Brake broke today
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Suspension, Brakes and Tires Discussion, Brake broke today in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Today, my brake line broke. I was coming to complete stop and as I pressed the pedal for the final-a-bit-more ...
    100 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1995 Sedan De Ville (4.9 L)

Brake broke today

Today, my brake line broke. I was coming to complete stop and as I pressed the pedal for the final-a-bit-more deeper pressing, it started loosing the pressure and the pedal wanted to go all the way... I am glad I didn't hit anything...

Now I have to fix it. The lines under the driver seat going to rear brakes are rusty. To replace them, I have to disconnect the line at the ABS unit. Did GM use "bubble" flair or "double" flair for 95 SDVs? The FSM said it was ISO flair. It sounds to me the same as European, but I am not sure. What were sold at auto shops around were "bubble" (=European) and "double" (=American) and Metric. I am quite confused... When I said ISO to them, they are like ??? So, I need someone who knows better than them.

Also, the nuts holding the line at the ABS unit are very tight. I put WD-40 on them and I will see tomorrow, but the bottom line is that I cannot afford to break them. Does anybody have any good ideas on how to remove them? They are standard 13 mm nuts, but since there is a line going at its center, a box wrench will not be an option. With an open wrench, I feel that it would strip the nut, because they are so tight...

Thanks in advance!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Zorb750 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 Eldorado

Re: Brake broke today

Broke? Interesting.

If you are using new line, you will have to use whatever style flare joints your adapters and connectors require.

Tommy Deville is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): None

There ar far too many stories on this forum about Caddy brake lines failing, Its somthing that should not happen, there needs to b a recall for all these models

Wrong spell, huh? Flair -> flare.

Anyway, I figured out that I need bubble, british, or ISO flare. Not double, American, or standard flare.

Also, I was able to remove the lines at ABS unit using a 1/2 wrench. I have several 1/2 open wrenches and a couple of them fit on due to slight variation in tolerance, I suppose. They fit real tight on the nuts and I was able to turn without stripping. With a 13 mm wrench, I don't think I was able to.

Interesting point to note is that each line has 2 different back-up nuts! One end is always smaller and another end has larger nut...

I am still working on...

Update:

I am now done. As a temporary fix, I put compression fittings to connect both rear break lines. For now, I don't see any leak from them. I do know it is not a recommended method though. I will see how good they are.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.