Where can I find braided steel brake lines...
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Suspension, Brakes and Tires Discussion, Where can I find braided steel brake lines... in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; for my 1980 coupe deville?...
    durrk is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Where can I find braided steel brake lines...

for my 1980 coupe deville?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Re: Where can I find braided steel brake lines...

Ive done searches and havent had any luck.
    It appears there isnt any for cadillacs around this time.
    Would I be able to use some that are designed for a similar vehicle from around the same year?

96-deville-man is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

I would also like a set for my 96 sedan deville. front and back.

Dadillac is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 Kia Optima SX 2013 Kia Optima SXL

Most states (if not all) do not allow braided brake lines on vehicles. I am working off of "old knowledge", so if I am wrong, please alert me. Most of the braided lines you will find, are for race applications only. They do not meet USDOT regs. Check this out before you spend the money.

Don

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/G-SS-...spagenameZWDVW

On this listing for the 00-02 deville brake lines it states that they are legal on any public road....

I need some for my 80 coupe deville, but cant find any.... The only thing close is some for an 82 cimarron.

durkk

If you don't mind me asking, why are you looking for braided lines? If it is a performance thing, you may want to reconsider. A braided line will work wonders over a rubber line, when heavy braking is a constant (as in racing conditions) due to the extreme heat, that never dissipates. But if this is just your plain old car, that isn't being auto crossed, then a good quality rubber hose is perfect. Just thought I would throw that out there. Now if you want to do this for the "bling" factor, then no comment.

Don

Bling factor?
    Uhh, who's going to be looking at my brakelines?

Have you seen this thread?
    http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...e-warning.html

My car is 25+ years old, I dont want to be driving on the freeway one day and not be able to stop.

I just want good brake lines, rubber drys and cracks over time, and also expands under pressure while the steel will not. I guess you could say im looking for "improved preformance."

Bling factor?
    Uhh, who's going to be looking at my brakelines?

Have you seen this thread?
    http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...e-warning.html

My car is 25+ years old, I dont want to be driving on the freeway one day and not be able to stop.

I just want good brake lines, rubber drys and cracks over time, and also expands under pressure while the steel will not. I guess you could say im looking for "improved performance."

Hey, I am all for safety. But, having braided lines is way overkill. There have been somewhere in the neighborhood of about 52 billion automobiles produced over the years (give or take a few billion), that have rubber brake lines. I will venture to say, that almost none, have had a rubber brake hose deteriorate, before the car was 10 years old. There are always some, but minimal at best. Just buy new rubber hoses, bleed them properly, and don't worry about it. I will also assume that braided lines will run you at least double the cost of rubber lines?

I am 39 years old, will be 40 in May. I have owned about 15-17 cars, I can't remember exactly. Most of them, were more than 8 years old when I bought them. In all my 23 years, I have had one brake line problem. Only one. And that was a rotted hard line. Not even the rubber line, but the steel section.

I am not trying to talk you out of something you want to do, or feel you need to do. But do not let someones rare occurance, overtake your ability to reason why you may, or may not need to use a braided line. Trust me, I have read the post before, and i am in no way concerned about my brakes, or my wifes brakes.

Just something to consider.

Don

EcSTSatic is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1999 STS - diamond white

Quote Originally Posted by durrk
    Ive done searches and havent had any luck.
    It appears there isnt any for cadillacs around this time.
    Would I be able to use some that are designed for a similar vehicle from around the same year?
    Try Precision brakes. They may have them or build set for you. They cover my '99

Goobz! is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1997 Seville STS

I have a friend that owns a high performance shop that does brake conversions for Pontiac Fieros and some other cars. I know they build them for those, using Corvette and Porshce brake setups, so I will ask him if they can make them for the caddy as well.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.