Cadillac Owners Forum banner

03 STS with Magnetic Ride Control - F55

10K views 27 replies 5 participants last post by  Sweetsway 
#1 ·
Looking for some used parts for this vehicle has proven to be quite the task....
I was hoping the community could point me in the right direction.
I am at the point where a decision must be made to either convert the strut/shock system
To passive...... as opposed to the f55 system.....or to purchase the f55 struts used. I have found the strut on Amazon for $570 which is great for an 1100 strut. Unfortunately I cannot afford both...which I need desperately.
I called all local (and not so local) salvage yards and no one seems to have them.
I am also receiving the p0420 code (catalytic converter)......can anyone guide me on the best replacement?

#2 ·
A used shock/strut is unlikely to be any better than your existing old/worn shock/strut. A new passive damper will outperform a worn active one any day.

A Walker or Eastern direct fit converter is a good choice. Check for misfire codes or a faulty FPR before replacing it.

#4 ·
Yup - either pay to play or convert the car to passive suspension.

The resistors needed to fool the suspension sensing system into thinking it still has active struts/shocks are 5 Watt 2 Ohm power resistors from Radio Shack or Parts Express (Electronics components site).

If you sell the car you'll have to disclose that it is no longer an STS, suspension and handling-wise.

#7 ·
==================================

it would be best to do all at once -
but you could break it down front and rear if you had to -

HOWEVER -

Monroe has a rebate going on -
you get a $75 pre-paid Visa card if you buy 2 shocks and 2 struts -
http://www.monroe.com/assets/downloads/promotions/2016-US-Monroe-Get-100-FINAL-REBATE-PAD.pdf

struts -
MONROE 71684 - $65 each - with free shipping -
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000C53TGA/?ie=UTF8&me=ATVPDKIKX0DER

shocks -
MONROE MA822 - $60 for the pair - with free shipping -
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000C55T7W/?ie=UTF8&me=A3CM4NUYDVGV5D

#8 ·
Great!
I actually just got off the phone with a representative of strutmasters.....now I've also heard there is no bypass for this model...but strutmasters is telling me they do have it...I'm a bit confused.
Is there or is there not a bypass for the system? (I mean without the "Mickey mousing" of wires and transistors?)
Not that I am opposed to doing so...I was only hoping to have an easy as possible install.

#10 ·
==============================
strutmasters is overpriced garbage - almost as bad as arnott -

Is there or is there not a bypass for the system?
YES - there is a "bypass" for the system -

(I mean without the "Mickey mousing" of wires and transistors?)

NO - it takes a set of resistors - if you call that mickeymouse -

#9 ·
Strutmasters - phooey.

The "bypass" is a simple 35 cent resistor across each strut/shock control harness connector so the sophisticated system "sees" a strut/shock is connected each corner.

Strutmasters and Arnott will sell you a "bypass" with cutesy connectors for about $50 apiece. Get them from my previous sources.

And you're not Mickey Mousing the system - no transistors involved. You're simply defeating a highly sophisticated suspension control system in order to cheap out and go passive, with its attendant loss of suspension control. HOWEVER, if you never drive the STS as it was designed to be driven you'll probably never notice the difference.

"Easy as possible install"??? Get the struts and shocks. Install the necessary mounts, bearings, spring isolators, double check the rear height control system, install components. You WILL need the Monroe rear ride height control shocks - that feature has nothing to do with F55 magnetic Ride Control. Install the jumper resistors across the body harness pigtail connectors - same as sticking a bent paper clip into a wall plug - and waterproof well.

#14 ·
There were precious few (in the order of things) F55 STS ever built - 4528 in the end of 2002, about 7500 in 2003, and ~700 2004s - and all 2004 went to export. So, there were (and are nowhere near now) about 12,000 of them in the States. Aftermarket support is zilch, demand is zilch, R&D is zilch, spare parts support is zilch. We own dinosaurs. The only ones left in 2020 will be in Jay Leno's garage or out in CadillacHeaven.

#20 ·
Realize though that these aren't the only cars on the planet with Delphi MRC. There are many others using this technology, including non-GM products. As the Corvettes that came with MRC since 2003 begin to have failures on these types of shocks, someone will probably come out with a solution to rebuild those units when the GM supply dissapears. The demand may arise at some point.

#15 ·
Thank you all for all of the detailed info....
Looks like I have a major decision on my hands.
problem is I just can't afford 2 new f55 struts...even at the amazing price of $570 on Amazon...
If I were to convert the front struts to a passive system...could I reconvert to the f55 without issue?
If I decide to put just one (f55)...how long before its damaged due to the other one being shot if at all?
Please excuse my ignorance....I am by no means a mechanic..

#18 ·
@submariner409.....you mention that strutmasters sells the resistor for $50? (Which is quite a jump from the cost of the diy fix.)
But does the resistor actually work?
I noticed on th arnott website that they also have it...but it clearly states that they do not have it for 2002-2003 models.
I only ask as I would like to be informed of all options open to me.
Also....what would you suggest for waterproofing the bypass?

#19 ·
The resistor simulates the load the suspension control system sees when all is right. It (all 4 corners) is absolutely necessary to prevent several warnings, speed limiters, and braking alterations.

Waterproof with a ball of GE silicone RTV. Each original strut/shock has a wiring pigtail connected to the main body harnesses at each corner. IF the struts shocks are shot and will be discarded, simply cut back the (2-wire) pigtail (don't cut the body harness) and solder the resistor across the two pigtail bared wires, insulate/waterproof. Then, if you ever get rich and restore the system, you simply unplug the rigged bypasses and plug in the new strut/shock pigtails.

Take anything you hear from either Arnott or Strutmasters with a large grain of salt.

Attachments

#24 ·
#25 ·
Well Sub, you were right. I emailed BWI this morning, here's their response:

No one is authorized to rebuild BWI's MagneRide shocks and struts. They are not designed to be "rebuilt." Please note that if you believe that the dampers are not working properly, the fault might lie with sensors or the electronic control unit. You will have to go to a dealership to diagnose the true cause of your performance problem. If the vehicle has been in a crash, and the MagneRide damper has been physically damaged, it must be replaced with a new damper.

Best Regards,

Charles E. Horne, Jr. (Chuck Horne) Business Planning Manager

BWI Group
3100 Research Blvd.
Kettering, Ohio 45420 USA
Telephone Office (none; mobile only)
Telephone Mobile +1.937.657.1121
Fax +1.937.455.5229
charles.e.horne.jr@bwigroup.com
http://www.bwigroup.com

#27 ·
Looks like the struts were not the issue...It was recommended to have the balljoint/control arm and the outer tie rod replaced...which was just completed. seems like a much tighter ride But the car still "floats" And there is a sound coming from the ride side that sounds almost like what I would imagine a bad bushing would sound. (Heavy rubber rubbing on metal)
I am starting to think the strut mounts??
How can I check this?
Also the abs sensor cable was found broken (reason for abs light)...I know this may be an odd question but is the abs light somehow tied to the suspension light?
And assuming it is in fact the strut mounts...are they a particular to the f55 system?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.