Drum bust postulation
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Suspension, Brakes and Tires Discussion, Drum bust postulation in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; I don't know about anyone else, but I'm quite sick of drum brakes... I'm baffled why they were ever put ...
    Tailfin is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1996 Deville Concours

Drum bust postulation

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm quite sick of drum brakes... I'm baffled why they were ever put on... Many modern cars have all disc now, and I can feel the difference. Anyway, the point being, I'm curious to one with more experience than me, how feasible it is to convert the back brakes to disc...and if so, how it would be done. It seems, from my feeble knowledge of the subject, that it wouldn't be a lot more than putting calipers and such at the end of the line, except for the issue of the parking brake..unless the pressure back there is different...

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Krashed989 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 Eldorado, and a 99 ETC

Re: Drum bust postulation

Well, aside from cutting off the drum brake assembly and fabricating a bracket for the caliper to bolt onto, there's not much else that you would need to do. The emergency break shouldn't be too much of a problem because calipers that are made for the rear of a car are made with a mechanical lever that the cable attaches to. Other than that, you might need to get new proportioning valves because the ones that are on there might not put the right amount of pressure in the rear lines. Also, you don't have to, but you can do away with the metering valve that you would need for the drum brakes.

The reason why drum brakes were put on so many cars is because they were cheaper to produce than disk brakes.

Tailfin is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1996 Deville Concours

Thanks for the reply. Sounds like it's not too terrible...and I might just try it if I can bear to part with the cash I need for a welder... I know I could have someone do it, but I would like to have one... Anyhoo, I figured the rear brakes being drum were cost-related...but it just seems like a lot of trouble to go to in order to save money, and at the cost of performance, no less. The drum brakes seem to be more complicated to me.

I'm not familiar with those valves you mentioned...but I'm sure I can look that up, I do have the factory manual for this thing. The only other thing I'd wonder is...since rear calipers weren't made for the car initially, which would I use?...maybe there are some specs to look up...

EDIT: Ok I understand the proportion valve...just not the metering :P

Krashed989 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 Eldorado, and a 99 ETC

Metering valves are only on brake systems with a mix of drum and disk brakes. What it does is cut off pressure from going to the front disk brakes until the rear drum brakes have engaged. The system needs it to do this because the disk brakes' pads are almost, if not already touching the rotor while not being used, compared to the drum brakes that are miles away from engagement when not being used.

So, like I said before, You don't need to take it off, but you can if you want.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.