Noise coming from driver side wheel
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Suspension, Brakes and Tires Discussion, Noise coming from driver side wheel in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; I have a 96 Seville STS. When my car is going 20 + mph and I make a slight turn ...
    turbo950 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Noise coming from driver side wheel

I have a 96 Seville STS. When my car is going 20 + mph and I make a slight turn to the right, I get a noticeable hum, maybe a grind, coming from the driver’s side wheel area. The farther I steer the wheel to the right the louder it gets. When I steer it to the left the hum goes away.
    I thought it was the wheel bearing. I’ve changed the bearing even though it didn't sound like a bearing going out to me. It didn't help. The noise still comes in when I turn to the right and goes away when I turn back to the left or hold it exactly center. I guess I ruled out a wheel bearing; Lot of money for poking in the dark.
    Could this be in the magna steering mechanism?
    Any thoughts as to the problem. There’s nothing rubbing against the wheel.
    Maybe it's noise from the other wheel bearing?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

caddydaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 Escalade 6.0L 2WD, 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited CRD

Re: Noise coming from driver side wheel

The same thing just happened on my '94 Deville! I replaced the wheel bearing, but am still getting this low growl noise. I can only assume it's the axle shaft on the drivers side. I would guess that's what's wrong with your STS as well.

Krashed989 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 Eldorado, and a 99 ETC

And the same thing is happening to my 94 eldo also... I don't think it's the CV half-shaft though because when I crank it all the way in either direction and do circles, it doesnt make any noise... After hours of searching, I think I may have found what was causing it, but I'm not sure. It seems that my inner tie rod end on the passenger side is going bad which might be allowing that wheel to vibrate when turning right and accelerating. Again, I'm not absolutely sure this is the cause, but it's a very likely possibility IMO.

Well guy's I found out the problem. The other bearing. I changed it out no noise! good lesson when you change out one bearing change the other. Especially when your car has 120,000 miles on it. sounds brand new. thanks for your help.

caddydaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 Escalade 6.0L 2WD, 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited CRD

I changed both bearings on my Deville, but I still get the same noise, so I don't know what it is now! Both my tie rod ends have been changed, so I know it's not them, I'm still thinking CV shaft.

Those cv shafts should make a clunking noise if you turn the wheel one way or another if the shaft joint is bad. Turn the wheel and go backward you should be able to hear it well then. I suppose it will be more noticable the more worn out it is. but you will hear it. Hope this helps.

AZ1996STS is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Hey guy, first post - my 1996 STS is immaculate, inside and out - my only problem is the one described in this thread, I couldn't have described it better. I'll keep in touch with what I find out about it.

chevyorange is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

I had this problem - a "rattling" on right hand turns. I had my CV joints replaced and it didn't fix it... a year later when the starter needed replacement the sound went away. Turns out the old starter's gear was sliding on the turns and hitting the flywheel causing the noise.

Just my two cents.

mtflight is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1999 White Diamond ETC

I have the hum when turning at slow speeds in either directions. Could it be both bearings are out??? almost 87K miles.

My CV joints are under warranty--so those would be better since my deductible is $100. I dunno if a hum is considered a failure though.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.