Little disc brake help...
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Suspension, Brakes and Tires Discussion, Little disc brake help... in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Ok, this is my first attempt at any brake work, and it will probably show... Anyhoo, I've got a 1990 ...
    Tailfin is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1996 Deville Concours

Little disc brake help...

Ok, this is my first attempt at any brake work, and it will probably show... Anyhoo, I've got a 1990 Fleetwood (4.5 FWD blah blah blah), it does not have the heavy duty brake package that was an option...and it does have abs and anti-lock, if that comes into play. Anyway, thanks to the indicator busting, I had no idea until recently that my left front wheel had eaten almost one entire side of a rotor, and the pad as well...so I got rotors and pads... No problem getting stuff off...I un-mounted the caliper and put the new pads on, and to my dismay, I discovered that with the caliper piston in its current position, there was nowhere near enough room between them to put it back over the destroyed rotor, let alone the new one. I'm just a little uneasy about forcing things, and am unsure how I should get that piston back where it belongs...so if someone could point me in the right direction, I'd be most grateful .

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Dadillac is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2015 Mazda3 S GT Hatchback 2013 Kia Optima SXL

Re: Little disc brake help...

For front brake calipers, you have to press the piston back in. What you do, is put an old brake pad in the caliper against the piston. Using either a C-clamp, or a brake piston clamp (which I use), you reset the piston back into the caliper. You will have to remove the master cylinder cap, and any excess fluid, so the fluid that is being pushed back through the lines, doesn't cause an overflow situation. Also, just in case you don't know this, DO NOT GET DOT3 BRAKE FLUID ON ANY PAINTED SURFACES. The brake fluid will liquify, and destroy the paint.

Don

Tailfin is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1996 Deville Concours

Re: Little disc brake help...

Ok I see... Well even with the bleeder screw open the darn thing wouldn't budge, so I ended up replacing the calipers too...what fun...but thanks much for the info, it's definitely useful to me.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.