uneven brake pad wears
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Suspension, Brakes and Tires Discussion, uneven brake pad wears in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; I have a 92 FWD fleetwood, and recently I finally replaced the front brake pads after hearing real annoying sound ...
    dsulu is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Unhappy uneven brake pad wears

I have a 92 FWD fleetwood, and recently I finally replaced the front brake pads after hearing real annoying sound from the front wheels.

This is what I noticed.

-the brake pads on the left front wheel are worn out almost to a point where it may have damaged the rotor.

-the brake pads on the right front wheel are still in condition as I replaced them about a year ago.

-About a year ago, I replaced the pads and both front rotors as they were really damaged from braking. They were damaged pretty evenly.( which leads me to believe that my currently discovered problem developed recently )

-I did the brake fluid bleeding this time.

-wheels are balanced.

-when I brake for the past few months, this is a severe vibrationg coming from the front wheels

-My vehicle did NOT pull to the right or left when I brake, and Nor does it NOW

-my ABS and traction control warning lights have been on for the past 2-3 years.

-I have not checked the rear brake shoes yet

-And NOW, I still feel that vibration

So what can be the problem or problems?

Any suggestion is greatly appreciated!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Re: uneven brake pad wears

Since you are not pulling when braking, I would assume that both left & right brakes are being applied. My guess would be that the slide pins on the left side are are rusted and thus not releasing. Pull that caliper and check the pins. Either clean them up and grease them with silicone brake caliper grease (Nothing else). If they are badly corroded, replace them (if that is the problem).

RedGalant2k1 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): N/A

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    Since you are not pulling when braking, I would assume that both left & right brakes are being applied. My guess would be that the slide pins on the left side are are rusted and thus not releasing. Pull that caliper and check the pins. Either clean them up and grease them with silicone brake caliper grease (Nothing else). If they are badly corroded, replace them (if that is the problem).
    Agreed.

Also anytime the pads are replaced they should be greased because they would have had to be removed to install new pads.

As for your current issues?

Your vibration is most likely warped (out of round) brake rotors. Also if your ABS light is on your brakes are not operating properly. The vehicle may not be pulling, but having an ABS and Traction control lights doesn't mean replacing the pads and bleeding the brakes will cure anything.

I'd have a professional mechanic inspect your vehicle rather than spend time and money replacing the brakepads every year. Its obvious you have a serious mechanical issue.

My recommendation would be to replace both front calipers and front brake rotors. Also get the vehicle scanned and fix the ABS and traction control issues, its most definitely related to your issues. Until thats fixed you can't truly expect proper brake performance or life.

dsulu is offline Cadillac Owners Member

My rotors are replaced about a year ago and when I visually inspected them about a week ago, they looked fine. I was lucky that the pads on the left front brake were ALMOST worn out.

In that case do I still have to replace them?

My vehicle's brake worked fine despite the ABS and Track control warning (which have been on for about three years) until recently.

I understand that for a safety reason the car should be inspected by a professional, I guess $$$ is the issue for me.

Thank you, everyone for all your input!!!

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

No need to replace the rotors. If you get any pulsation after you correct the problem, have them resurfaced.

ABS light might be a bad connection on the wheel speed sensor at the hub or a bad sensor, in which case the hub & bearing assembly needs to be R &R'd.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.