bunch of tire questions
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Suspension, Brakes and Tires Discussion, bunch of tire questions in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; The stock 17's on my CTS are 225/50/17. I'm trying to plan ahead for tires. I'm contemplating getting some high ...
    ChicagoCTS32 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2003 1SC Diamond White CTS

bunch of tire questions

The stock 17's on my CTS are 225/50/17. I'm trying to plan ahead for tires. I'm contemplating getting some high performance summer tires and some winter tires to push me through the slushy months. For tires that have a treadlife warranty, how do you prove when you had your winter tires/summer tires on?

I'm also looking for some recommendations. I was originally going to ask about running 225/55/17 Goodyear Assurance Tripletread, but people have said that they're not the greatest for dry traction, but a good all season tire.
    I know that's not an exact size match, but would they work?

I was thinking about running Goodyear GS-D3's for my summer tires because I've heard pretty good things about them. Or I could go half the price and get Kumho Ecsta SPT.

For the winters, most people seem to run Blizzaks around here, but I used to run Continental all seasons on my old car and I saw Conti had some ContiWinterContacts for a reasonable price. Thoughts?

Thanks tire friends.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Dadillac is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2015 Mazda3 S GT Hatchback 2013 Kia Optima SXL

Re: bunch of tire questions

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoCTS32 View Post
    I'm also looking for some recommendations. I was originally going to ask about running 225/55/17 Goodyear Assurance Tripletread, but people have said that they're not the greatest for dry traction, but a good all season tire.
    If you are not an autocrosser, or a highway racer, the Assurance has excellent dry traction. I have had alot of tires on my vehicles over the years (I am 40), and these triple treads are the best tire I have ever driven on. They excel in all areas, as long as you do not over do it. But for normal everyday stuff, you can't go wrong. Your current 225/50/17's have a 25.85" diameter. A 225/55/17 tire has a 26.74" diameter. That means almost a 1/2" radius increase. Do some measuring. They might just be able to fit.

Don

Quote Originally Posted by Dadillac View Post
    If you are not an autocrosser, or a highway racer, the Assurance has excellent dry traction. I have had alot of tires on my vehicles over the years (I am 40), and these triple treads are the best tire I have ever driven on. They excel in all areas, as long as you do not over do it. But for normal everyday stuff, you can't go wrong. Your current 225/50/17's have a 25.85" diameter. A 225/55/17 tire has a 26.74" diameter. That means almost a 1/2" radius increase. Do some measuring. They might just be able to fit.

Don
    Thanks. Maybe redgalant2k1 will chime in here as well.

The #1 draw for me for the tripletreads is the 80,000 mile treadlife warranty.
    I think the extra 1" diam. for the rubber might help to fill up the wheel well a little better as well. It should only affect the speedo about 1 mph right?

Tire size calculator
    Read this, It sayd you will be off a few mph at 60 mph. But this may not be a bad thing. First check your speedo now. Not all speedos are accurate. Find an interstate that has mile markers. Drive a measured 10 miles, and see how many tenths you are off now. You may be surprised how far off it is.

Don

Neat calculator. Looks like 2.1mph @ 60mph. Not bad. I have a tomtom that shows the speed of the car, I never really thought to check the difference between the speedo and the navi. I'll try that this weekend. Thanks again.

codewize is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1991 Brougham d'Elegance / 2001 DTS / 2002 DTS

The only problem with the TripleTred is you can't get them anywhere. At least in 235/55/17 they're back ordered to hell and back with no production date.

I'm looking at the Pirelli P-Zero Nero and the Goodyear Eagle Response Edge. Someone also mentioned in one of my tire question posts that they didn't like the TripleTred because it was noisy and had poor driving characteristics. Everyone else seems to think they're great.

I think I'm just going to drive until I have a blowout and get whatever the local shop has in stock. Then I don't have to think about it.

MashBill is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2001 DeVille DTS

I've heard nothing but great comments about the Pirelli P-Zero Nero M+S. TireRack has them on special for $100 each. I'm going to order a set next week. For that price, I don't see how I could go wrong.

I agree. For the money they seem like a great tire. Good reviews but they don't seem to fair well in the snow. I'm waiting for other comments. I also noticed that the TrippleTred now has a delivery date of 10/10.

Quote Originally Posted by MashBill View Post
    I've heard nothing but great comments about the Pirelli P-Zero Nero M+S. TireRack has them on special for $100 each. I'm going to order a set next week. For that price, I don't see how I could go wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by codewize View Post
    I agree. For the money they seem like a great tire. Good reviews but they don't seem to fair well in the snow. I'm waiting for other comments. I also noticed that the TrippleTred now has a delivery date of 10/10.
    If you can wait until then, get the Good Years. I do not know if I mentioned this. When I had the Assurance on my Seville, I went through one winter with them. The FWD Seville, with it's traction control, and stabilitrak, and the triple treads, drove like a 4WD in the snow and ice. I rarely lost traction. The stabilitrak only kicked in like two times all winter.

