Eibach springs for 98 STS......
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Suspension, Brakes and Tires Discussion, Eibach springs for 98 STS...... in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Hey All, In need of some assistance. Anyone here have pros and cons of the Eibach springs that lower the ...
    bharner is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Eibach springs for 98 STS......

Hey All,
    In need of some assistance. Anyone here have pros and cons of the Eibach springs that lower the 98-99 STS's an inch. I found this site http://www.engle-family.com/cadillac/project2.html and this guy seemed to have trouble. Any info would be greatly appreciated. I was planning on purchasing some tommorrow but saw this site today. Thanks

"If you aint part the problem, then you part the soution"

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

DaveSmed is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1968 Cadillac Sedan deVille, 1994 Chevrolet G20

Re: Eibach springs for 98 STS......

I'm interested in this too, anyone?

gdog1977 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Question Re: Eibach springs for 98 STS......

Well I took my 99 STS in to install the Eibach springs. I had concerns about the ride height in the back (putting shorter springs in and the ride height readjusts). I posted the old gmforums (what the f happened anyways) and someone told me to talk to Bob at XMS. I called him and he said there would be no problems, install and drive away he put it. Well anyways the shop told me the front springs wouldn't fit, said they were 180 degrees off and the strut isn't adjustable to fit. This lead them to call eibach and they swore the springs were the correct ones. The shop ask to talk to a different tech because they knew they didn't fit. The other tech added that if the ride height wasn't adjusted the rear would readjust just as I thought and the possibility of damage due the shorter spring. So no go for me. I've posted questions about rear ride height adjustment before, with no straight answers. I don't know WTF to do now???

gibson is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by gdog1977
    Well I took my 99 STS in to install the Eibach springs. I had concerns about the ride height in the back (putting shorter springs in and the ride height readjusts). I posted the old gmforums (what the f happened anyways) and someone told me to talk to Bob at XMS. I called him and he said there would be no problems, install and drive away he put it. Well anyways the shop told me the front springs wouldn't fit, said they were 180 degrees off and the strut isn't adjustable to fit. This lead them to call eibach and they swore the springs were the correct ones. The shop ask to talk to a different tech because they knew they didn't fit. The other tech added that if the ride height wasn't adjusted the rear would readjust just as I thought and the possibility of damage due the shorter spring. So no go for me. I've posted questions about rear ride height adjustment before, with no straight answers. I don't know WTF to do now???
    The hight sensors are located inside the back wheels.They are just in the front and can be seen without removing the wheels.They are connected in the chassi and the "arm that goes to the wheel" by a "rod".

This "rod"then connects to a arm on the hight level sensor.When this arm is horizontal,the car is in it's standard setting.
    If you then load the car,the chassi will go down and the arm will be forced up.The ELC will start and inflate the chocks until the arm is horizontal again.The rod is fastened with two 10mm nuts.

Now,if you shorten the rod the standard level will be lower and when lengthened, it will be higher.
    Here is where I got in some trouble.The rod looks like it can be adjusted but after sitting under the car for 4 years I was worried it would brake somehow if I tried to hard,so instead I bent it a little so it got about 1/2 inch shorter (it's about 5 inches).

Put the rod back in place and start the car.It should now settle in the lower setting.

JohnnyL,the wheel gap was more than 2 inches higher than in the front.Now it is a little less than 1 inch higher.

GKR
    GKR is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 06 CTS-V

I'm was in the process of installing the Eibach springs in my 99 STS tonight. That is until I discovered my blown strut on the passenger side! ARGH! But anyway, I can see what the mechanic was talking about. The top of the spring ends different than the stocker. I installed the driver's side already. I just made sure that the upper spring cup/bearing was pointed the correct way and the spring compressed and seated fine. I must admit I put it together and took it back apart a couple of time to be sure. The Eibach instructions state that you need to adjust (bend) the ride height sensors after installing the springs then disconect the battery so the system "resets". I'll post again as soon as the job is done.

GKR

Eibachs and new struts are in! I was expecting those struts to be gold plated or something after finding out what they cost. I had some pretty good noise coming from the front end so ended up calling Eibach. Found out that they shipped out my springs without any "noise isolation tubing" to quiet the coils contacting each other. They are shipping some out to me but it won't be here till the end of the week at the earliest. I took a 14" piece of 5/8th heater hose and slid it over the part of the spring where the coils were hitting. Smooth and quiet now. I still get a little noise from the rear but will deal with that later. Sure looks alot better and now I can pull a strut in about 5 minutes flat.

gdog1977 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Cool Man. I wish I had mine in. I still looking for a shop to do the job. The shop that had made an attempt dosen't want to give it another try. Thanks for the info. BTW, How's the ride quality?

GKR

The ride is nice, pretty close to stock. The only thing I noticed was when I was intentionally hitting some bumps pretty fast is that there is a little less rear wheel travel......could also be weak(soft) rear shocks maybe. I might replace them too after I get over paying for the fronts. The front took everything in stride. When you find an installer up there, tell them not to worry about where the springs ends end, just make sure that the upper spring seat angle matches the lower spring seat and that you have some type of "silencer" material on the springs. It just needs to be where the smaller upper coils go inside the larger ones.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.