Replacing Front Strut Bearing Plates
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Suspension, Brakes and Tires Discussion, Replacing Front Strut Bearing Plates in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Hi all! I havent posted in a while mainly because my car has been good to me, however, now I ...
    The_Wolverine is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1992 Cadillac Deville

Replacing Front Strut Bearing Plates

Hi all!
    I havent posted in a while mainly because my car has been good to me, however, now I must seek the wisdom of my superior owners. I have a 1992 Cadillac Deville, FWD. I noticed a rattling in my front end for some months now, after all my searching I couldnt seem to find out where it was coming from. So I live with it untill I notice my car pulling on occation, justwhenever it wants to, nothing specific. I did notice if I make a hard left before getting on the highway my car would pull left. Just recently a new noise arised: after the car is parked for a while, and I back up or pull forward and turn, I hear a loud, low "THONG THONG". Which made me suspect the front bearing plates for the struts, so I take it to midas to get a second opinion. sure enough my bearing plates are almost shot. so, their estimate is $566 to replace just the plates, but strongly recomended I replace the front struts while I'm at it, since the car has 98K on it. Which would bring the bill to $914. (if you think those numbers are steep, the dealer wanted $1000 for just the bearing plates). This brings me to my questions:

1.Is there anything I should know about or be cautious about when replacing these bearing plates?
    2.should I replace the struts too?
    3.where is the best place for parts?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Jack

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with floor shift)

Re: Replacing Front Strut Bearing Plates

Don't know about 1 & 2 but the best place for parts is Auto Parts Fast at RockAuto or GM Parts at Brasington

JimD is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '98 STS (RIP @ 206,xxx), '04 DTS & the witch driver gone.

Re: Replacing Front Strut Bearing Plates

1. The effort is exactly like replacing the struts.
    2. If you plan to keep the ride for a year or two and your present struts are not damping rebound, it would be an opportunity to save a labor charge down the road.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.