rear level control 92 deville ?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Suspension, Brakes and Tires Discussion, rear level control 92 deville ? in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; I have posted a version of this thread in the suspension area with no response maybe someone here can help. ...
    fullserviceman is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1993 Fleetwood Brougham

Question rear level control 92 deville ?

I have posted a version of this thread in the suspension area with no response maybe someone here can help. I had all thestruts replaced with original however the rear of the car is still too low more on the drivers side than the other. I unhooked the little are that connects the sensor lever to the rear lower control arm if that is what you call it. I manually raised it about an inch and the compressor kicked on raising the rear end evenly to the correct level. My is there any adjustment to this leveling system? with the switch lever connected correctly the car sits way to low in the rear. Please help

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

noahsdad is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '87 SDV

Re: rear level control 92 deville ?

You may also have a weak spring. Has the car been heavily loaded, such as carrying lots of cargo or hauling a trailer?

The height sensor is adjusted as follows:

1) Check to make sure there is a DA code printed on the body of the sensor. If so, it's not been replaced by an aftermarket unit, and is adjustable.

2) Loosen the lock nut that holds the metal sensor arm to the plastic sensor arm.

3) To raise vehicle height, move the plastic arm toward the top of the slot and retighten the nut. Do this in gradual stages. This adjustment causes the compressor to be activated with less downward travel.

Let us know how you make out.

Ok I adjusted the arm as you said and still didn't give me enough height. It is as far as I can adjust it. I need a little more. There is no trailer hitch so no towing and god knows what was in the trunk before I got it. Would a set of new springs give me much more height? I do not need much more but some to level the car out. at my wits end here never had this problem with any car before... Other option is permanently setting the air ride to where I want it but that is an absolute last resort... I like things original... help

The struts should contain only minimum air in a normal unloaded condition. The car's curb weight is supported by the springs. When loaded, the springs compress, then the struts are inflated with air to compensate and level the vehicle. Did your car sag to the driver's side before you had the rear struts replaced? It's starting to sound more like a spring issue.

Yes it was exactly the same before strut replacement... The front seems high and takes turn and bumps as if there were 900pounds in the trunk. Not sure what would cause the springs to go bad at 100,000 miles but I am guessing they are from what you say.. inside the trunk where the shock monts to looks benk some how on the wheel with the most sag... not sure what may have cause it.. what springs do you recommend? I have seen a pair at advance auto for $77 trw variable rate along with 4 other brands types...How hard are they to change? Thanks for any help..

Never had these rear springs out actually, but typically it's not that hard. The GM factory manual states you need a special tool to cradle the lower control arm, but I'm sure you could improvise.You'll definitely need a spring compressor, and a frame hoist would make it much easier. The Advance Auto springs would probably be fine.

Your mention of the bent shock mount in the trunk makes me wonder if this car hasn't taken flight sometime in it's life. Depending on how badly bent, I suppose that could even cause an awkward stance.

well I think I will have the springs changed professionally due to time.. I just need to find a competent mechanic who can fix that and the annoying exhaust leak that no one can seem to fix anywhere. I will keep ya posted when this happens. Thanks for the imput

Skullman is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '91 Fleetwood Coupe, '95 SLS

~ I would have the Bent Shock Mount looked at by a Competent Body Shop and Suspension Shop before swapping out springs! In the event it is bent in such a way that the ride stance is off you could always shim that side to ride right!? I've seen others extend the Rod at the other end of the Actuator Arm to get more height, especialy those who have gone with larger wheels "Dubs".

Skullman {:{}

My Fleetwood Coupe
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/406096

carnut is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante' (sold), 1984 Eldorado, 84 Sedan DeVille

I fully agree with SKULLMAN on both points.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.