Michelin Tires..
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Suspension, Brakes and Tires Discussion, Michelin Tires.. in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; I sure am a little mad now that I've been thinking this over for a few days I have a ...
    FredMaxwell is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Michelin Tires..

I sure am a little mad now that I've been thinking this over for a few days
    I have a set of Michelins on my 1979.. they cost me well over $500

Well they have 15,000 miles on them, or around that and they look like they've about had it. They are a few years old but still the 15,000 mile tires ought not to look like these do.

The only thing I can figure is that alot of fast highway driving did this to them BUT I did nearly all of it through the cool night time hours.

PS: I don't peel out often in the '79 when I drive it so that isn't what happened to these things.

Anyone here who does alot of fast (over 100mph) highway driving you might say a word or two about how well your tires hold up.

Now I could understand this if they were on one of my old Sevilles because I always peeled out all over hell with those and accepted the fact that I needed tires often.. or even if I'd done my high speed driving on hot pavement
    but this deal on these Michelins is really burning my ass
    I'm angry and mad about it!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Zorb750 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 Eldorado

Re: Michelin Tires..

Speed shouldn't have much effect on tire wear rates. Wheel allignment would be the biggest thing to think about. That and rotation. Front drive cars wear out front tires really quickly, even if you don't let them spin at all. Rear drive cars are actually pretty even in tire wear. Are all of your tires this worn?

Quote Originally Posted by Zorb750
    Speed shouldn't have much effect on tire wear rates. Wheel allignment would be the biggest thing to think about. That and rotation. Front drive cars wear out front tires really quickly, even if you don't let them spin at all. Rear drive cars are actually pretty even in tire wear. Are all of your tires this worn?

That makes sense.. it's pretty well aligned as it stays straight if you let go of the wheel or get on the brakes
    And they rotate them free where I bought them..

Also the car is RWD

Yes I know it's rear wheel drive. I mentioned both front and rear, just for information's sake. Your car is essentially the same as the Fleetwood of the time. The wheels can be out of alignment even if it drives straight. Have it checked. Belle Tire will do it for nothing, get the printout for it before you let them do anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Zorb750
    Yes I know it's rear wheel drive. I mentioned both front and rear, just for information's sake. Your car is essentially the same as the Fleetwood of the time. The wheels can be out of alignment even if it drives straight. Have it checked. Belle Tire will do it for nothing, get the printout for it before you let them do anything.

I better have that looked at then
    Riddle me this.. if it were out of alignment wouldn't the wear patterns be uneven?

Maybe maybe not. I had a case of camber misaligmnent in the rear a while back and the odd wear wasn't noticable at all unless you used a gauge on the inside and on the outside. It was about 1.5mm more worn inside than outside, on only one wheel. Other than that it was normal. You could also have the opposite misadjustment on each side, e.g. excessive toe in on both sides, excessive toe out on both sides. Toe out probems manifest as vibrations usually, toe in as bumping in parking lots. Turn the wheel all the way and do a slow circle, gradually increasing your speed by 2 mph or so with each rotation. If it gets to 8 or 10 mph without starting to jump outward or inward (you can hear it, and you will feel your tires jumping), toe in problem is unlikely.

Try not to get too dizzy. I guess lucky for me when troubleshooting things like this, or when playing my normal driving games, I don't.

My eldorado's left rear still has a camber problem, one they insist can't be fixed. Spec calls for 0 degrees, it's at -0.5. Not off by much, but I don't like off at all. They claim there's no adjustment for it. Both shops and dealer claim that all there is is a $1000 job to redo the rear suspension on that side. Idiots.

EcSTSatic is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1999 STS - diamond white

How much 100+ driving are you doing to even think that would cause significant wear!? I won't lecture you about driver safety but I bet someone will.
    Besides alignment probabilities mentioned, tire pressure affects wear. Also the weight of the car. That's one heavy chunk of iron, friction during contact with the pavement, especially in cornering causes wear.
    If you don't find anything amiss, you might consider cheaper tires if that's all the mileage you will get from them. Which Michelins do you have? Some are softer and wear faster than others.

DaveSmed is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1968 Cadillac Sedan deVille, 1994 Chevrolet G20

You know, I thought my crappy luck with Michelins was just me.... I always get the ones where the belt shifts, a chunk of tread departs, a sidewall bubble forms, etc... Not to mention it's been my experience that they dry rot at an above average rate. I dunno, maybe its me, maybe its not. I think i'll stick with Pirelli or Continental though.

Elvis is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '05 Expedition

I realize it's not the same car, but it's similar--I had a 1985 Delta 88. I went through the set of factory General tires in 15,000 miles. 90% highway miles over 70 mph. Alignment was within tolerances, the car was fresh from the factory. General tires suck.

I disagree about excessive speed. I believe it does cause premature wear, especially if the tires aren't properly inflated. You might also look into the rating. I realize they're all supposedly rated for 100+ mph, but I think that's a maximum speed rating, not a sustained speed for an extended period of time.

Just my opinion, worth what you paid for it.

Spyder is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): None now...1972 Challenger=my pride and joy.

You run over a hundred for a long time, and often, there's obviously going to be a whole lot more heat there...check your pressures and get a new set of tires. 15,000 mile tires shouldn't be all that expensive...that's not a whole lot of miles!

Rating refers to speed sustainable indefinitely. Inflation can definitely be an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by EcSTSatic
    How much 100+ driving are you doing to even think that would cause significant wear!? I won't lecture you about driver safety but I bet someone will.
    Besides alignment probabilities mentioned, tire pressure affects wear. Also the weight of the car. That's one heavy chunk of iron, friction during contact with the pavement, especially in cornering causes wear.
    If you don't find anything amiss, you might consider cheaper tires if that's all the mileage you will get from them. Which Michelins do you have? Some are softer and wear faster than others.

I don't drive over 10mph any more.. that was in another time and day for me so no need for the stories, appreciate the concern though.

I aint sure which ones they are they have a fancy name (I will check them tomorrow for you) s

Quote Originally Posted by Elvis
    I realize it's not the same car, but it's similar--I had a 1985 Delta 88. I went through the set of factory General tires in 15,000 miles. 90% highway miles over 70 mph. Alignment was within tolerances, the car was fresh from the factory. General tires suck.

I disagree about excessive speed. I believe it does cause premature wear, especially if the tires aren't properly inflated. You might also look into the rating. I realize they're all supposedly rated for 100+ mph, but I think that's a maximum speed rating, not a sustained speed for an extended period of time.

Just my opinion, worth what you paid for it.

What I always thought was this;
    Look at the maximum pressure on the sidewall,
    And give the tires three to four less psi than the maximum
    Because the pressure increases a bit when you're on the roadways

Quote Originally Posted by Spyder
    You run over a hundred for a long time, and often, there's obviously going to be a whole lot more heat there...check your pressures and get a new set of tires. 15,000 mile tires shouldn't be all that expensive...that's not a whole lot of miles!

Well they are 90,000 or 80,000 mile tires but I am sure there is a number of years and a "prorata BS refund so that I have to rebuy"

No, max specs are given as cold. Add 4 psi as a general rule if tires are hot.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.