Deville 95 rides high, is this a ELC problem??
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Suspension, Brakes and Tires Discussion, Deville 95 rides high, is this a ELC problem?? in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Sometimes it is just a bit high, but often it is at what seems to be a the max height ...
    mac_waterville is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 95 Deville

Deville 95 rides high, is this a ELC problem??

Sometimes it is just a bit high, but often it is at what seems to be a the max height the air shocks can take it. I first noticed this after getting new tires. Could they have messed up something.... like a wheel position sensor??

1995 Deville has 81,000 miles.

Surprisinly I don't show any codes as being bad, so the auto leveling control must think everything is OK.

The air compressor runs sometimes when the vehicle is started. Many times I don't hear the compressor run as the back end is already as high as it can go. I believe I used to hear it run everytime I started the car.

The ride is not good when it is all jacked up to the max. Other than putting 300 lbs in the trunk what can I do or what can I look for?

Thanks!
    MAC

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Krashed989 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 Eldorado, and a 99 ETC

Re: Deville 95 rides high, is this a ELC problem??

Try disconnecting the airlines from the shock to relieve the pressure. I think you have a problem with your exhaust valve. The exhaust valve works like a relay. It has an electromagnetic coil that actuates the valve. If the valve is stuck then it won't release the pressure.

Also to the forums!

Smile Re: Deville 95 rides high, is this a ELC problem??

Thanks for the reply Krashed.

I've been assigned major yardwork tasks by the DW so didn't get too much done yesterday. Did manage to find the ELC fuse in the trunk and pulled it out. No change overnight... so guess I don't have a leak

I have no idea where the exhasut valve is, or what it looks like. I just ordered a set of OEM service manuals as I have a only moderate amount of mechanical skills and don't like flying blind.

MAC

Krashed989 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 Eldorado, and a 99 ETC

The exhaust valve is inside of the compressor assembly... I've never taken it apart before so I'm not sure of what to look out for there.

Thanks Krashed... looks like you were right on on the initial call.

Just to give an update.
    Received the OEM manuals, they did help a bit.

Letting the air out did lower the car, when it bottoms out measures about 21.5" from the rear wheel fender wheel to the road. When it is pumped up high it measures 24.5".

I disconected the height adjustment linkage. When moved up the compressor runs. When lowered it shuts off.

So far so good. However when taken below the shut-off point... nothing happens. So it does look like the exhaust valve is stuck.

It looks like the exhast value isn't working. The manual indicates that the valve is part of the compressor assembly and doesn't show any detail.

Don't know what to do for sure. Don't really feel like buying a compressor. I just put the car at about 22" from the point I was measuring as that seems to be about "right" to me. I then pulled the fuse. I've had it this way for a week and can't measure any change in the height so far.

MAC

Leeb is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): did this once... 86 Deville, 86 300E, 78 R100rs

Quote Originally Posted by mac_waterville View Post
    Thanks Krashed... looks like you were right on on the initial call.

Just to give an update.
    Received the OEM manuals, they did help a bit.

Letting the air out did lower the car, when it bottoms out measures about 21.5" from the rear wheel fender wheel to the road. When it is pumped up high it measures 24.5".

I disconected the height adjustment linkage. When moved up the compressor runs. When lowered it shuts off.

So far so good. However when taken below the shut-off point... nothing happens. So it does look like the exhaust valve is stuck.

It looks like the exhast value isn't working. The manual indicates that the valve is part of the compressor assembly and doesn't show any detail.

Don't know what to do for sure. Don't really feel like buying a compressor. I just put the car at about 22" from the point I was measuring as that seems to be about "right" to me. I then pulled the fuse. I've had it this way for a week and can't measure any change in the height so far.

MAC
    Other than placement they haven't made many changes to the compressor in umpteen years... visit a salvage yard and look for some 'pretty' ones... you'll most likely find one that can work for you.

If not, you'll certainly be able to swap out the exhaust valve... assuming you're the 'curious and destructive' type...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.