Brake Drum Question
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Suspension, Brakes and Tires Discussion, Brake Drum Question in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; My 74 eldorado sat for about 10yrs. The wheels were locked up... I took the drums to see if they ...
    74eldog is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 74 Eldorado

Brake Drum Question

My 74 eldorado sat for about 10yrs. The wheels were locked up...

I took the drums to see if they could be turned the guy told me that they were at the max.

My question is:

Since they are at the maximum, can I sand out the little groove (from shoes locking up) out of them and use them again?

The cheapest ones i can find new are like $90 a piece....

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

EcSTSatic is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1999 STS - diamond white

Re: Brake Drum Question

I can't imagine then costing that much! Have you checked the salvage yards for a turnable pair?

It may just be a personal preference but I don't like to do a brake job with worn drums. The reason for not using thin drums is that they tend to heat up quickly causing fade and possibly cracking.

Quote Originally Posted by EcSTSatic
    I can't imagine then costing that much! Have you checked the salvage yards for a turnable pair?

It may just be a personal preference but I don't like to do a brake job with worn drums. The reason for not using thin drums is that they tend to heat up quickly causing fade and possibly cracking.

Yes, they cost that much...(napa, advance, haven't check AZ yet) I want to do the brake job, so I'll end up buying new... one now, one later......

I went to pick n pull and had them run an interchange for me, unfortunately eldorado are in class by themselves with drums........

Thanks

dkozloski is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger

Thin drums flex under load and the brakes go to hell when you need them most.

RedGalant2k1 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): N/A

No offense, but what would you buy anything brake related out of a salvage yard for a 1974 Cadillac?

Its not really personal preference not doing brake work with worn drums/rotors, its more of a safety thing.

74eldog,

Buy the new drums, your much better off spending the money and doing it right.

DA !!!

Everything brake related will be new. Doin it right isn't even a option.

Every now and then you can run up on a good set of drums/brake parts at the bone yard!!!!

EcSTSatic is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1999 STS - diamond white

Quote Originally Posted by 74eldog
    DA !!!

Everything brake related will be new. Doin it right isn't even a option.

Every now and then you can run up on a good set of drums/brake parts at the bone yard!!!!
    I agree, but as RedGalant2k1 mentions, it may be difficult to find good parts for a '74

I hope you mean doing it wrong isn't an option

I agree, but as RedGalant2k1 mentions, it may be difficult to find good parts for a '74

I hope you mean doing it wrong isn't an option
    Ok here it is in English.....

I have no other option than to do it right the first time.....

RedGalant2k1 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): N/A

Quote Originally Posted by 74eldog View Post
    Ok here it is in English.....

I have no other option than to do it right the first time.....
    Have you tried Original Parts Group?

Or Cadillac King (818-890-0621)?? http://ll.hemmings.com/pdfs/CadillacKing63521.pdf

Or Cadillac International (845-365-8290) http://ll.hemmings.com/pdfs/CadillacI176840.pdf

codewize is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1991 Brougham d'Elegance / 2001 DTS / 2002 DTS

I would have no problem using a good pair of used drums. Rear brakes are only 30% of your stopping if that. I'm not denying the fact that we should do it right. Hmm I guess I'm assuming that we're talking about the rear brakes?

Brakes are a safety issue and should be done right without skimping or cutting corners. However in the case of an older car a good pair of used drums will work fine if you need to save some cash. I found a beautiful pair of drums for my 67 Camaro that didn't even need to be turned.

If your going to do this you certainly don't want grooves in there, that will only cause premature shoe wear and less braking surface. If the wheel cylinders are even a little rusty think about changing them and definitely get the spring kit and replace all the springs.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.