Master Cylinder fluid level
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Suspension, Brakes and Tires Discussion, Master Cylinder fluid level in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; My 94 seville switches the ABS light on every once in a long while during this winter driving. During this, ...
    Cyberdan3 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2001 Cadillac STS

Master Cylinder fluid level

My 94 seville switches the ABS light on every once in a long while during this winter driving. During this, traction and ABS is disabled, and it tells me to check my brake fluid. I look in the master cylinder reservoir, and i see fluid filled a little more than half way. My question is, how full should it be? If it is too full, wont the pressure from the primary and secondary pistons force the reservoir cap to pop off and spray fluid out? Thanks in advance for the help.

p.s. Has anyone else had this problem with the ABS light going on, and the traction being disabled.....how did you fix it?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

JoeBleed is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Re: Master Cylinder fluid level

Well i am not positive about newer cars with abs, but most i have seen and older cars with out abs are usualy 3/4 or the way full. some times a little more. I personaly think from my past only half full is not enough. the resevor should have full marks on the side. if not, and you have it, check the owners manual. there should be a section in there about fluid levels, quanties, checking procdures, and such. If you don't have it, and belive me i can understand why, try and go buy your nearest gm dealer. They should not charge you anything to tell you how much fluid it takes. If they do... never go back. (my opinion)
    As for the lite, i am not sure due to my lack of experience with abs. but it may actualy come on when fluid leve lis low or low fluid level and maybe air in the system could cause this. I can see how air would cause a problem for abs to work.

let me know if you can't find out and next time i am near a gm/cady place i will try and rember to ask.

MMNineInchNails is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

There is probably a little filter there when you take the master cylinder cap off right? the fluid level shoud be just above the filter. It should be full enough to not spew out the sides when you put the cap back on, and it should definatly be higher than the little filter thing. Make sure you put proper brake fluid in and check your manual too.

beemer2k is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

I have a 96 STS and there's a full line that looks like a minus sign on the side of the master cylinder reservoir.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.