more, im cant listen to that squeeling all the time
    What brand, model, and size are they?

krimson_cardnal is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 96DeVille

Bring 'em up to 38PSI lower rears a bit. Don't fear finding the best pressures for your set-up. Be objective to a point then go by seat of the pants feel. K_C

haha thanks, and MashBill they are Goodyear Allegra P225

MashBill is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2001 DeVille DTS

haha thanks, and MashBill they are Goodyear Allegra P225
    Thanks. I'm not familiar with that tire and I can't find any data on it.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.