With as much as I plug these tires, I should be getting a check from GY . I have Continentals on the car now. If they suck in the snow, I will be getting me some triple treads. That is as long as the 235/55/17 size is available. Good luck to you on whichever tire you choose.

Don

I can wait until Oct. Maybe I should place the order now so I''m on the list

The responseEdge tires are supposed to be nice, but they have no treadlife warranty and cost about $180/ea. That's a little steep for an all season tire with NO mileage warranty. The tripletreads have an 80 or 85k mile warranty. Much better investment if I'm going to drop almost $200 per tire.

I'm glad to see they're back in stock. I think my RSA's will make it through this winter, but only about halfway through next summer.

Response Edge are $133 and Triple Tred are $138 at Tire Rack 235/55/17

RedGalant2k1 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): N/A

The stock 17's on my CTS are 225/50/17. I'm trying to plan ahead for tires. I'm contemplating getting some high performance summer tires and some winter tires to push me through the slushy months. For tires that have a treadlife warranty, how do you prove when you had your winter tires/summer tires on?
    Thats easy you can estimate the usage on the tire by its tread depth in 32nds of an inch.

A basic example: Most tires start at 10/32nds. The 'wear bars' are placed at 2/32nds at which the tire is effectively worn out and needs to be replaced. This gives us 8/32nds of total wear on the tire.

Lets say you used them for two summers and after that the remaining tread depth is 6/32nds. That means our example tire is 50% worn based on tread depth. The tire's mileage cannot be estimated, but total tire usage can be.

Most people will never exceed the capabilities of a tire like Goodyear's Assurance TripleTred. In my experience the Assurance is by far the best all-weather passenger car on the market. I've literally sold thousands, with 99 of 100 customers being extremely satisfied, and infact they have bought Assurances on other vehicles and many have recommended them to their families and friends.

I was thinking about running Goodyear GS-D3's for my summer tires because I've heard pretty good things about them. Or I could go half the price and get Kumho Ecsta SPT.
    TireRack did a comparision test (as well as Tire Review) on many sport tires including the Eagle F1 GS-D3. The GS-D3 exceeded the overall capabilities of every other tire in that test.

I'd recommend if its in your budget thats a must buy tire for excellent dry and wet performance.

For the winters, most people seem to run Blizzaks around here, but I used to run Continental all seasons on my old car and I saw Conti had some ContiWinterContacts for a reasonable price. Thoughts?

Thanks tire friends.
    The Bridgestones are pricey to say the least. However if you plan on driving the same in the winter as you do in the summer you may as well spring for a set of Bridgestone Blizzak LM-22s.

Nice options that I've always recommended are Dunlops Winter Sport M3, or Michelins Pilot Alpin. I done both kinds on several high end Mercedes, BMW, and Infiniti's.

My brother has the Pilot Alpins on his Celica and those drive fantastic in the winter.

Btw, 225/55-17s will fit a Cadillac CTS.

Thanks red!

A follow up question. The RS-A that come stock are V rated to 149 mph. The tripletreds are only R rated to 106. I don't often drive over 100, but the temptation is there. Am I going to have an instant blow out if I crest 106 or is that more of a recommendation?

RedGalant2k1 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): N/A

Thanks red!

A follow up question. The RS-A that come stock are V rated to 149 mph. The tripletreds are only R rated to 106. I don't often drive over 100, but the temptation is there. Am I going to have an instant blow out if I crest 106 or is that more of a recommendation?
    The Assurance in a 225/55-17" size is H-rated (130mph). Its more than capable enough for the average driver, and even many occasionally spirited drivers. I don't recall ever seeing any tire that is r-rated.

A tire size reads like this on your tire: 225/50R17 95W
    • The first number (225) is the width of the tire in millimeters.
    • The second number (50) is the profile (sidewall height) of the tire measured as a percentage of the first number. In this case it means the tire's sidewall is 50% as tall as the tire is wide.
    • The (R) stands for radial. This is the method of construction used in building the tire.
    • The (17) is the wheel diameter.
    • The (95W) is the load index and performance rating.
    TireRack.com gives a longer description of a tires size here: Tire Tech - Tire Size Information

As for your question of possible tire damage if you exceed its performance rating? Its possible, but when a tires are tested to the point of explosion they have taken excessive heat, and load for much longer than a spirited 30min drive on the highways or backroads.

Now I don't recommend driving above the speed limit to test the limits of your tires, but they are more than capable of handling speeds in excess of 100mph for several hours.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.