Suspension, Brakes and Tires Discussion, Replacing Front Strut Bearing Plates in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Hi all! I havent posted in a while mainly because my car has been good to me, however, now I ...
- 08-27-06 02:17 AM #1Cadillac Owners Member
- Automobile(s): 1992 Cadillac Deville
- Join Date
- Sep 2005
Replacing Front Strut Bearing Plates
I havent posted in a while mainly because my car has been good to me, however, now I must seek the wisdom of my superior owners. I have a 1992 Cadillac Deville, FWD. I noticed a rattling in my front end for some months now, after all my searching I couldnt seem to find out where it was coming from. So I live with it untill I notice my car pulling on occation, justwhenever it wants to, nothing specific. I did notice if I make a hard left before getting on the highway my car would pull left. Just recently a new noise arised: after the car is parked for a while, and I back up or pull forward and turn, I hear a loud, low "THONG THONG". Which made me suspect the front bearing plates for the struts, so I take it to midas to get a second opinion. sure enough my bearing plates are almost shot. so, their estimate is $566 to replace just the plates, but strongly recomended I replace the front struts while I'm at it, since the car has 98K on it. Which would bring the bill to $914. (if you think those numbers are steep, the dealer wanted $1000 for just the bearing plates). This brings me to my questions:
1.Is there anything I should know about or be cautious about when replacing these bearing plates?
2.should I replace the struts too?
3.where is the best place for parts?
Thanks in advance for your help!
- 08-27-06 11:34 AM #2
- 08-30-06 07:07 AM #3Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
- Automobile(s): '98 STS (RIP @ 206,xxx miles)
- Join Date
- Sep 2003
- Metro ATL
Re: Replacing Front Strut Bearing Plates
1. The effort is exactly like replacing the struts.
2. If you plan to keep the ride for a year or two and your present struts are not damping rebound, it would be an opportunity to save a labor charge down the road.
+ Reply to Thread
Gear in this thread - Powered by O'Reilly Auto Parts
- Mr. Gasket - Fuel Pressure Gauge
Fuel Pressure Gauge - 1/8" male NPT fittingMore on Mr. Gasket - Fuel Pressure Gauge
- Hopkins Manufacturing SubZero - Snowbrush
Snowbrush - Telescopic Snowbrush With Ice Chisel(R) Scraper; 42 Inch Length
- Meguiar's - Ultimate Wash & Wax
Ultimate Wash & Wax - 48 Oz.More on Meguiar's - Ultimate Wash & Wax