Metal Brake Line Flaring Issue: NEED HELP!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Suspension, Brakes and Tires Discussion, Metal Brake Line Flaring Issue: NEED HELP! in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; I have a 1994 STS that has had LOADS of good work done on it. A new engine has been ...
    chevyorange is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Angry Metal Brake Line Flaring Issue: NEED HELP!

I have a 1994 STS that has had LOADS of good work done on it. A new engine has been put in, which led to finding out that a fender bender in the past life of this car on the driver's side front wrecked the ABS unit. (Or the mechanic knocked it and won't take credit for it).

My problem is first, a month long search of finding fittings because when pulling out the old lines, most were stripped necessitating the replacment of the metal lines on the whole left side of the car.

NEARLY DONE, the mechanic cannot get the last part of the line to flare so it seats correctly to the brake (the metal line flare that the nut bolts over).

Can anyone tell me why he may be having trouble with this? Is anyone in Seattle that can help me (I'm disabled but can move around and walk for short periods) with any shops in Seattle or South End that do this brake line flaring?

Any and all input welcomed, I need my car back by the end of the week and this one end of the line is the only thing holding it up.

Adam

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Unhappy Re: Metal Brake Line Flaring Issue: NEED HELP!

I guess nobody has had this combo of a lazy mechanic and a franked up brake line that won't bolt up. Apparently he had a hard time finding even the fittings that go over the brake line before the flare. Took 3 months to track one down... still on hold waiting for the flare. I have a hot date on Friday and want my STS back!!

Thanks for letting me rant.

Krashed989 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 Eldorado, and a 99 ETC

Re: Metal Brake Line Flaring Issue: NEED HELP!

Double flares are VERY hard to do. It took me a long time to get it right on one of the first few tries. The flaring tool has to be attached to the line about 1/4 of an inch from the end. Then the clamp part of the tool has to perfectly centered on the end of the line otherwise the line will bend crooked. You use the concaved fitting first (its concaved with a pin in the middle so the hole doesn't close). Clamp it to the point where you get a good 'bubble' in the line. Then after that you have to use the regular flare fitting to fold the tip inside while spreading the end open.

Dear God. Thank you for the first answer that's made sense.

So, this guy could be telling me the truth tha he has gone to the same shop two or three times and they've managed to screw it up.

I found another shop that said it was "easy" so I directed my mechanic there - I assume this guy has been in the business awhile if he'd describe it as easy.

Thanks again.

100 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1995 Sedan De Ville (4.9 L)

I thought Cadillac uses (at least mine, 95 SDV) "bubble" flare, not double flare. Double flare will not seal at the ABS unit and proportional valves, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by 100
    I thought Cadillac uses (at least mine, 95 SDV) "bubble" flare, not double flare. Double flare will not seal at the ABS unit and proportional valves, I think.
    Are you sure about that?... It says double flare in my FSM... But then again I don't have a 95 SDV.

Quote Originally Posted by Krashed989
    Are you sure about that?... It says double flare in my FSM... But then again I don't have a 95 SDV.
    Now, I am working on my brake lines. IF they are double flare, I will be dead. Well, my FSM says they are ISO style flare and I think that is the proper name for the bubble flare, but when I say ISO style, everybody says "huh?".

Quote Originally Posted by 100
    Now, I am working on my brake lines. IF they are double flare, I will be dead. Well, my FSM says they are ISO style flare and I think that is the proper name for the bubble flare, but when I say ISO style, everybody says "huh?".
    ISO means metric... and usually with metric you use bubble flares... But my eldo uses ISO double flares... ISO double flares are rarely ever used which is why it's so hard to find the tool... There's a picture in the FSM... I found this pic of one too...

The surefire way for you to tell is to look at what the line connects into. Bubble flares go into concaved fittings and double flares go into convex fittings...
    bubble=male
    double=female

Yes, I am very sure that mine is at least different from either of them. And I am certain that what I need is bubble flare. My FSM says just "ISO" style, but from the figure in the FSM, I guessed that it is the same as bubble flare. I even didn't know there is ISO double flare. Isn't it confusing?

94CaddyConcours is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1994 CADILLAC DEVILLE CONCOURS, 350ZR

Quote Originally Posted by Krashed989
    Double flares are VERY hard to do. It took me a long time to get it right on one of the first few tries. The flaring tool has to be attached to the line about 1/4 of an inch from the end. Then the clamp part of the tool has to perfectly centered on the end of the line otherwise the line will bend crooked. You use the concaved fitting first (its concaved with a pin in the middle so the hole doesn't close). Clamp it to the point where you get a good 'bubble' in the line. Then after that you have to use the regular flare fitting to fold the tip inside while spreading the end open.
    Not if you have the pneumatic tool.
    Remeber the flare should be 45 degree for Auto not 37 like aviation.

Well, it appears that the problem is we have been sourced the wrong fitting. I am going to put a new post up, I need two fittings that go in at the ABS block. Mine are corroded and stripped when pulled out and no need new ones.

The line appears to be flared fine, yet when it is put in, it leaks without even having to put pressure on the pedal.

You can get adapter fittings at napa... I think they are called clutch adapters, but i could be wrong.

Question Re: Metal Brake Line Flaring Issue: NEED HELP!

I will give it a shot. It is an oddball size (small!) but I will try NAPA. I'm not sure if this is going to be a solution.

Thanks for the idea.

Adam

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.