Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

Thread: Replacing Front Strut Bearing Plates

The_Wolverine is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1992 Cadillac Deville

Replacing Front Strut Bearing Plates

Hi all!
    I havent posted in a while mainly because my car has been good to me, however, now I must seek the wisdom of my superior owners. I have a 1992 Cadillac Deville, FWD. I noticed a rattling in my front end for some months now, after all my searching I couldnt seem to find out where it was coming from. So I live with it untill I notice my car pulling on occation, justwhenever it wants to, nothing specific. I did notice if I make a hard left before getting on the highway my car would pull left. Just recently a new noise arised: after the car is parked for a while, and I back up or pull forward and turn, I hear a loud, low "THONG THONG". Which made me suspect the front bearing plates for the struts, so I take it to midas to get a second opinion. sure enough my bearing plates are almost shot. so, their estimate is $566 to replace just the plates, but strongly recomended I replace the front struts while I'm at it, since the car has 98K on it. Which would bring the bill to $914. (if you think those numbers are steep, the dealer wanted $1000 for just the bearing plates). This brings me to my questions:

1.Is there anything I should know about or be cautious about when replacing these bearing plates?
    2.should I replace the struts too?
    3.where is the best place for parts?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Jack

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Re: Replacing Front Strut Bearing Plates

Don't know about 1 & 2 but the best place for parts is Auto Parts Fast at RockAuto or GM Parts at Brasington

JimD is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '98 STS (RIP @ 206,xxx miles)

Re: Replacing Front Strut Bearing Plates

1. The effort is exactly like replacing the struts.
    2. If you plan to keep the ride for a year or two and your present struts are not damping rebound, it would be an opportunity to save a labor charge down the road.