break lines on 86 deville
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Suspension, Brakes and Tires Discussion, break lines on 86 deville in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; hey im a new poster here. i have a 1986 sedan deville. recently i started my car put my foot ...
    YOUNGBULGER is offline Cadillac Owners Member

break lines on 86 deville

hey im a new poster here. i have a 1986 sedan deville. recently i started my car put my foot on the break and it went all the way to the floor. called my dad outside had him take a look under the car, and once you step on the break it just starts spraying out fluid on the drivers side right underneath the drivers side door. so im guessing i need new break lines.

however, what is the length of the break line that i will need to buy? and is it a front, rear, or center? autozone and napa have items on their website, but they are called "brake hoses" is this what i need? any information would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

79 Seville is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Re: break lines on 86 deville

Technical questions on this are not of my experience, but why not get a little of the same size tubing and 2 couplers and replace the leaking area? Seems like you're doing the work yourself, and also that this would be just as good and less expense.

DaveSmed is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1968 Cadillac Sedan deVille, 1994 Chevrolet G20

Before you buy anything, check where the leak is coming from. IIRC, the combination valve was mounted on a framerail farther up, so One of the fittings could be leaking and running down.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Cadillac Forums
    Advertisements

YOUNGBULGER is offline Cadillac Owners Member

no, there is a hole right in the steel, it is coming right out of the line, not dripping down from the top.

brougham is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre, 1994 DeVille

You're probably not going to be able to buy that specific line from a parts store. You'll probably have to get the size of the line and measure how long it is and make a new one yourself. Then you'll have to deal with bleeding the back brakes when you're done.

carnut is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1999 BMW 740 Il. 2005 Jag XK8, 1988 Mercedes Benz 300 SE

The section of the hard line that is leaking should be cut out and a new hard line fitted. Unless you are very familiar with using a double flare tool to fix the line, I would trust this to a brake mechanic. Also is the hole from an impact or is it corroded thru? Again, I would recommend a trusted mechanic, this is not the type of repair to undertake unless the person is familiar. Could cost you your life!

9. Remove Advertisements
    Cadillac Forums
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

What Cadillac(s) do you own? (Or type NONE)

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.